Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 03:59 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,458,900 times

Advertisements

Burn it and get a decent vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 04:08 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,307,202 times
My vote is replacing the motor whether you decide to keep the vehicle or sell it. It's easier to sell or trade in a running vehicle than one with a blown engine and you get more out of it. So I would go with the used motor if I was selling/trading and go with a new/rebuilt motor if I was keeping it my self. Just keep in mind, the rest of the vehicle has 200k on the clock as well like the radiator and transmission etc. So I would keep an eye out on a deal for a new/rebuilt gear box if you plan on keeping it.

Old 10-15-2013, 04:20 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,822,909 times
Is the" family member" going to give you the car for free?

Old 10-15-2013, 05:51 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,836,389 times
I just looked up the average resale for that year, and it's around thirteen thousand. So, for twenty five hundred, you've got a thirteen thousand Dollar truck thingie. Do nothing, and it's worth a few hundred.

If keeping the vehicle was the plan, then fixing is definitely not throwing money away.

Old 10-15-2013, 05:56 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,732,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orrecc View Post
200k is pretty high on mileage,
........for a Cadilac SUV. Not for a Honda Civic, Accord, Toyota Tacoma or other vehicle that wasn't built like garbage in the first place. Owner should just send it to the bone yard at this point unless they just dont have the dough to buy another car.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:17 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,203,050 times
I vote fix it. Unless your relative can find a better vehicle for less money than it would cost to repower the Escalade, smart money is on fixing it. Even at $5K, it would be hard to replace it with anything comparable, and a $5K vehicle isn't a sure thing reliabliity wise.

We recently bought a 2003 Suburban for $5K, with 210K miles on it. Runs great, motor is strong, transmission is good, interior is in good shape, you'd really never know it had that kind of miles on it. To buy a comparable 'Burb would be $65K (yeah, we shopped them). I can repower the beast many times for $65K.

But hey, if you don't want to fix it, and you're in the NOMI area, give me a shout. I'll buy it cheap, drop in a motor and I'll drive it for a few years, might even drop a lift kit on it and take it muddin' The bride did kinda want an Escalade.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:45 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,534,148 times
I am another one who votes to fix it. I looked up some examples with about 100-150k miles on them, and the asking prices were from a low of around $8k to $14k, with many in the $11k range. The estimates seem reasonable, as I would expect that you would get a few more years out of the truck. If the $5k option has a good warranty, I might consider that more than the $2500 option, but even if the $2500 option lasts another two years, you've gotten your money out of it.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-15-2013, 09:27 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,097,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
No. Engine delivered. 30 day warranty part only (no labor.)

So 2500.00 is for the used engine installed? Not bad, IMO. I don't know what the job pays as far as number of labor hours x hourly rate but I could find out if anyone wants to know.

The car is paid for. 200K miles for a gasoline engine is good, you got what you paid for. Fix it and you're good for another eight years, at least. Your insurance doesn't go up and you remain debt free.
Gotcha.

Rule of thumb is, plan to spend $1000 - $1200 labor for an engine swap - unless the guy is doing you a favor. With some vehicles it's higher. This would actually be one of those. Pulling the engine out of this vehicle is one heckuva lot more work than on a Ford Focus.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:07 PM

22,145 posts, read 33,852,513 times
I have a work truck with 196k on it. I just threw a motor in it two years ago for 1k installed and last year I rebuilt the trans for 1750. Went to rockauto ordered all new ball joints bushings and steering components. Truck runs well. To buy a new truck now would run me about 40k. 200k isn't much anymore. If the interior is good and not torn up I would. Fix it.
Fix it and drive it. I don't know what motor you are buying for 5k. What are you welding? You can get complete rebuilds and reinstall for less than 5 k. The mist I paid for a rebuild was 3200 and that was with boring out new pistons machine work etc.
My personal truck has 150k and still looks like new. I just keep up on the maintenance, wash and clean them and when something breaks I get it fixed.

Old 10-16-2013, 05:33 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,967,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orrecc View Post
200k is pretty high on mileage,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottay View Post
........for a Cadilac SUV. Not for a Honda Civic, Accord, Toyota Tacoma or other vehicle that wasn't built like garbage in the first place. Owner should just send it to the bone yard at this point unless they just dont have the dough to buy another car.

Huh what? An Escalade is a rebadged Suburban. Are you saying you've never seen Burbs with >200K? I've seen plenty. Plenty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC