Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 04:15 PM

11 posts, read 20,746 times

Advertisements

Are there any rules about Illinois Realtor showings? I got my first house showing feedback, the prospective buyer did not like the backyard. It looks like a fair taste opinion. My issue with it is that I waited "hidden" in the street outside my home and I saw nobody enter in my home but the Realtor who stayed there 20 minutes alone. I saw him gone alone! Now I wonder what he did in my home? Can anybody tell me any encouraging words! I feel violated, an strange man alone in my home for 20 minutes doing only God knows.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 05:21 PM

26,053 posts, read 22,250,461 times
Maybe the realtor was inside waiting for someone that didn't show up? Our house is on the market in KS and we insist on being present. You'd be surprised how many realtors just let prospective buyers have the run of the house. Also, you might feel continually violated while your house is on the market, we always do. I would probably just ask the realtor what was going on, tell him/her that I was across the street and what I saw.

Old 10-15-2014, 05:27 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,497,793 times
Yeah, call the bastard out on it! Let him know you literally watched him standing in there alone, and then ask why he was providing negative feedback from a buyer that wasnt even there! After that I would contact his office and demand an explanation from his manager, then request a new realtor. If you dont stick it to companies nowadays, theyll walk all over you. Get tough!

Old 10-15-2014, 05:34 PM

5,234 posts, read 8,002,435 times
So you got an opinion back from the realtor the propective buyer didn't like the backyard, but you saw no one come to see the house and the realtor was alone there for 20 minutes, is that what you are saying? So you wonder what he was doing as no client showed up? If you saw no one else actually come to visit the house, how could you get a negative back regarding the property? I'd be asking the boss of your agent that question. And be looking for another realtor. The last thing you need is a liar, I hate realtors.

Old 10-15-2014, 05:37 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,253,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewSellerthenBuyer View Post
Are there any rules about Illinois Realtor showings? I got my first house showing feedback, the prospective buyer did not like the backyard. It looks like a fair taste opinion. My issue with it is that I waited "hidden" in the street outside my home and I saw nobody enter in my home but the Realtor who stayed there 20 minutes alone. I saw him gone alone! Now I wonder what he did in my home? Can anybody tell me any encouraging words! I feel violated, an strange man alone in my home for 20 minutes doing only God knows.

Thanks!
Well obviously if you were already sitting in your car watching him go into your house then you were already EXPECTING him to be there at that time. That strongly suggests that the buyer was running late does it not? Was he supposed to go drive around until the buyer gets there? Sit in his car and twiddle his thumbs?

At any rate, you can't presume he was doing something derogatory. He could have been on the phone with the buyer giving him directions, on the phone with someone else, etc. When you put your home on the market, people are going to be in your home that are strangers. It just comes with the territory and that's why there are licensing requirements for realtors - it's not like it's just Joe Schmo off the street, this is a professional engaging in precisely the sort of work he is supposed to be doing.

I don't mean to sound callous but you seem upset that you didn't get the feedback you wanted on the showing and you're looking for someone to blame, and the realtor is a convenient target.

Just my $0.02 based on your side of the story.

Old 10-15-2014, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Well obviously if you were already sitting in your car watching him go into your house then you were already EXPECTING him to be there at that time. That strongly suggests that the buyer was running late does it not? Was he supposed to go drive around until the buyer gets there? Sit in his car and twiddle his thumbs?

At any rate, you can't presume he was doing something derogatory. He could have been on the phone with the buyer giving him directions, on the phone with someone else, etc. When you put your home on the market, people are going to be in your home that are strangers. It just comes with the territory but that's why there are licensing requirements for realtors - it's not like it's just Joe Schmo off the street, this is a professional engaging in precisely the sort of work he is supposed to be doing.

I don't mean to sound callous but you seem upset that you didn't get the feedback you wanted on the showing and you're looking for someone to blame, and the realtor is a convenient target.

Just my $0.02 based on your side of the story.
But apparently the buyer never did show up. So unless the realtor met with the buyer at a later date where is this negative feedback coming from?

OP, could it be that the buyer was a no show that day and looked at the house later with the realtor? In any case you need to sort this out with the realtor and the boss.

As far as the stranger in your house, chances are he was trying to call the buyer to see where he is. Or calling someone else. If you don't have confidence and trust in the realtor, get someone else.

Old 10-15-2014, 05:42 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,286,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewSellerthenBuyer View Post

Thanks!
This sounds pretty normal. If you don't want any strangers in your house you should probably not sell, sell it yourself, or have a family member/friend sell it for you.

Old 10-15-2014, 05:50 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,253,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
But apparently the buyer never did show up. So unless the realtor met with the buyer at a later date where is this negative feedback coming from?

OP, could it be that the buyer was a no show that day and looked at the house later with the realtor? In any case you need to sort this out with the realtor and the boss.

As far as the stranger in your house, chances are he was trying to call the buyer to see where he is. Or calling someone else. If you don't have confidence and trust in the realtor, get someone else.
I figured he might have been video-chatting with the buyers, taking pictures, etc. It could have been that the buyers had an unexpected emergency and couldn't show up. The point is OP shouldn't assume he was up to no good.

Old 10-15-2014, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
I figured he might have been video-chatting with the buyers, taking pictures, etc. It could have been that the buyers had an unexpected emergency and couldn't show up. The point is OP shouldn't assume he was up to no good.
Ya, that could be too. What she needs to do is talk to the realtor about it rather than assuming anything. But if she has no trust in this realtor, best to get someone she does trust to be in her house.

Old 10-15-2014, 06:22 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,352,028 times
Chicago suburbs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
View detailed profiles of: