Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 08:47 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,069,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Why doesn't USA get diesel anything?

Modern CRDi diesel vehicles are far superior to normal gasoline vehicles..
We do...my CR Diesel in my Jetta is great. Yielded 51 mpg on the way to work this morning, and 52 mpg on the way back home. Compared to my gas Jetta that has consistently returned 26 mpg, I'm looking at a 61% improvement with my constant 42 mpg average using my diesel. Compare that with what has been a 10% premium i'm paying in Missouri ($3.79 Diesel vs 3.49 Regular) it's a pretty good savings still. Especially when I consider most of the vehicles I was interested in were going to be burning premium, which still rates higher than diesel, and i'm in good shape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
Yes. according to "his" post. That said, almost every single long-term reliability surveys out there very clearly shows VW as a brand far below pretty much all of GM's brands and wayyyyy below Toyota and Honda. This shouldn't come as a surprise as VW has been near the bottom of that list for decades.

As I mentioned before, to me its easy to see that VW has rather high initial quality. But most are more concerned about "long term" reliability, as in what happens to the car 5 years from now, and if the current surveys are any sort of indicator, VW's do not have a very good track record in that regard.

http://www.clarksvilleonline.com/201...rn-top-honors/

According to this CR sheet, VW is nothing fantastic...but neither is GM. Buick tested worse than VW, and had worse reliability, Chevrolet tested worse than VW and had slightly better reliability, Cadillac tested worse than VW but had even better reliability.

VW's luxury brand Audi tested better than VW (and everything from GM) and had better reliability than them as well. Either way, I'm more than unwilling to say that even CR's study shows GM is leaps and bounds ahead of the only company that currently offers and affordable diesel engine.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:42 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,577,039 times
Chevy Cruze: Good for getting the f**k out of North Korea... and not much else.

AFP: N. Korea bars South 'humanitarian' delegation

Old 04-17-2013, 09:44 PM

1,781 posts, read 4,047,740 times
Can we get a gasoline Cruze wagon first?

Old 04-17-2013, 10:18 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,944,242 times
Diesel is not economically viable in the U.S.

I buy my gas in Western NJ.

87: 3.19
Diesel: 3.98

Diesel is not worth the $0.79 per gallon premium.

Case closed.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:31 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,577,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
Case closed.
WRONG

It depends on where you live.
Valero - 14202 S Figueroa St - Los Angeles, CA - Los Angeles Gas Prices

If you don't like the price of diesel I hope you don't have to buy any food or consumer goods because all of that is dependent on transportation via diesel fueled trucks. Maybe you should explain to the truckers why they should switch to gasoline from diesel with your little comparison. Lets see how quickly you get laughed out of the room.

Last edited by evergraystate; 04-17-2013 at 11:38 PM..

Old 04-17-2013, 10:45 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,207,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post

I buy my gas in Western NJ.

87: 3.19
Diesel: 3.98

Diesel is not worth the $0.79 per gallon premium.

Case closed.

In my case diesel cost about same of premium which is about 10% higher than regular 87.

For a similar vehicle (VW, A3) a diesel engine gives you about 50% higher efficiency (42 GPM vs 28 GPM). Even in your case, 50% (MPG) > 25% (in price).

Furthermore a well maintained diesel engine gives almost double life when compared to a regular one, and you'll see the intangible savings as well. Add to it the much better torque, and you'll understand why transport trucks (who put on so many miles) would only run on diesel engines.

Old 04-18-2013, 05:08 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,520,885 times
And dont forget to include the added cost of maintaining the emmissions equipment added to the vehicles to pass US regs.

Old 04-18-2013, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
And dont forget to include the added cost of maintaining the emmissions equipment added to the vehicles to pass US regs.
Which will be the very interesting part, the automatics in the VW units can cost a bit to maintain as well. I know the DPF currently runs about $2,000, but I imagine costs will come down based on how popular this particular vehicle is in the US marketplace. If this isn't viable, I see an awful lot of cars that will be removing the DPF and having the computers re-tuned. More horsepower, and you can shoot out black soot like a big rig.

Old 04-18-2013, 06:36 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,520,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
Which will be the very interesting part, the automatics in the VW units can cost a bit to maintain as well. I know the DPF currently runs about $2,000, but I imagine costs will come down based on how popular this particular vehicle is in the US marketplace. If this isn't viable, I see an awful lot of cars that will be removing the DPF and having the computers re-tuned. More horsepower, and you can shoot out black soot like a big rig.
Trucks dont even do that anymore... do that in front of me while Im on my bike and you better hope I run out of fuel before you get stopped again and you get alot more than that face full of soot you gave me. Theres a reason that BS is illegal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC