Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 01:45 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,171,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
All of those "macho" truck commercials are getting so stupid. They're all the same.... patriotic music, boots and a cowboy hat, and some mud. Only thing missing is a can of Skoal.
This literally made me laugh out loud. I haven't had cable TV for years, but on a recent vacation trip I turned on the TV a couple times in my hotel room and you nailed it. The pickup truck commercials are the worst. Unless someone needs a huge, over-powered, gas-guzzler like that for work - and some people truly do - nothing impresses me less than a man trying to make a statement about how cool he is because of the size of his truck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 01:49 PM

45,354 posts, read 60,534,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Second to none means that they're number one.
Yeah, that's usually what that means in English. I don't see the issue and understood what was being said. My question is where does Dodge (trading as POS) fall on the noise scale?

Old 10-14-2013, 02:01 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
[font=Verdana] Confusing commercials work,
. . . because there is no antidote. The alternative view has no chance of being aired.

Virtually everything you "know" comes from Media, which is a closed system that releases only carefully designed content, form and tone that is formulated to expedite the flow of wealth from the workers to the owners. No contrasting ideas can penetrate the Media to reach your eyes or ears -- you belong to Media.

Old 10-14-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
. . . because there is no antidote. The alternative view has no chance of being aired.

Virtually everything you "know" comes from Media, which is a closed system that releases only carefully designed content, form and tone that is formulated to expedite the flow of wealth from the workers to the owners. No contrasting ideas can penetrate the Media to reach your eyes or ears -- you belong to Media.
Just to bring everyone back around here, commercials are supposed to make you want to buy a product.

And jtur, when has what you posted ever been different? Why do you think 1800's newspapers had names like The Jeffersonian Democrat or The Kane Republican?

Old 10-14-2013, 05:48 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Just to bring everyone back around here, commercials are supposed to make you want to buy a product.

And jtur, when has what you posted ever been different? Why do you think 1800's newspapers had names like The Jeffersonian Democrat or The Kane Republican?
To identify their editorial slant. What did that have to do with buying a product?

Old 10-14-2013, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
To identify their editorial slant. What did that have to do with buying a product?
Editorial slant is a minimization of what they meant.

No more than your contribution about "belonging to the Media".

Old 10-14-2013, 06:39 PM

21,863 posts, read 25,121,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Anyone seen the recent Chevy Silverado "Quiet Cab" commercial?

At the end the actor says: "Chevy Silverado: second to none..."

...pause...

"...and by none, I mean Ford and Toyota."

Uh, so Chevy Silverado is second to Ford and Toyota?

How can you spend millions on a car commercial, and not bother reading [for comprehension] through the script your room full of monkeys just banged out on their typewriters?
Hahaha

I just saw that except it's RAM and Ford. That's one of those Proud To Be American moments. Smugly superior, sanctimonious, and completely retarded all at once. Good Job, Chevy.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:44 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,857,574 times

TV Commercial - Chevrolet - 2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 All Star Edition - Quiet Cab - YouTube

Old 10-14-2013, 06:46 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,655,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I forgot about this one... thanks for posting.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:56 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,582,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
second to none - Idioms - by the Free Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

It's pretty simple. Not sure why people think it's wrong. The saying is not meant to be taken literally where "none" is a proper noun.

It'd be the same as saying we're better than everyone else, and when we say everyone else, we mean Ford and Chevy.
People think it's wrong because it is.

It's not the same because they mistakenly said they are second to Ford and RAM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC