Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2012, 12:38 PM

17 posts, read 15,700 times

Advertisements

I am going to be taking classes in Old town and the surrounding areas about 2-4 nights per week. I'd be driving into Chicago between 3 and 5 and leaving around 8 to 10 on these given weeknights. I am starting to entertain the idea of living in a suburb because I have 3 dogs and want a chance to get something bigger for my money. I want to keep my drive to and from class under 90 minutes. I'm not sure where to start looking. How expensive are the west suburbs? I was in Geneva a couple weekends ago and I really liked it...but I'm not sure how long of a drive it is from central Chicago. I'd like to be able to get a nice 2 bedroom place for under 1200. Is that doable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 01:02 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Geneva is really an awfully long drive from Old Town. It is on the price side, though you probaby could find a basic 2 bd apt for $1200. Honestly even a suburb like Elmwood Park that is technically about as close you get to Old Town and not be inside the city (and pretty affordable) is not all that super convenient to get to Old Town at rush hour...

For towns that are affordable and have good sized yards for pets I'd look around Burbank or Summitt, but that are near southwest and not really convenient to Old Town.

Maybe stay in the City until you are done with your classes...

Old 07-06-2012, 12:13 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Evanston and Skokie would allow you to take public transportation and get you to your destination in well under an hour.

Finding an apartment/house, anywhere, that will accpet 3 dogs is likely going to be your greatest challenge.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:38 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,263,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Evanston and Skokie would allow you to take public transportation and get you to your destination in well under an hour.

Finding an apartment/house, anywhere, that will accpet 3 dogs is likely going to be your greatest challenge.
Agreed. Not sure if in your budget, but you can also add Niles, Morton Grove and Lincolnwood to the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs