Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 07:22 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,100,570 times

Advertisements

You hate the area so much your still looking at the chicagoland discussions
get real

Old 04-03-2011, 07:23 AM

affordability?

Old 04-03-2011, 07:27 AM

If your within a decent drive come and visit the area.
You will find Evanston has a lot to offer from what your looking for.

Old 04-03-2011, 02:34 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,747,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre1983 View Post
20 pages of general advice has left my head spinning so let me ask a specific question. First here's my pertinent background information.

I live in suburban Milwaukee and am interviewing for a job 4 blocks north of Millennium Park. I want to live North of the city to be closer to my hometown but am looking for a work commute not much more than 30 minutes via car or train. It seems my best bet would be lower parts of Northern Cook county. I am looking for an apartment so I don't care much about property taxes, home prices, nor do I have any kids so schools are not a factor for me.

My question to you all is, what are some SAFE options in this area of the state that can get me to work in a reasonable amount of time? I know nothing of Chicago or the vicinity so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
If you want to be within 30 minutes of work you need to be looking at the northern parts of the city. I don't know if it's worth adding an extra 20-30 minutes to your day by being somewhere like Des Plaines for the sake of saving 10-15 minutes on your occasional visits to WI. Make your day to day life easier and more enjoyable by living closer to work, especially since you don't have to worry about schools.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:58 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,259,148 times
Default There is REALLY no good reason to be so sanctimonious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Well, I'll beg the question: There's really no good reason to live outside the city at all. We have regional problems and good points.
Candidly it is a matter of personal preferences. The city is too dense for me, and I like living in a town with good schools for ALL residents without having to apply to a magnet or charter school. I like the quieter aspects and the pockets of undeveloped, wooded areas as well. I do not like needing a car to make shopping practical and the lack of choices in good, non-chain restaurants. I like the ease of finding "free" parking and I like my decent 1/5 acre yard. I like being able to hop on my bicycle and safely & quickly be biking country roads in Lake & McHenry County WITHOUT worrying about getting doored or the hassles of urban bicycling.
And as an outside salesman, based from home, this is an ideal area to commute suburb to suburb when visiting clients.
So, I will respect your desire and enjoyment of city life; there are very nice neighborhoods in Chicago and appealing aspects to city life, but there is no need to make disparaging remarks towards those of us who prefer and enjoy suburban living instead of city living!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs