Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 06:38 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,598,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
In your tiny little miopic view of the world, VW's are terrible cars. Meanwhile, Volkswagen/Audi group is neck and neck with Toyota for the largest auto mfg in the world... probably because they sell a lot of cars. Cars that consumers aren't afraid to buy/own/live with. GM is in Distant third ~ they don't make any products (currently) that I'd buy because of A) styling and B) quality ~ they're getting better and that may change in the next design iteration or two, but not right now.

Anyway, Mazda is also bringing in a new diesel for their Mazda 3 and *NOT* bring the Mazda 3 wagon at all, in ANY engine configuration. Audi is dropping the A3 wagon in TDI for the 2014 model year.. apparently they aren't a platform that sell well in the US. Takes a certain number to make it profitable enough to justify the EPA testing, and they just don't think they will sell that number. Sucks, but it is what it is... whining doesn't really change anything.

GM is ahead of VW, unless you weren't talking about sales.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 06:39 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,585,584 times
It makes no sense to produce a vehicle in the USA that folks won't buy, although I do see 20+ year-old domestic and foreign-brand station wagons on the road out here in Los Angeles, the SUV market is going very well here and nationwide, thanks to perennial bestsellers such as the Honda CRV and Toyota Rav-4, as well as the Explorer, Pilot, MDX & all the rest.

Old 04-15-2013, 06:42 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,081,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
Why would supposed diesel lovers steer away from diesels from GM? The company has a higher reliability track record than current other diesel cars in the US from other manufactures and the engines we would get have been in the EU for years, hence its got a an established track record.
Well... That's how bad those GM diesel cars were.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm guessing you're fairly young (under 40) and as a result, didn't have much - if any - personal experience with those cars.

Old 04-15-2013, 06:44 PM

2,785 posts, read 5,191,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
Why would supposed diesel lovers steer away from diesels from GM? The company has a higher reliability track record than current other diesel cars in the US from other manufactures and the engines we would get have been in the EU for years, hence its got a an established track record.

ha, ha...that's funny cause it is in reverse...

Old 04-15-2013, 08:15 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,829 posts, read 58,408,191 times
I was in a diesel Cruze this morning (Taxi in China), They are WAY ahead of US in many ways...

ANd they don't have CARB

Old 04-16-2013, 02:59 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,672,448 times
Because of heavy regulation from our government.

Our politicians don't feel it should be easy to bring here, so it isn't.

The best part is you paid a lot in taxes to let it happen.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Old 04-16-2013, 07:07 AM

1,203 posts, read 4,095,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
After the debacle of GM's diesels in the late 70s & early 80s, it will be a cold day in hell before most Americans would consider buying another diesel car from General Motors. Sometimes using the public as guinea pigs comes back to haunt you.
I think with the success of the VW TDIs, people are actually more receptive towards diesel.

We wont get the wagon, because GM makes stupid decisions. I think if more wagons were available and marketed properly, they'd sell just fine. Hatchbacks do well here and something marketed as a sport wagon or "upgrade" from a hatch could potentially do well.

But American companies still think Americans won't buy wagons, so they don't sell them. It's a never-ending cycle.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:32 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,081,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raveabouttoast View Post
I think with the success of the VW TDIs, people are actually more receptive towards diesel.

We wont get the wagon, because GM makes stupid decisions. I think if more wagons were available and marketed properly, they'd sell just fine. Hatchbacks do well here and something marketed as a sport wagon or "upgrade" from a hatch could potentially do well.

But American companies still think Americans won't buy wagons, so they don't sell them. It's a never-ending cycle.
Agreed, agreed, and agreed.

Back in the day, I drove a Rabbit diesel. 48 mpg, and you couldn't kill the stupid thing. As close as I could determine, through Carfax, the thing had about 450,000 miles on it.

On the other hand, I owned a whole host of full-size GM diesels from the late 70s & early 80s. Bought them non-running, swapped out the crappy diesels with 307s, and resold them. Great money maker.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:50 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,263,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Because GM is a STUPID company! And they should have never gotten rid of Pontiac.
Pontiac should have been killed ten years earlier. GM would not have lost quite as much money.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:08 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,255,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I was in a diesel Cruze this morning (Taxi in China), They are WAY ahead of US in many ways...

ANd they don't have CARB
And how many car lengths ahead of you was it until your view was completely hindered by smog? China's industrial revolution is vastly supported by their, near complete, lack of emission control. Hardly a trait that makes them an "advanced" society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC