Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2007, 11:57 AM

7 posts, read 16,711 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move to Chicago, but are very concerned about commute times. We've never lived >30-40 minutes from work and wonder if anything exists like that in Chicago. We are willing to spend $500-600K for a home with a yard, but don't know if that exists under 45 minutes from areas like the University of Chicago or Northwestern's downtown campus. Similarly, is it practical to try to drive down to those areas or is it more efficient to use the public transit systems? I've got kids that will need to get to daycare, so I don't know how public transit would figure in to that equation. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2007, 12:15 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,416,599 times
You should look into Hinsdale, Oak Park, Evanston. I believe youd be better using PT than trying to drive.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:18 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,358,639 times
Lagrange, Western springs, and Elmhurst are options also as you have a high budget. I think these all have a train.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:46 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,638,610 times
you can afford a house virtually anywhere in the chicago region in that price range

Old 09-05-2007, 01:58 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,358,639 times
Yes, have you considered living in chicago or Oak Park?

Old 09-05-2007, 02:01 PM

62 posts, read 224,863 times
You'll be able to find a nice home with yard for your price range in Evanston, and a little smaller nice home in Wilmette. I'm most familiar with these towns, and I'd recommend them considering your scenario. I used to commute to Northwestern Mem Hosp. (right by NU's downtown campus) from Evanston via car (35 min.) or L train (1 hour). My husband works near U of C and his commute from Evanston is usually 40-60 min. in the car. My current commute to Evanston Northwestern Hospital is 15 min. whether in car or on bike...a big bonus!
There are many daycare options available to you, which I'm sure you could work into your commute. Good luck with your search.

Old 09-05-2007, 02:15 PM

198 posts, read 822,585 times
Both universities are accessible via the L system to most parts of the city but if you come into the city from the suburbs you have already commuted 25minutes - ie from Elmhurst to Evanston the quickest commute on public transportation using express trains would be about an hour but if you miss your connecting train you will be stuck commuting for 2 hours. But buying a home in a good city neighborhood with a big lot may be out of the question and with a poor public school system (yes there are 2 or 3 exceptional public schools but that's it so just try to get into them - everyone wants to send their kids there) as a result the private elementary and high schools like the U of C's Lab School charge public university level tuitions.
I have a cousin that works for the U of C and just getting out of the city can take 30 minutes. Two weeks ago she came out to Hinsdale and it took her over an hour in rush hour traffic. There is no easy way to do public transportation from the suburbs to U of C. But there are at least suburbs that may fit into the 30-45 minute time figure on a good day where your money will go further than other areas. Sticking close to I-55 may save you time and allow you to go a bit further out and get more for your money because 5 miles on the expressway is much different that 5 miles of interior driving. Hinsdale (@25 miles from downtown) is a very tough market for your price range but LaGrange (@17 miles from downtown) would probably work, not only would you get a bigger home but it would be closer to U of C.
Evanston is so far east that the only 30 minute drive you will have is in the north shore which is super expensive. You could fight Dempster (a street that goes east to & west from Evanston) for 30-45 minutes and live in Glenview. But I think you will be shocked at how much your budget won't buy you. My husband commutes to Evanston everyday and it takes him an hour and a half each way but we can't afford even close to the size home we have now for our family of 5 and the taxes are almost 3 times what we have here. The towns that run along the metra route into Evanston are all the beautiful but very expensive North Shore towns along Lake Michigan.
Oak Park is close to the city (10 miles) and right off of 2 L lines but the L stops everywhere and you would be on it for over at least an hour and would need to transfer downtown. You won't get the big yard you want and the home will be older with lots of character but not huge. You could drive from there to either location with U of C being the closer commute but again plan on being on the road for quite some time because it's not a direct route.
I would steer you towards the LaGrange area and U of C based on you needs/wants. Good Luck to you.

Last edited by mdz; 09-05-2007 at 06:52 PM.. Reason: edited "if you were my client"--you know you can't advertise that here

Old 09-05-2007, 10:22 PM

7 posts, read 16,711 times
Wow! You have all been very helpful! Thank you very much! My concern is heavily reliant on the commute time, which you seem to support. We're thinking of other cities as well (e.g. Columbus, Madison, Minneapolis, etc.) and are inclined against Chicago because of the commute. Our money will go farther in other cities, so we'll probably lean towards them, especially given commute times really shouldn't top 30-40 minutes in those cities. I've always been a mid-size city guy and probably should stick with one. Sorry for wasting your time, but I do appreciate your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs