Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 03:47 PM

143 posts, read 460,052 times

Advertisements

My daughter is doing an internship in Buffalo Grove this summer (in the area of Half Day Road and Milwaukee) She has the option of living with one of her friends in the city. Is it viable to consider a commute from downtown Chicago?

I'm thinking that might be a bit far so I've checked into temporary housing but have no idea if the areas are safe for a co-ed to live alone. The complexes I've come across are AMLI Wheatlands and AMLI Chevy Chase. Any thoughts on Vernon Hills, Lake Zurich or nearby north coast towns?

Everyone tells her to live in the city but I think something closer to her place of employment might make more sense. Are there any suburbs that she would prefer, like for social activities with college-aged/twenty somethings? Safety is my primary concern. I appreciate any insights you can provide.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 03:59 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,340,191 times
I would look for something in Buffalo Grove, focus on that area. If she has a friend downtown, that friend will probably also be willing to let her sleep there on the weekend on occasions when she wants to go downtown for socializing. I think that is way more realistic and she won't miss out. The internship should be her focus, not partying it up in the city. The commute is not horribly unreasonable but its not good, it is especially not good for an intern who needs to make a good impression.

I'm a young person who lives in the suburbs, there are way more of us out here than some people will have you believe. The bottom line is though, that her internship is what is most important -- and she does have friends downtown which should make visiting the city easier for her and should be a nice compromise.

I have moved across the country as a young person a few times. Personally, I always opt for the suburbs at first anyway until I know an area better and know what parts of town are good or bad. She will more than likely be relieved to be in a safe area where it is easy to get to work and not have to worry too much about her safety.

As for Vernon Hills -- very safe. Lake Zurich, nice but not worth the drive. You can definitley find something temporary close to buffalo grove or in buffalo grove.

The only areas I would tell you to avoid in the north subs would be around North Chicago.

Old 03-30-2008, 04:19 PM

545 posts, read 2,043,029 times
Your daughters safety will depend alot on her ; if she into the typical Bar hopping scene given her age, she increases the risk of meeting wrong people regardless of what area she lives in. And..most definetely in the City of Chicago. I dont think i need to elaborate on the typical 'fun scene' that is prevalent in our Culture today and the dangers that go with the territory. Yes im a middle aged man now but, ive been there and done that and i think that young women are quite vulnerable especially today . They can minimize the danger by being wise, mature, responsible , and apply good values to their life .... if they are so inclind. Anyway...just some food for thought . The NorthShore area is a VERY nice area , probably the safest around, but very expensive to live there. Vernon Hills is close to me and id say it is certainly more affordable and upscale. Great shopping , and lots to do. Lake Zurich is about the same as Vernon Hills and more out in the country.

Old 03-30-2008, 04:29 PM

P.S. The commute from Vernon Hills or Lake Zurich to B.G. isnt too bad in the morning, but if she goes Route 83 coming home from work...it can be a total nightmare. If she wants to minimize driving time, she should seriously consider living in Buffalo Grove/Arlington Heights/or Palatine. All 3 of these communities are nice and have lots of things to do in them. Lots of young people , single and families.

Old 03-30-2008, 06:54 PM

143 posts, read 460,052 times
Thank so much for responding. Your insights have been tremedously helpful. I was inclined to have her live in the BG area. Now I have some feedback I can use to support my position. Are there any areas to avoid in BG? The Wheatland complex is southwest of Deerfield and Milwaukee. Is this a good area in which to live? Another complex is the North Museum Gardens complex in Gregg's Landing by the mall in Vernon Hills. Would that be preferable to The Wheatland complex? Again, thanks for responding.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millennialmom View Post
Thank so much for responding. Your insights have been tremedously helpful. I was inclined to have her live in the BG area. Now I have some feedback I can use to support my position. Are there any areas to avoid in BG? The Wheatland complex is southwest of Deerfield and Milwaukee. Is this a good area in which to live? Another complex is the North Museum Gardens complex in Gregg's Landing by the mall in Vernon Hills. Would that be preferable to The Wheatland complex? Again, thanks for responding.
REPLY: Im sorry, but i know nothing of the Wheatland complex, but the other one isnt too far from me and id have to say it is a good community being Vernon Hills , and with plenty to do . Vernon Hills Days in the summer includes live concerts in the Park each week and a major event running 4th of July week which i usually attend. If she likes diversed shopping and ethnic restaurants , and summertime activities... she will like Vernon Hills . Plenty of parks nearby for bike riding, jogging, nature trails, etc.. with an upscale Mall called Hawthorne Mall (although i think it just changed its name recently on Route 60 and Route 21) . There should be quite a few ads for people looking for a roomate to share a house or apartment around your daughters age. Id consider Vernon Hills safe and well enforced . Id consider it upscale and a desirable area to live especially for people 20-40 years old. David.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:15 AM

179 posts, read 496,544 times
Don't forget that the Edens is under construction this summer and will be down to one lane each way. The normal city => BG commute of Kennedy => Edens => Spur => Tri-State => IL-22 exit => wherever in BG will take well over an hour each way. The Edens from Lake-Cook just down to the Kennedy alone in the afternoon is an hour, and that's only to go 10-15 miles.

What's your daughter's internship? I mean what type of business?

Old 03-31-2008, 09:29 AM

179 posts, read 496,544 times
Historical traffic stats (http://tinyurl.com/ytzurm - broken link) going back to last October. This is for going to/from Lake-Cook/Edens to downtown.

You can probably add 15 minutes minimum to get to the Edens from Buffalo Grove, and then another 15-20 minutes to get off the expressway in Chicago and make your way to wherever. It could easily be two hours each way, or four hours total.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:07 AM

677 posts, read 4,209,369 times
Both of those AMLI complexes are very nice, your daughter should have no problem living in either one.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:33 AM

28 posts, read 119,534 times
Come on, none of the guys in here have piped in yet with "Well I have an extra room...."???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs