Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 09:46 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,729,420 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Warren, MI, a few blocks from the GM Tech Center. Had a lot of friends whose fathers worked there. I remember more than one of them telling me that the Monte Carlo was originally designed for the Cadillac division, but in the end they passed on it, did some reworking and came up with the Seville design instead. Chevy division jumped at the chance to take a Caddy for their line up.

At least that was the way it was related to me.

In our senior year('77) My best bud's parents bought him a new Monte for a graduation present. I got a new Malibu Classic. There wasnt an ounce of difference in those cars, save for the sheet metal.....Mine had a 305 that developed that annoying lifter tick after a few months......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 12:10 AM

1,628 posts, read 4,040,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
the monte was downsized in the fall of 77 for the 78 model year; the big chevs and other full sized GM's were downsized for the 77 model year; the nova became the radically changed Citation in mid 79
The Nova did not BECOME the Citation, it was replaced by it. Radically different cars in terms of drivetrain and platform.

<sorry about the hijack of thread, but I hate such misinformation.>

Old 07-01-2009, 12:21 AM

1,628 posts, read 4,040,361 times
OP, Good luck with your project! Takes me back to my first car (read: project).

You are lucky in these times to have so many internet resources available. Have fun!

Old 07-01-2009, 01:24 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,780,703 times
Thought I'd share my Monte Carlo experience.....never owned one but...

In high school....1995 or so....I knew of a guy that had a really nice 76 model...it was dark metallic red with a white vinyl top and the 5 hole rally rims....on the inside it had white vinyl bench seats and dark red carpet, dark red dash and I think the door panels were white. it was a pretty nice looking car.

Then a kid down the street from me in my h.s. also had a 76 Monte...his was beige inside and out, and it had rust, holes in the floor boards, a racing carb without a choke....he bought it cheap and ran it into the ground...a few of my friends spotted it in the junkyard later on.

Then a girl one grade lower than me had a nice cream colored 72 Monte with cragar mags. After h.s. she said she was rear ended so it totaled the car. She ended up buying a 71 as a replacement and bagging it.

And then a friend of mine who's dad once had a 75 and a 76 Monte years ago had a 76 Malibu classic....metallic green apple paint with white and green interior like my friend's red Monte. Of course it too was a rust bucket, no floor pans, no exhaust, shorted lights....there's some memories in that car.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:06 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,686,080 times
Default i think the

Malibu Classic had the Monte speedo and swivel seats, or at least what i remember from the 1973 ads

now that we're talking Chevy's, does anyone remember that game show i used to watch in 1973 where the winner had a choice of Chevy's to pick from, and the winner started the car of theirchoice. if the car started they won it.

does anyone remember the name of the show?

Old 07-01-2009, 05:53 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,493,295 times
When I was a teenager, we had a '77 Monte Carlo that was absolutely beat. It was silver on silver with an all red interior. The only thing that was nice on that car was the headliner. Everthing else was rusted, broken, faded, or cracked. It had the 305, and it had about 125K miles on it.

It was reliable though. The only time it wouldn't start for me in the morning, (mom hated cold, so I was the official car starter in fall winter and spring) was when we had a cold snap and the temperature was around -20F. School was cancelled that day because of the cold, so I tried to start the car later that afternoon. The temp had risen to about -10F, and I got the car started.

Old 07-01-2009, 03:32 PM

Default after the 74 or 75 model year

I found the Monte Carlo to be too overstyled like the big Fords and GM cars, they all lost the subtelty they had in 73

Old 07-02-2009, 12:21 AM

3,223 posts, read 10,100,683 times
I thought the Dodge Monaco's, Plymouth Fury's (midsized) and the Chrysler Cordoba's of the late 1970s front end stylings looked way too similar to the front ends of the 1976-77 Monte Carlo's

Old 07-02-2009, 05:16 AM

Default definitely

chrysler started to lose it's distinctiveness when they restyled the big mopars for 1974.

for 75 they slapped the fury name on the satellite. silly, no one was fooled. a satellite custom became a fury salon. by 78, the last year for that body since it first came out in 71, what was originally a slender, attractive satellite became a fat pretentious fury salon. i did like the cordoba however for 75 and 76.

for 77 they put the monaco name on the coronet. same thing

and then in 79 remember those forgettable dodge st regis' and new ports??

and forget about it in 81 with those K cars the reliant and aries. snooze city!!

Old 08-07-2009, 04:20 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,866,725 times
Just thought I'd revive this thread. I was walking back to my office during lunch, and I went by one of the parking garages when I saw this classic beauty, a 1971 or 1972 Monte Carlo, looks like it just rolled out of the factory, and it even has the original wheels. I'm also thankful my cell phone has a camera in it.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC