Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 09:44 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,313,098 times

Advertisements

if you go for a big block go with a 12 bolt GM or a ford 9inch to take the abuse the motor will put to the rear
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 11:50 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,777,350 times
If you ask me yes i didn't think the 78-80 Montes looked all that great (they were ok) but I always thought the 81-86 models looked good, then in 87-88 they had the euronose that sort of made them fugly again IMO.

But the 95 and up Monte Carlos were really just a desecration of the Monte Carlo name. They were nothing more than a 2 door Chevy Lumina.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:39 AM

3,223 posts, read 10,098,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
If you ask me yes i didn't think the 78-80 Montes looked all that great (they were ok) but I always thought the 81-86 models looked good, then in 87-88 they had the euronose that sort of made them fugly again IMO.

But the 95 and up Monte Carlos were really just a desecration of the Monte Carlo name. They were nothing more than a 2 door Chevy Lumina.
I thought the 1981-86 Monte Carlo's were much better looking (but still far from great) than the 1978-80 Monte Carlo's, I didn't like the euronoses on the 1987-88 Monte Carlo's at all either, I totally agree with you that the 1995-up models were nothing more than a 2 door Lumina

Old 05-22-2009, 01:43 PM

7 posts, read 62,936 times
I looked at the underside the other day and it's got 13 bolts and the indented corner so its most likely the TH350 as you explained, I asked my dad the difference between the powerglide and the one it has & he said powerglide was just junk lol as it was a low grade 2 speed auto-trans.

There is guy at the gas station who used to work for GM when they were making the Monte's so it would seem that he knows his stuff, been helping me lately with some of the finer bits that I can't quite grasp yet like the timing chain etc etc

Old 05-25-2009, 03:16 PM

If your dad thinks Powerglides are junk, you should enlighten him that they often run those transmissions at the drag strip. So there's proof that those transmissions ARE NOT junk....because you can't afford to run junk at the strip.

I found a website to better help you decode your tranny:
Automatic Transmission Identification

Scroll down to where it says "Transmission Identification by pan" and it will show all the Chevy trans pans....your car I would guess has either the 3rd or 4th pan. Both #3 and #4 have 13 bolts, but it sounds like you might have pan #3.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:36 PM

so in the morning I'm going to Harbor Freight Tools to get an air compressor and a sand blast gun + possibly a paint gun, gonna blast off the corroded surface rust on the underside and put on a coat of under body paint, not sure what it's really called but meant to stop rust, of course we will do this after we remove the fuel line completely as we had to cut it in the middle b/c we can't pull it out as a solid line.

also gonna use the sand blaster to remove the paint on the body and work on the rust spots around the vinyl top after we remove that as well. but anyways it should all be done by or near fall.

this is what it looks like when we got it from the auction, as you may notice the front end seems like it most likely isn't original? possibly from a collision at some point or the process of aging & rust.

Last edited by JAC_BNc_122ndFA; 05-29-2009 at 10:47 PM..

Old 05-30-2009, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAC_BNc_122ndFA View Post
so in the morning I'm going to Harbor Freight Tools to get an air compressor and a sand blast gun + possibly a paint gun, gonna blast off the corroded surface rust on the underside and put on a coat of under body paint, not sure what it's really called but meant to stop rust, of course we will do this after we remove the fuel line completely as we had to cut it in the middle b/c we can't pull it out as a solid line.
Sounds like the stuff you're talking about is POR-15 which is a black paint type material that's designed to be painted over rust and stop it. I've heard it's good stuff but I've never used it myself.

How comes you were not able to remove the fuel line as one piece? How will you get the new one in?

Not sure if your car's been in a fender bender or not...I do notice the blue hood and the "not red" fenders, but it looks as if your header panel is the factory red...do the gaps between the fenders and the door line up evenly and nicely?

Let's pray you don't find "brown swiss cheese" when you go to pull up that vinyl roof. Those 70's vinyl top cars were NOTORIOUS for rusting under the vinyl top....to the point of where there were big holes in the metal.

One good thing is your dash looks intact and has not been altered, all the way down to the stock AM radio. Dig the CB radio though...just get ya a good Wilson 1000 antenna for that and you're set. 10-4.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:08 PM

The reason we cut in half is that the fuel line looks like it was the original factory one in which they most likely put the fuel line on before they added the panels and upper body.

the fuel line going up to the engine went inside part of the frame where the front wheels are mounted and comes out a similar hole on the other side then bends into a 180 degree curved rotation back into the fuel pump so we cut it at the fuel pump to pull it out with out hassle through holes no bigger than 2 finger widths.

but the aft section of the fuel line was much easier to remove as it only went along the bottom of the frame near the rocker panel, I will take some pictures of the under side to show you what I mean tomorrow & Ill point out the holes in the frame for the front fuel line.

my dad bought a flaring tool and some semi-flexible fuel/brake line and got some fittings to connect the line in the middle.

Old 06-28-2009, 12:14 PM

Well I'm in Owosso now, moved 127 miles from my home and my car haha so I got 10 weeks of this college/dorm life before summer vacation starts then back to working on my car.

It should get done by October I think, I'm planning to take a roadtrip with some Army friends around the US when it's done hehe.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:09 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,679,941 times
Default i absolutely loved

the styling of the red 73 Monte Carlo showed in one of the posts. Something about it, catches my eye like the Mopars of the same year. Of course, I would still take a 73 black Monaco brougham coupe or even a Charger SE over the Monte Carlo but the Monte Carlo is a close second

I loved the Charger SE, would love a flesh colored 73 or 74 Charger SE with a white vinyl roof
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC