Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 08:52 AM

859 posts, read 2,841,038 times

Advertisements

Boo - We've talked before so you know I have I a 72 Monte myself. I can honestly say you car has a lot nicer paint than mine (mine's basic red) but I'm not a fan of the wheels. The 18's where cool. They where a pretty good size for the car but I didn't care for the rim itself. I Like the newer rim design much better but I think the rim size is way too big for the car. A nice set of 17 or 18 inch wheels look great on these cars but anything larger looks too "rap video" for my tastes.

BTW - Where you at in IL. ? I live just north of the city. Lets get the cars together and grab some beers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 09:47 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,954,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo2lowkey View Post
lol u guy are hilarious keep it coming. I expect nothing less from the older generation but everyone has there taste. I just hate the stock 15'' setup on any classic car. I quess you hate it when Chip Foose and Boyd Coddington finish there cars with larger 20'' + wheels also?
Listen to and learn from the older generation, grasshopper. We know of what we speak

Old 04-18-2011, 10:12 AM

859 posts, read 2,841,038 times
Quote:
I quess you hate it when Chip Foose and Boyd Coddington finish there cars with larger 20'' + wheels also?
Actually I do.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:40 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,933,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
WSend some more photos when it is bouncing up and down like a clown car.
Guys with hydraulics would use smaller stronger wheels.

Quote:
I expect nothing less from the older generation but everyone has there taste.
I'm in my mid 30's and I don't like the 22's. I'm thinking 18's or 19's max and a more classic wheel design.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:42 PM

2,205 posts, read 3,361,620 times
I'm 23 and I would prefer such wheels on this classic car:

http://www.chooseyouritem.com/classi...Door.Coupe.jpg

Old 04-18-2011, 06:17 PM

354 posts, read 2,083,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johna01374 View Post
BTW - Where you at in IL. ? I live just north of the city. Lets get the cars together and grab some beers.
john I'm out in Aurora a few mile off of 88. I just seen your car on the 1st gen Monte Carlo forum car of the month I think I will join the club.

As far as rim selection everyone have their personal preference of taste and size. Its a reason why their 1000's of rims to choose from.

ItsLiKeAnEgG @ Deeznutt...I'm Jeff Egg. When I first got this car it had the 15'' Crager rims with white lettering tires, similar to the torq thrust. Couldn't stand that old fashion classic look , so I bought the Billets. Now 8 year later the Billets are dated. They so dated I cant get no one to buy those Billets for $600 with the tires and they are in excellent condition.

The old fashion classic look is dead. The known carbuilder in the market like Foose, Cuddington crew, WCC and others are going as bigs as 22'' on their cars. Plus the picture does this car no justice. You have to see it up close to appreciate it. You might like it so much you might go buy some 22's yourself.

PDD you still hanging around here.. You must like the clown car, lol...

Gimme3steps just cause you older dont make it right. I guess you cant teach a old dog new trick..

Last edited by Boo2lowkey; 04-18-2011 at 06:30 PM..

Old 04-18-2011, 07:36 PM

773 posts, read 2,646,216 times
Quote:
john I'm out in Aurora a few mile off of 88.
I'm a half-mile off Route 53 and Warrenville Road. I know you mean well, but for me those wheels have too much bling. I visualize spinners, blinking LEDs, and hopping cars along 26th street on the near west side. You'd be a hit at our Cinco de Mayo festivities in the Pilsen area.

But go for it. You are young and exuberant. Take a take lot of photos to show your grand-kids. And write back about your experience in Chicago. Sometimes we give Texans a hard time (we steal their cars, but its all in good fun — just don't come here with your Texas plates when the Bears play the CowBoys!).

Best of luck — Zea

Old 04-18-2011, 08:37 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,870,724 times
Quote:
ItsLiKeAnEgG @ Deeznutt...I'm Jeff Egg. When I first got this car it had the 15'' Crager rims with white lettering tires, similar to the torq thrust. Couldn't stand that old fashion classic look , so I bought the Billets. Now 8 year later the Billets are dated. They so dated I cant get no one to buy those Billets for $600 with the tires and they are in excellent condition.

The old fashion classic look is dead. The known carbuilder in the market like Foose, Cuddington crew, WCC and others are going as bigs as 22'' on their cars. Plus the picture does this car no justice. You have to see it up close to appreciate it. You might like it so much you might go buy some 22's yourself.
My post was meant to give opinion you asked for, not reduce you to tears. I can understand not wanting to stick with the Cragars and white letter tires. Yes it's certainly a classic 70's look. The classic look is only dead to the kids of today. The older folks still enjoy it. Go to most any classic car show and you'll still see Cragars and Ansen slots in sizes 14's and 15's. Those billets you have were dated more than 8 years ago. Their heyday was like 1992. The Torque Thrust II's only somewhat resemble the Cragars but look much better and more up to date. A 17 would be idea; 18 is pushing it. Yes Foose and the others might be doing 22's but that doesn't mean they're what's best. Heck you mentioned WCC, that's too funny...those are the same ones that were on Pimp My Ride doing all the shoddy body work but investing thousands in the electronics yet hardly ever touching the engine short of maybe an oil change. LOL I wouldn't let them pimp my lawnmower much less my ride. But it's your car do what you want. Of interest I noticed you have an electric fuel pump and external filter and most likely a fuel cell if not a sumped fuel tank....that's drag car cosmetics right there just sayin. I see your car as more of a cruiser. Sorry I'd never consider putting chromed Conestoga rims on my car unless it were an Escalade. Not even if you gave them to me and paid me to take them. I just hope you at least installed bigger brakes on the car to handle that extra rolling mass that is now required to stop.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:38 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,875,874 times
Default how many incarnations of the Monte Carlo were there?

the 70-72

the 73-77

the 78-82?

how many more?

Old 04-18-2011, 08:41 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,357,119 times
Quote:
The positive news is that I'm invited to show my car in the Dub Car Show in Chicago this summer. Thanks for the positive feedback along with the bad ones.
Oh goody...the Dub Car Show. An entire community based only on having giant wheels.

IMHO the smaller wheels look better. Huge wheels on most cars look unbalanced and overbearing. It detracts from the overall appearance. When I look at a car like yours I can't see anything but the wheels. But maybe that's your goal, since you didn't mention anything about your car but the history of the wheels you've had on it.

Different strokes for different folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC