Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2012, 03:48 PM

97 posts, read 144,303 times

Advertisements

It is a sad story but my wife and I are getting a divorce. I work in the city, she works in Naperville. We will have shared custody of our two kids. We currently live in Oswego but since I would like to live somewhere closer to the city, commute wise.

We'd like to keep it under 275k each, and my wife sort of demands a nice-ish home. Does not need to be perfect but not a complete POS either. Is there anything that fits this bill? I'd love La Grange or somethign but I do not think I'd find much in my price range there.

Any other ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 04:28 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,413,242 times
If your kids are school aged you really have some tough choices. The research that exists about the value of a supportive schools to children of divorce is quite clear: Schools and teachers make a BIG difference in how children overcome the challenges of divorce. Here are some starting points: http://extension.missouri.edu/p/GH6611 http://childrenanddivorce.bizland.com/rfep/id1.html

There are several dozen listings in LaGrange and Western Springs under $300k and I believe it is not unrealistic to consider that some may be purchased for close to your target. The key is understanding that the prime spots for tear downs are still commanding prices above $300k so you have to understand you are going to have to accept trade-offs -- think closer to a busier street instead of across from an elementary school or playground... You also ought to know that there are pre-WWII mansions in the area that routinely sell for many multiples of your target price, so those are out of your range. What is in your range are the well built but not particularly charming homes of the 1950s like split levels. There are also some older Cape Cods and bungalows that may not have the same kind of amenities that newer homes come with like master baths.

You can also find some good values along the BNSF in Brookfield, especially the section nearest the Zoo that shares elementary schools with Riverside. Very good commute options. Further to the east Berwyn has excellent housing stock though the school situation at Morton West prevents me from making a whole hearted endorsement.

Along the UP-W line Lombard is a good value, schools by objective measures are a step down from the performance of those in LaGrange. Further east there are few homes in Oak Park's most desirable neighborhoods in your price range though there are some that may be worth considering if you understand the trade -offs.

To the north / NW of Chicago there are homes in Skokie and Niles that have some of the same drawbacks as the 1950 homes of LaGrange and may offer the ability to combine public transit for a 40 minute commute. Palatine has a charming little core of attractive homes near its train station that may push the limits of your commute radius and won't be appealing for a Naperville commute.

The south suburbs, like Oak Lawn, do offer some surprising convenient commute times. The mix of houses in some areas is rather nice. Schools have a wider range of performance so neighborhood selection needs to be a little more deliberate. Of course distance to Napervlle could be a deal killer.

Bottom line, there are no "secret pockets" of cheap "nice-ish" homes that are magically close to employment centers...

Old 05-25-2012, 04:30 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,785,015 times
Lombard, if you catch an express train.

Old 05-25-2012, 05:08 PM

169 posts, read 550,860 times
Downers Grove popped into my head based on what we've seen, even though when we were still considering it our budget was up to 350k (ruled it out b/c of my husband's job location). Sorry about your situation, I hope you can find something that works for your whole family!

Old 05-26-2012, 01:05 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,277,465 times
Where you ultimately move will be determined by who has the children during the school week? The children won't be as much concerned about living in two houses as they will be by not having a "family". The more time that you and their mother can use to maintain a family unit and do things together as a family, the better the children will adjust and accept the fact you don't live together. It's really okay because males and females have different roles in the family. It is important for children to know they are loved and that adult problems are not their fault.

Children are not little pawns in a adult game of Chess. I see what this does to children as I watch my grandchildren being used by one parent to torment the other. On the other hand my cousin and her husband never divorced. They lived apart for 30 years and raised four nice kids and enjoyed their grandchildren as a family until he died.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:35 AM

169 posts, read 550,860 times
I guess some clarification would help as linicx brings up a good point. Are you looking for an area where you both will live and want to live in the same town as your kids or is this home just for your wife and where the kids will attend school?

Old 06-08-2012, 09:26 AM

1 posts, read 1,318 times
Default House for sale in Naperville

Not sure if your wife would want to move to Naperville, but I have a completely updated home I am selling. It is $299K (I know your budget was less) but you mentioned your wife would like something more updated. It is near Washington and Gartner, District 203 schools. Walk to Casey's/Trader Joe's if she knows where that is. If interested, let me know and I can send more information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs