Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 02:47 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,790,506 times

Advertisements

Something I simply don't get is from what I can find, we are probably not going to get the Chevy Cruze diesel wagon which is sold in other countries. We will get the diesel itself, but it will be only for the current four door model sold now. To me, a small diesel wagon is something a whole ton of us want. The only thing close to that is the VW Jetta TDI wagon, which has infamously bad reliability problems. Yet they sell a LOT of them and clearly seeing as how I see a lot of Jetta TDI wagons on my way to work indicates that a chevy cruze wagon would sell rather well. If GM were to announce a wagon variant, it would stand a really great chance of being my next car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 02:54 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,228,958 times
Thank all the ignorant, far-leftist, "green" folk and scumbag politicians.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:55 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,259,380 times
Because diesel is the worst thing on the planet, for every gallon of diesel that gets produced a baby seal dies...

Ignorance, sure ignorance is the answer.

Last edited by Me007gold; 04-15-2013 at 03:10 PM..

Old 04-15-2013, 03:02 PM

Its not because of liberals. Like as mentioned, we are in fact getting the cruze diesel in normal 4 door car form but not the wagon version- same car.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:26 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,023,943 times
We're not getting it because Chevy doesn't believe they can sell enough cruze wagons here in the states. It's the same for about every other Wagon. The US isn't a huge buying market with Wagons or Hatchbacks, Europe likes them, Europe buys them. If the US was buying them in mass quantities, they'd be here.

It's not like companies haven't attempted to build wagons, but there's always been some limited success with it. The Magnum was popular initially, but in the end it failed. I thought the CTS V was going to offer a wagon version too, but I've never seen one here, and the new CTS has already been spied so I'd wonder if we'll see it or not.

The Jetta Wagon isn't a volume mover either, but it's moderately popular here, especially in TDI form. The car costs a bit more than the regular jetta, and it's easy to get the car into the upper 20's, say $28k with a few options, which is thousands more than the regular jetta, and more than $10k more than a current base jetta...The golf is the car the wagon is actually based on, and the Wagon adds thousands of dollars more to even the price of the golf.

I know you equate reliability numbers with every vehicle purchase, but the issue is more complex, especially with the Wagon. For the folks who buy 2.5L equipped Jetta Sportwagens, you'll find that the car is incredibly reliable, the engines are almost bulletproof, and are wicked understressed making a baby-producing 170hp. The car's utility is what makes it popular for those who purchase it. When you look at the TDI optioned Sportwagens it's a combination of economy and utility, and as I'm sure you've noticed, there is NO OTHER CAR on the market that combines those as well as the Volkswagen does.

Get off the reliability soap box and start driving a car that's actually fun to drive!

Old 04-15-2013, 03:36 PM

I cant tell you how many people I personally know who have had horrible experiences with VW, my mother in law as well, who owns a Jetta TDI that is routinely in the shop for whatever repairs. That alone is reason why I'll never buy a VW product. Latest reliability rankings more or less confirms this, as VW is close to the bottom of the list overall. Hence why it would be nice if someone else would offer a Diesel wagon variant.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:41 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,750,317 times
Because GM is a STUPID company! And they should have never gotten rid of Pontiac.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:49 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,941,317 times
Not to rain on any of the arm chair generals here but GM has 2- 4 cylinder diesels in certification right now. One is planned for the Cruze. Figure a late 2014 offering and if I had to venture a guess, January 2014 should be about right. HP numbers should be about 150 with torque around 250 ft lbs. for the 2.0 turbo.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:12 PM

2,778 posts, read 5,169,425 times
I don't get it either, wagons are the best things when compared to sedans lack of space.

Audi A3 TDI wagon is also discontinued for 2014, when for the US market Audi will bring the new A3 but sedan only...
Must be that majority don't want to buy wagons since there are so many SUV's available (unlike Europe where most SUV's are too big, so next logical option is wagons).
Also Canada has the B class Mercedes which I wish was available in USA...

Love the A3 TDI wagon, wish there would be more cars based on diesel engines here, but ignorance is bliss for too many...

Old 04-15-2013, 04:22 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,051,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
Something I simply don't get is from what I can find, we are probably not going to get the Chevy Cruze diesel wagon which is sold in other countries. We will get the diesel itself, but it will be only for the current four door model sold now. To me, a small diesel wagon is something a whole ton of us want. The only thing close to that is the VW Jetta TDI wagon, which has infamously bad reliability problems. Yet they sell a LOT of them and clearly seeing as how I see a lot of Jetta TDI wagons on my way to work indicates that a chevy cruze wagon would sell rather well. If GM were to announce a wagon variant, it would stand a really great chance of being my next car.
After the debacle of GM's diesels in the late 70s & early 80s, it will be a cold day in hell before most Americans would consider buying another diesel car from General Motors. Sometimes using the public as guinea pigs comes back to haunt you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC