Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 12:57 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,060,716 times

Advertisements

Anyone seen the recent Chevy Silverado "Quiet Cab" commercial?

At the end the actor says: "Chevy Silverado: second to none..."

...pause...

"...and by none, I mean Ford and Toyota."

Uh, so Chevy Silverado is second to Ford and Toyota?

How can you spend millions on a car commercial, and not bother reading [for comprehension] through the script your room full of monkeys just banged out on their typewriters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 01:22 AM

129 posts, read 515,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post

...pause...

How can you spend millions on a car commercial, and not bother reading [for comprehension] through the script your room full of monkeys just banged out on their typewriters?
Ha! Strange to see that in written word, thought there was some awkward/uncomfortable scripting and timing there. I am a huge GM truck fan, but the best ads for Chevy trucks ran 20 years ago with that Bob Seger song in the background, almost brings a tear to my eye, almost. GM got it right with those ads, they didn't say anything! After all the best ads speak to your heart, not direct sounds at your ears.

Old 10-14-2013, 05:34 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
All of those "macho" truck commercials are getting so stupid. They're all the same.... patriotic music, boots and a cowboy hat, and some mud. Only thing missing is a can of Skoal.

Old 10-14-2013, 05:49 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
All of those "macho" truck commercials are getting so stupid. They're all the same.... patriotic music, boots and a cowboy hat, and some mud. Only thing missing is a can of Skoal.
And a couple of big dogs in the bed.

Don

Old 10-14-2013, 06:01 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
And a couple of big dogs in the bed.

Don
Remember this truck commercial?

1998 Nissan Frontier Dogs Love Trucks Commercial - YouTube

Old 10-14-2013, 06:02 AM

11,337 posts, read 16,691,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post

...pause...

Second to none means that they're number one.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:10 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
A thread about stupid automotive commercials will hit the thousand-post mark by the end of the week

To me, it is a tie between Bob Segar and Will Hoge for the most insultingly obnoxious song ever used in a truck commercial. I didn't even know it was Segar, for a long time I thought it was Michael Bolton.

"And by second to nobody, I mean Ram and Ford"
is the correct script in the ad. It is standard idiomatic usage in American English, and if you think it murders the language, try to figure out the words to the Will Hoge song. You could never guess how inane the words are, from the way he slaughters diction with his fake country accent, so here's what it's supposed to be:

He's a 20-year straight get to work on time
He's loved one woman for all his life
Everybody knows he aint just tough
Hes strong.

I usually see the ads in baseball telecasts, so it took me a while to figure out that it is not "Everybody knows the Angels suck".

Last edited by jtur88; 10-14-2013 at 07:24 AM..

Old 10-14-2013, 08:21 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,988,669 times
I always likes the Joe Isuzu ad's "Ask him if it has a five speed like Isuzu". Also the You Tube ad for I think the 90 or 91 F series that shows the real ad and then the outtake. Love the outtake.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:42 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,533,072 times
Buy a truck!!! Be a man!!!! Are you a *****???? No!!?? Then buy a truck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-truck commercials

Old 10-14-2013, 08:51 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,966,853 times
it actually says "and by none, I mean Ford and Ram." I get it. They're just labeling Ford and Ram as "none" and saying they arent second to them, they're first. I guess if you think it about it too much, it can be confusing, but not really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC