Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 11:44 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times

Advertisements

I found a local 1982 Nissan Maxima sedan with the optional diesel engine. I know that typically, diesel engines are highly rated in the reliability department from imported makes, but dont remember much about the early Nissan diesels. I am thinking they were pretty good engines. This is a nice car, NO rust, fair interior, runs great the owner says... I was thinking of getting it as a work car since its stated to get 33 mpg in town and 39 mpg on the highway. They are asking $900.
http://images.craigslist.org/3n33mf3pc5T55Q05R6a76bcdcbf4537661eff.jpg (broken link)
http://images.craigslist.org/3n73o53pd5V65Y35T1a7608aaa67c29f814dd.jpg (broken link)

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 11:52 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,903,387 times
If I had $900 to throw away and a place to put it, I'd go down there and buy that right out from under you. It's one of my fav cars of all time. They were good, not quite as good as a Toyota Cressida, but still good. The one in question is a good looking car. They didn't seem to age well (rust) and there's hardly any left, at least where I'm at.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:03 AM

Thanks. Yeah, I used to have an 81 Toyota Cressida and as far as interior quality/fit-finish the Cressida I remember vividly that it was a little better than a 1981 Nissan Maxima (gas 6-cylinder) that my uncle had at the time (late 1990s). The Cressida had alot of padded interior panels, all perfectly aligned and it was 100% rattle free and solid. The only issue with the Cressida 2.8L I6 were the headgasket woes, but mine had 175K before it went, so that was pretty good. It was also a rust free car. Gave it to grandpa, then he sold it for like $200. That was a great car, wish I still had it. That was when Toyota made good cars. I owned it in the late 90s... not sure whatever happened to it.

Yeah, I am kinda short on the cash to buy the Maxima since I recently purchased my Town Car, but I have close to it and if I can sell my Buick I would definitely have the $ to get it. I am sure it may sell pretty fast though if I dont move quickly if the engines in these are the typically good diesel engines.

Yeah, this Maxima is rust free... thankfully a local southern car, where rust is not much of an issue. Had it been up north, probably would have been rusted away. lol. Hopefully though I can work something out. Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
If I had $900 to throw away and a place to put it, I'd go down there and buy that right out from under you. It's one of my fav cars of all time. They were good, not quite as good as a Toyota Cressida, but still good. The one in question is a good looking car. They didn't seem to age well (rust) and there's hardly any left, at least where I'm at.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:14 AM

1,900 posts, read 5,903,387 times
I wonder if it's the same Nissan diesel that was used in the International Scout 2s towards the end. I think they were used in something else too, but I can't remember off the top of my head.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
I wonder if it's the same Nissan diesel that was used in the International Scout 2s towards the end. I think they were used in something else too, but I can't remember off the top of my head.
Not sure either. I did a search and seems like the diesels these have is the 2.8L inline 6-cylinder and was only in these from 1981-83. I am not sure if this car posted is an automatic or 5-speed... wikipedia said they could be ordered with either... I asked the seller, but no reply yet. I prefer automatic because of a bum left knee. Would be interesting if this was one of the "talking" Maximas, which was the first car sold in the USA that had this feature - it was an option and probably rare. The gas engines in these were also an inline 6, but was a 2.4L.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:47 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,979,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Would be interesting if this was one of the "talking" Maximas, which was the first car sold in the USA that had this feature - it was an option and probably rare.
Rarer still would be if it worked. FWIW, the voices are on a miniature record.

1982 Datsun Voice Warning Box Used Tiny Phonograph Record, Just Like Moon Base Robots

Old 07-07-2010, 06:13 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
They were very reliable but slower than a snail.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
Rarer still would be if it worked. FWIW, the voices are on a miniature record.

1982 Datsun Voice Warning Box Used Tiny Phonograph Record, Just Like Moon Base Robots
Thats cool! Thanks for the link! I emailed him and he said it had the option and it still worked! (for now), LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Probably as slow as my old 84 Mercedes 190D was... it had like 72 HP! It would go good though once up to speed... it would go along with the best of them.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:58 PM

1 posts, read 17,058 times
I have a 1982 Nissan Maxima with the L28 diesel engine which I purchased new. It spent several years in storage and has always been kept garaged. Transmission is automatic and it not only has the talking system, but still works as well as everything else, even the A/C. It still drives great, looks, and runs great. Anybody interested? [email]cf1935@yahoo.com[/email]

Old 08-22-2013, 03:55 PM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
100% right......if you wanted old/slow and reliable I would buy a MB 300D

just noticed 3 yr old post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti