Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2012, 01:45 PM

51 posts, read 265,431 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Chicago and my neighbor has dogs which are barking day and night. Simply, I can't just open a window for night and not to be waken up by a dog. I was thinking about moving to the suburbs, but are there any areas where people can not have dogs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 08:00 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
I don't know of any but I know Fox Lake gives out barking tickets to owners of such noisy pooches.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:08 PM

Sounds like a civilized place, I would be giving out $500 tickets for barking from 10pm - 8am.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:32 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,263,285 times
Around here the neighbors try to work it out with each other. But I do know of an incidence when either police or animal control was called because one neighbor was not responsive enough to another neighbors complaints about the dog barking.
Our dog barks a lot, but we try to limit what time she goes out and if it's early or late try to shush her. If it's during the day she gets to bark. She will bark at people walking by, other dogs and during play-all normal dog behavior

Old 04-18-2012, 02:28 PM

247 posts, read 688,754 times
There are apartment/condo/townhouse complexes that don't allow dogs. I don't know of any municipalities that don't allow dogs. Some limit the number of animals one may own, and most will ticket noise violations.

I disagree with barking being normal dog behavior. I have had two dogs now that have not barked. I can count the number of times my current dog has barked on one hand, and I mean it's been one "woof" and that's it. I've trained them to bark only when necessary; unlike my neighbor's three dogs that bark every time the wind blows, a leaf falls, a bee buzzes by...they only bark from sunup to sundown though, so I guess I should count my blessings

Check out this website. It may help you out http://www.barkingdogs.net/

Last edited by supportyourschools; 04-18-2012 at 02:30 PM.. Reason: found website

Old 04-18-2012, 03:27 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,263,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supportyourschools View Post
There are apartment/condo/townhouse complexes that don't allow dogs. I don't know of any municipalities that don't allow dogs. Some limit the number of animals one may own, and most will ticket noise violations.

I disagree with barking being normal dog behavior. I have had two dogs now that have not barked. I can count the number of times my current dog has barked on one hand, and I mean it's been one "woof" and that's it. I've trained them to bark only when necessary; unlike my neighbor's three dogs that bark every time the wind blows, a leaf falls, a bee buzzes by...they only bark from sunup to sundown though, so I guess I should count my blessings

Check out this website. It may help you out Everything there is to know about chronic barking & how to stop it
While I don't disagree with your sentiments, and our dog doesn't bark at everything-she is greeting or protecting her turf. Fox Terriers are quite verbal. I'll look at the link, always good to teach a dog new things.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:54 AM

247 posts, read 688,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
While I don't disagree with your sentiments, and our dog doesn't bark at everything-she is greeting or protecting her turf. Fox Terriers are quite verbal. I'll look at the link, always good to teach a dog new things.
Agreed, there are some breeds that are more prone to bark. I will admit that both of my non-barking dogs were shelter dogs of indeterminate breed, so I may have just gotten lucky.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:19 PM

588 posts, read 1,800,109 times
Why end at barking. I have three German Shepherds and they at times will howl with each other like a pack of wolves. They also bark at the oxygen in the air. But at least I'm fairly confident if Mr. Homeburglar is walking my neighborhood while I'm not home, he'll move on to the neighbors house.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:23 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,350,260 times
No, you are best in an apartment or condo that does not allow pets. My friend lives in such a condo.
Here is a site that gives some strategies about dealing with dog noise. Everything there is to know about chronic barking & how to stop it

Unfortunately, there is a difference in what some think is tolerable and what is not: some people will not tolerate ANY noise whatsoever from an animal is an infringement on their peace and quiet. AND the fact that some people deal with any request to manage their behaviors as a personal affront and turn it back against you into hostility or (yes) threats.

Old 04-22-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofcjim40 View Post
Why end at barking. I have three German Shepherds and they at times will howl with each other like a pack of wolves. They also bark at the oxygen in the air. But at least I'm fairly confident if Mr. Homeburglar is walking my neighborhood while I'm not home, he'll move on to the neighbors house.
Thankfully you are not my neighbor. Have you heard of house alarm and video cameras? They at least don't bark at the air.

Gardener34, thanks for your post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs