Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 11:03 PM

5 posts, read 6,473 times

Advertisements

My family and I will be relocating to Chicago. (husband job in downtown area). I have a child in High school and one child with special needs in elementary school. Would like to rent a 2 or 3 bedroom in a middle class area . Where should we consider moving? I know that is a broad question. But here are a few factors:

1. Need excellent school system
2. Safe area ( no where is 100 % safe)
3. Diverse neighborhood
4. Close to Train station (husband commute)
I've read so many reviews I actually have a headache trying to figure out where to look. So far I have Bolingbrook, North Aurora on my list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2010, 12:19 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,818,404 times
What kind of budget are you working with?

Old 12-11-2010, 02:30 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,202,972 times
Are you and your family trying to move to the city or suburbs?

City: Wicker Park/Bucktown, send teen to Lincoln Park High(very diverse high school). All of which are in a 2 mile radius from downtown.
http://iirc.niu.edu/School.aspx?scho...50162990250047

suburb: Oak Park, IL meets your criteria as far as safety and schools go. Considered a liberal suburb by Chicagoland standards. It demographic makeup is two-thirds whites, largest minority are African Americans by a long shot. Oak Park is only 6-7 miles from the Loop(Chicago CBD), so that is a big plus for your husband.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 12-11-2010 at 02:40 AM..

Old 12-11-2010, 07:10 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,421,872 times
Default Neither Bolingbrok nor North Auroa are on train lines...

...and frankly you can probably do better on schools elsewhere too.

If you are primarily concerned with affordabilityther are some nice values in Lisle and Westmont, which probably have some of the better options for train service. You can up top notch schools, but that is really only in comparison to neighboring districts like Hinsdale and Naperville, where both housing costs and school ranking tend to be very very high indeed...

If youbdo decide to investigate Oak Park you will give up space and housing costs are high, but you would have more neighbors with what is perceived as liberal sensibilities.

The Evanston schools outperform those in Oak Park and have similar sensibilities, though housing is probably even less affordable...

Lots of trade- offs to weigh. Personally I would tend to gravitate to an area that is going to maximize but near term needs and longer term trends. With one child already in high school and an elementrry schoolers with special needs those both seem so pressing that I would be driven heavily in a direction toward a school that, despite smaller minority population, does not have as profound and achievement gap. Along with relative long term housing trends that give DuPage Co (lisle and downers grove) a big leg up, especially as you were already looking western suburbs...

You will spend more than North Aurora or Bolingbrook, but you will get what you pay for.

Old 12-11-2010, 05:17 PM

Looking to go no higher than 1300.00 for rent.. Might consider 1500.00 per month.
Thanks for the responses . I Looks like I will be looking into Dupage County. I really like Naperville until a I read a few post that blacks tend to be pulled over alot. (don't want to deal with that everyday)

Old 12-13-2010, 07:54 PM

Default Trust me, with nearly 140,000 ppl and a police force that is relatively tiny...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyd2010 View Post
Looking to go no higher than 1300.00 for rent.. Might consider 1500.00 per month.
Thanks for the responses . I Looks like I will be looking into Dupage County. I really like Naperville until a I read a few post that blacks tend to be pulled over alot. (don't want to deal with that everyday)
...the "pull over" factor is a non- issue.

Finda decent place to rent for $1500 is going to be a sticking point in any nicer area. Are looking for a particular size / configuration?

Old 12-24-2010, 01:17 PM

Red face response

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
...the "pull over" factor is a non- issue.

Finda decent place to rent for $1500 is going to be a sticking point in any nicer area. Are looking for a particular size / configuration?
I'm looking for a 3 bedroom/2 bath

Old 12-24-2010, 01:40 PM

Default Not luxury, but mostly quiet and convenient...

This should be in your budget range:
Twin Lake Towers Apartments, Westmont, IL | Floor Plans

There are probably some landlords with single homes and/ or town homes in your price range in Westmont too. Overall it might be worth looking for both apartments and houses so you have a sense for which will work better for your needs.

Old 12-24-2010, 06:34 PM

320 posts, read 718,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyd2010 View Post
My family and I will be relocating to Chicago. (husband job in downtown area). I have a child in High school and one child with special needs in elementary school. Would like to rent a 2 or 3 bedroom in a middle class area . Where should we consider moving? I know that is a broad question. But here are a few factors:

1. Need excellent school system
2. Safe area ( no where is 100 % safe)
3. Diverse neighborhood
4. Close to Train station (husband commute)
I've read so many reviews I actually have a headache trying to figure out where to look. So far I have Bolingbrook, North Aurora on my list.
I don't know how much money you have but I would look at Homewood or Flossmoor. Flossmoor is the more richer suburb.

1. Homewood-Flossmoor HS has a very good school system.
2. It's very quiet and safe
3. It's' diverse (black and white)
4. The Metra runs right through both suburbs. Takes you right to downtown.
5. Beautiful downtown
6. A good mix of old and new homes

As far as getting to downtown to work, this area might be your best option. North Aurora is too far. Bolingbrook is nice, but its too cookie-cutter and plain for me. Homewood is more like a small town in the suburbs.

Old 12-24-2010, 07:54 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,317,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suburban_boy View Post
I don't know how much money you have but I would look at Homewood or Flossmoor. Flossmoor is the more richer suburb.

1. Homewood-Flossmoor HS has a very good school system.
2. It's very quiet and safe
3. It's' diverse (black and white)
4. The Metra runs right through both suburbs. Takes you right to downtown.
5. Beautiful downtown
6. A good mix of old and new homes

As far as getting to downtown to work, this area might be your best option. North Aurora is too far. Bolingbrook is nice, but its too cookie-cutter and plain for me. Homewood is more like a small town in the suburbs.
But most of Flossmoor look exactly like parts of Bolingbrook...

I do hear you on the cookie cutter feel though. Very common in the newer parts of the town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs