Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 07:33 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,881,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Some of them can be collectors, like the '89 GTA turbo, just depends. The ones with the most mods are actually worth the least money. Good original cars with low miles could be worth something one day, especially as people who grew up in the 80's get older and try to recapture a part of their youth.
Yeah I know. I have an 3rd generation ('81) vette. There are two opposing thoughts on the C3 forum - 1.) People that modify their old vettes, 2.) People that keep them stock as collectors. The people in the #1 are overwhelming in the majority - The NCRS crowd, the ones that keep their vette's on trailers or in the garage, and scour the internet to pay $1,000 for an all original gas cap, we make fun of. Yeah the ones that say "oh my G*d what did you change on your Vette, you changed the radiator, you can't do that". Yeah we make fun of them, they miss the point of owning a Vette (or, name your model).

My numbers matching overweight smog-engine went into the core trade in process years ago, replaced by a small block with performance cam, aluminum heads, flat top forged pistons, and the double pumper. I think the only thing left stock on it is the headlights. Screw the collectors, vette's (and camaro's, etc) are made to be driven, not sit in a garage. Yes I know I destroyed my Vette for the hardcore collector, and that was purely intentional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 08:26 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,584,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Yeah I know. I have an 3rd generation ('81) vette. There are two opposing thoughts on the C3 forum - 1.) People that modify their old vettes, 2.) People that keep them stock as collectors. The people in the #1 are overwhelming in the majority - The NCRS crowd, the ones that keep their vette's on trailers or in the garage, and scour the internet to pay $1,000 for an all original gas cap, we make fun of. Yeah the ones that say "oh my G*d what did you change on your Vette, you changed the radiator, you can't do that". Yeah we make fun of them, they miss the point of owning a Vette (or, name your model).

My numbers matching overweight smog-engine went into the core trade in process years ago, replaced by a small block with performance cam, aluminum heads, flat top forged pistons, and the double pumper. I think the only thing left stock on it is the headlights. Screw the collectors, vette's (and camaro's, etc) are made to be driven, not sit in a garage. Yes I know I destroyed my Vette for the hardcore collector, and that was purely intentional.
But, if everyone shared your thoughts on it there wouldn't be ANY collectors out there of any make or model.

Actually you're doing the collectors a favor, because the fewer true stock cars there are out there, the more they are worth.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:47 AM

1,742 posts, read 6,137,651 times
Restomods can bring better money sometimes. Really unless it was something like a GTA, I'd much rather a 3rd gen with an upgraded drivetrain.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:59 AM

1 posts, read 1,688 times
i have several thirdgens and ive never had a problem with any of them, so whoever has problems with theirs obviously doesnt know what the hell their doing.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:15 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
the 91 had the aero nose which looked pretty good over the squared off version the 91-92 GTA's were pretty rare even more so with the 5.7 under the hood
This is incredibly better looking. The Gen 3s were so ugly that I would not consider one, even though I was always a Camaro nut. I did not see any of the Areo nose ones- appearance wise far superior.

a lot of friends had Gen 3s, mostly V-8 versions. All of them were POS. A constant barrage of things breaking or falling apart. I was very happy that i though that they were hideous (or really more like just super bland and boring looking). It kept me from buying one. Instead I bought some other POS cars from that era and eventually a couple of decent Japanese cars. Although not a fan of *** cars, during that time, the American cars were mostly awful with a few exceptions. The Japanese cars were pretty awful too, but generally a better buy for the money (that was before the Japanese cars became so much more expensive).

I have a Gen 4 now and after driving it for 16 years, I still love it. Funny thing is one of the pricing books (KBB or Edmunds) has it listed at $1600. I would not sell it for $6000

Old 11-16-2011, 09:30 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,647,124 times
I had an '85, I loved it. My next project will be along the lines of this...

Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - Test Drive and Hoon of a 3rd Gen - YouTube

I want a 6-speed, and haven't decided what kind of powerplant, probalby something like lightly worked 5.3.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:15 PM

221 posts, read 597,767 times
I dated a girl with an '86 IROC back in the day. It had fewer than 60K girl-driven miles on it and already felt like it had been around the world a couple times.

It did have a strong engine. The rest was crap.

Old 06-20-2020, 09:43 PM

1 posts, read 301 times
Hello,

Pardon me for hijacking/bringing up an old thread. I love the Pontiac F-body cars and considering to purchase one as a project. I plan to modify and restore it. My goal is to make the car look like a replica of KITT in Knight Rider. When I was young, I loved that car.

Questions...What years between 82 thru 92 should I consider getting for this project?

Also, should I shop around for the lowest priced car since this is a restoration? As far as engines, I'm flexible and willing to go with the one that's more 'practical' in terms of efficiency. Even if it means going with the 305 V-8. I'm not too much into power.

If you guys have other suggestions or recommendations to make this restoration a reality, I'm all ears. That includes getting the parts to make the car look like KITT.

Thanks!
Will

Old 06-20-2020, 10:18 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,513,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weng94 View Post
Hello,

Pardon me for hijacking/bringing up an old thread. I love the Pontiac F-body cars and considering to purchase one as a project. I plan to modify and restore it. My goal is to make the car look like a replica of KITT in Knight Rider. When I was young, I loved that car.

Questions...What years between 82 thru 92 should I consider getting for this project?

Also, should I shop around for the lowest priced car since this is a restoration? As far as engines, I'm flexible and willing to go with the one that's more 'practical' in terms of efficiency. Even if it means going with the 305 V-8. I'm not too much into power.

If you guys have other suggestions or recommendations to make this restoration a reality, I'm all ears. That includes getting the parts to make the car look like KITT.

Thanks!
Will
I had a 89 Camaro RS with a 5.0 TBI. A friend had a Z28 with a TPI 350 and fir its day it was fast. Mine not so much. Great cruiser though.

The F body is the same from Pontiac to chevy as far as the body. The . The dash is different between the two. Pontiac was more futuristic looking. You’ll need the T-Top model.

As far as the rear tail lights they just used a piece of plexiglass to get that smooth look. The early TA have that long red tail lights. Some later models have yellow turn signals

Since you’re doing a KITT tribute I would go with a 1984 to I think 87/88 model as those had the power bulge in the hood which later was deleted. I believe those were carbureted until 86/87 when they went TBI/TPI fuel injection, That power bulge was actually a air intake to the top of the air cleaner. Once they went to the TPI injection the bulge hood was no longer needed.that was when the GTA look took off and was popular.

If you’re doing a original tribute I would look for a trans am with a 350 TPI (do a 383 rebuild and get the 700R4 rebuilt with a Sonnax or Corvette serbo and shift kit. Do 3.73 rear with a Auburn LS, and get the hood with the power bulge. Unless you want a exact functioning replica. You may not be into power but truthfully the 5.0 is a big D O G. Especially in those early smog years with a carburetor. They also had a weaker 200R4 auto transmission in the early days.

The wheels are gonna be EXPENSIVE. They are very rare. I saw a TA for sale a few months back with that style for $3500. Once in a while a KITT replica comes up for sale. You’re better off getting that or one that’s done because trying to do one from scratch is gonna cost tens of thousands.

There are a few KITT clubs.

The most rare TA was the 3.8 turbo v6 models. They were using the same engine as the Buick Grand a National.

Last edited by Electrician4you; 06-20-2020 at 10:35 PM..

Old 06-21-2020, 09:36 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,514,862 times
The Camaros and Firebirds of that era just had such small interiors--especially in the rear seating. Mustangs were more "comfortable" for passengers--if you consider them comfortable.

The nicest thing I can say about Camaros and Firebirds was that the 350 GM engine with the Corvette style port fuel injection was really a hoss. It got great fuel mileage for the horsepower, and it was an extremely long lasting engine if properly maintained.

But all the automobiles of that era were really junky on the quality of engineering and the bodies were just not good. Now the 1969 model SS396 was a much better vehicle. For years and years, their frames and front "clips" were used in stock car racing on all brands of vehicles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC