Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 04:41 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times

Advertisements

I wonder if the OP might consider some parts of Chicago that are not really all that much less safe than some of the cheaper suburbs. There is, I believe, a fals assumption that there is some kind of huge premium to live someplace like Canaryville or Pilsen. The newer units in some of those areas are kind of pricey but in the main the older smaller units are cheap and convenient to UIC, and not all that likely to result in some ugly encounter with criminals...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 07:45 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,786,609 times
I think some areas of the city could work well in terms of distance and amenities, but part of the list was "quiet" and "treelined" (I'm guessing a quaint type of place) which may be harder to fine in a place like Pilsen.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:48 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times
There aren't many rentals in Riverside, but it is close to UIC and very safe and woodsy. And there are some apartments there near the downtown and along the train. Just stay off Harlem Avenue, which is noisy and somewhat low rent.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:02 PM

Good call on Riverside. If the OP can find a decent rental, it is certainly beautiful, but the trade off is the downtown is a bit dead, but Berwyn is not far, and you can always bus, drive or bike to amenities in towns close by.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownperson View Post
...but the trade off is the downtown is a bit dead, but Berwyn is not far, and you can always bus, drive or bike to amenities in towns close by.
You can get a drink at Mollie's Public House, the bar at the Chew Chew Cafe, or the Riverside Tap Room. And there are a few options for good grub, and an independent coffee shop--along with a few other quirky businesses and a grocery store. It's not bustling, but it has some function.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:19 PM

374 posts, read 1,036,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I wonder if the OP might consider some parts of Chicago that are not really all that much less safe than some of the cheaper suburbs. There is, I believe, a fals assumption that there is some kind of huge premium to live someplace like Canaryville or Pilsen. The newer units in some of those areas are kind of pricey but in the main the older smaller units are cheap and convenient to UIC, and not all that likely to result in some ugly encounter with criminals...
Definitely not bad advice, especially for someone looking for an urban experience. But I think the OP is looking for cheap and quiet, tree lined streets and close by forests.

OP, check out Oak Park, Forest Park and Berwyn. If you live in Forest Park or south Oak Park, try to find a place walking distance to the blue line. That train will take you a few blocks from UIC. Thatcher Woods is a nearby forest preserve. A little further further west there are even more.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:24 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsk1983 View Post
The Pink Line no longer goes to UIC. The northern part of Berwyn along Roosevelt Road isn't that far of a walk to the Blue Line though.
According to this, the pink line polk stop serves the UIC east campus.

Directions | University of Illinois at Chicago

Old 01-29-2013, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
You can get a drink at Mollie's Public House, the bar at the Chew Chew Cafe, or the Riverside Tap Room. And there are a few options for good grub, and an independent coffee shop--along with a few other quirky businesses and a grocery store. It's not bustling, but it has some function.
That's true, and I like Chew Chew. I suppose if bustling is not a concern for the OP and his partner, Riverside could be pretty great.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:41 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,464,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Lookout Kid, where have you been? Great to see you back!

Agree on downtown Riverside. I go to Chew Chew and Mollie's relatively frequently. Both are excellent. Hopefully Mollie's remains in that space, which has been somewhat of a revolving door for whatever reason. They seem to be doing well. I've heard good things about the Tap Room.

There are a few large rental buildings right downtown Riverside which will put you right on top of these. And if you live there, Berwyn's Depot District with the James Joyce, Olive or Twist Martini bar, George's (a totally underrated dive bar), and other stuff is right nearby.

The issue here would be he'd be limited to the Metra and would have to get to UIC from Union Station. Still, it is a very nice, quiet area.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Lookout Kid, where have you been? Great to see you back!
Thanks, man! I am moving soon--possibly near your neck of the woods, so my interest in the forums has been revived after a bit of a break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs