Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 09:36 PM

1,297 posts, read 4,772,572 times

Advertisements

I rented a 09 Silverado today and drove 100 miles thru some hills in southern KY. This was a 2WD mid model not sure, but not premium.

Very dissappointed in the rough ride, uncomfortable seats, and engine downshifting continuously on hills when on cruise control.

The inside of doors where window controls and handle is sticks out several inchs and intrudes on sitting space for big people. I was unable to reach the door opening handle from inside and had to roll window down and open door from outside. Real nice...

Wife is short and had to build seat up with pillows to see out front cause seat tips up in front. Passenger seat does not do this.

I have never driven a Chevy Silverado and was considering one but that is out of the question now.

Does anyone else have these problems or are they just my problems?

I have owned mostly Ford F150's and a couple Dodge Rams and neither had any of these problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 10:18 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,909,608 times
All the trucks are going to those high gear transmission to achieve better milage. That is why most want the tow package rearend that use to be 3.42;which doesn;t do this. I personally like the Silverado better than the F-150 which I recently had and would even consider a Ram persoanally.To get the same in the F-150 you had to go to like 3.70 something.That makes the mileage go downhill badly and the siverdo much better that I have seen.3.42 seems like a good compromise. I think the old standard was 3.08 which does the shifting as stated over slight hills and overpasses.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:24 AM

886 posts, read 5,718,476 times
I have an 09 and have none of those problems. Then again mine is loaded with leather and power seats that I can adjust to where ever I want.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:17 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,111,109 times
The rental is going to be the cheapest bottom of the barrel model you can get. What did you expect?

Old 05-07-2009, 11:49 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,272,713 times
My dad has a 2007 Silverado Extended Cab/Short Bed 4X4.

Previously he had a 2001 Ex Cab reg bed 4x4.

I've got a 2002 Suburban 4X4.

OK The '01 Truck and '02 'burban ride and handle very similarly (interior is the same). And personally I am/was VERY comfortable in both vehicles. Everything on the inside seems to be pretty well thought out.

So then he buys this newer truck last year....it just feels soooo stiff. It may do off-road duty better but to make trips in it? I just feel like I've been beat up.

But it seems like this is the direction they're taking their trucks....

Old 05-07-2009, 12:18 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,865,756 times
I like the Silverado the best. It has the nicest interior finish and the most interior practical passenger space. The F-150 is a bit smaller inside and not quite as nice, but cheaper. I had an F-150 that got annoying because I was constatnly replacing coil packs. I do not know whether that is still a problem and whether otehr brands have that problem, but it drove me nuts. I would not be interested in a Dodge unless it was almost free. Had some Dodge trucks/vans, nothing but problems. There is a reason that Dodge trucks are so much cheaper than Ford and Chevy. Every truck person that I tlak to tells me to stay away from dodge. I also tried the Ridgeline and the Tundra but I liked the F150 and Silverado better than either one. If you want a smooth ride and comfortable seats look at an Avalanche or an Escalade (especially Escalade). Lincoln also makes a luxury truck, but I have never been in one so I am not sure what they are like.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
The rental is going to be the cheapest bottom of the barrel model you can get. What did you expect?
That makes sense. They mostly rent trucks for work not over the road travel. I rent them cause they are easy for me to get in and out of cause of my bad hip.

But the door handle being so low is a real pain. Changing the rear end to different ratio like said earlier solves downshifting problem.

My 06 Ford F150 Lariet seats were just as uncomfortable as the ones in this 09 Chevy.

I wish I could afford the Escalade or Navigator, I have tested both and they were comfortable.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:20 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,693,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I like the Silverado the best.
On the level of personal taste, I don't like the looks of the new Silverado. At all. And I really don't like the looks of the new F-150. It looks like an over-chromed Matchbox toy. So that leaves the Dodge Ram, which I do like.

On the other hand, I'm not going to be buying any brand of new truck, so it really doesn't matter what I do and don't like!

Old 05-07-2009, 04:01 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,227,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg Mann View Post
The inside of doors where window controls and handle is sticks out several inchs and intrudes on sitting space for big people. I was unable to reach the door opening handle from inside and had to roll window down and open door from outside. Real nice...

Wife is short and had to build seat up with pillows to see out front cause seat tips up in front. Passenger seat does not do this.
Well I'm 6'6 and I've never had any problem in the new model Chevrolets, and neither has my wife at 5'4. If you couldn't reach the door handle from the inside, it's time to consider a diet.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
Well I'm 6'6 and I've never had any problem in the new model Chevrolets, and neither has my wife at 5'4. If you couldn't reach the door handle from the inside, it's time to consider a diet.
As usual you are ASSuming my weight is the problem. I have a disability and unable to bend in my back and waist area due to extreme pain and stiffness. I am 6'4" and wife is 4'11".

My Ford F150's and Dodge 4x4 did not have these bad features. This is first truck that I can't open door on inside and I have owned over 40 all makes and styles.

Still a bad design and glad you like yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive