Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 02:18 PM

7 posts, read 43,247 times

Advertisements

My husband and i live in Vail and LOVE it, but want to move SOUTH close to family. we love mountain biking, cross country skiing, LIVE music and great restaurants. we don't have kids, we are 28 and 34, so we still love going out, and desire to make at least $90,000 combined. right now, i am a real estate executive assistant + marketing director and he is in shipping and receiving + warehouse manager for a construction tool supply company. ...WHERE SHOULD WE LOOK INTO MOVING?
Many thanks!!

Looking for good jobs + happening nightlife + outdoor activities galore
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 02:36 PM

340 posts, read 1,511,536 times
Default uhhhh

Well your screen name is ashevillebound so perhaps you have already decided? If not, that is a good choice. IMO Asheville is awesome. So is Chattanooga, but Asheville is hipper, closer to the Smokies, and has a lot better dining options. We go on weekend trips to Asheville now and then. If I could choose to live anywhere in the South, it would be there, Chattanooga #2. We moved from the North a bit over a year ago for work, and like it but would move to Asheville if a similar opportunity presented itself.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:00 PM

7 posts, read 43,247 times
i am really into the thought of Asheville! the only problem ... everyone says the job market is REALLY tough! there have to be jobs outside of the medical field, right?!?! i am not looking to be rich, but at least very, very comfortable!!

Old 11-06-2008, 04:29 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,873,725 times
Default Some HomeWork

AB: Yes the Tn /N.C bordor seem to be a outdoor paradise. Being young & some job experience should be in your favor. The whole country is economy challenged for a few more months. Even layoffs today ,Dayton LAZYBOY furniture. !
. You should find some X-Country skiing up by Cherohala Hwy / skyway. Stuff usually melts in a few days though.
. Probably wear my nice Blue fleece VAIL jacket Friday . Today was Bathing Suit out in boat 78 degrees at noon .
..What you mentioned about Husband I would suggest near Cleveland , /half between Chattanooga / KNoxville. VW just starting to break Ground on Mega Mfg plant. Lots of trucking /Construction (CAT / CASE / Homatsu) in region. You can expect to NETWORK or DIG for good jobs.
. My last speedboat came out of Ashville, but cost of living High there.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:45 PM

1,998 posts, read 4,606,032 times
ashevillebound,

My wife and I are a bit older (36, 34) - lived in Chattanooga for a while - now live in the Upstate of SC (45 min south of Asheville) - we've traveled extensively in CO and the southwest.

I'm limiting my comments to you to the East TN/Western NC/North GA/NW SC areas (based on your screen name) - all have similar topography - rolling hills/mountainous vistas (with peaks above 6000 feet in TN/NC).

Regarding your activities:
1. Mountain biking exists but some motorists here are reluctant to share a paved road with you (though, the Blue Ridge Parkway is incredible)
2. Very, very limited cross country skiing (only Beech Mtn, NC comes to mind)
3. Live Music - hmm, Asheville maybe?
4. "Great" Restaurants - again, Asheville

You will NOT make anywhere near a combined $90K in Asheville - the job market there is extremely tight unless you happen to be in healthcare.

So: (to reiterate your last points)

Good Jobs? Not around the Blue Ridge/Smokies vicinity - unless you would want to live "close" to these areas: Chattanooga, Knoxville, Greenville, or even Atlanta/Charlotte/Triad area.

Happenin' Nightlife? HAHAHA, maybe Asheville?

Outdoor Activities? Yes, similar activities exist - but Vail IMHO would be vastly more scenic.

Maybe you could visit family here more often?

Old 11-06-2008, 11:05 PM

22 posts, read 159,205 times
Hi Guys I would suggest near Knoxville or Chattanooga but probably more knoxville. I am a Realtor that works the entire Eastern region and I think based on what you have written that Knoxville would come pretty close. Chattanooga is not far behind but nightlife is not quite so active. JMO

Old 11-07-2008, 06:42 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,873,725 times
Thumbs up NOV 20th Pro/ Supplier JOb EXPO

AB: Nov 20th is Professional Job Fair Expo at Chatt convention center.
Sounds like a great chance to plan your Dream Re-locate. Hate to see
someone miss a good opportunity by a few days.
. Yes ,I agree with M.B. - KNoxville slightly bigger city for weekend. Chat early June has that NINE day RIVERBEND music festival. Also almost 90 minutes South on I-75 can be in ATLANTA.
. A year from now with VW full workforce the night scene will have to grow.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:18 PM

246 posts, read 754,684 times
A nice place for Mountain biking is Fall Creek Falls State Park in the Dunlap/Spencer area

Old 11-13-2008, 02:24 PM

184 posts, read 676,176 times
Default chattanooga gettin cooler everyday

If you love great restaurants & shopping Asheville could be worth it however...
The problem with jobs in Asheville:
way way too many people choosing to move to Asheville leaves an incredibly competitive job market that didn't have many jobs in the first place!
Example: my partner worked at a health food store in aville & they got stacks of resumes & applications everyday(at a friggin grocery store!) Almost everyone he worked with had a college degree or two!! (& had to work at a friggin grocery store!!)
Asheville is an awesome place to live but my advice is to find the job BEFORE you get there. I seriously have met more than one person that moved to aville & than 4 months later had to move away because they couldn't find a job that wasn't service/tourist industry related. Ideal work situations in Asheville could be be freelance work, own your own biz, or waitress or bartender at high end restaurant(u seriously might make 90,000 doing that there)
Another thing to consider is how isolated Asheville is from anything other cities. Aside from being somewhat close to Charlotte(which isn't much of a destination). There are no nearby metropolitan areas to go on a fun day trip. Closest is Atlanta... 4 hours drive(don't let mapquest tell you different)...Driving through the mountains is slow & tedious. Flying out of asheville costs twice as much as flying out of charlotte or atlanta so most folks drive & pay to park to fly from somewhere else.

I don't know anything about Knoxville(i'm sure it's lovely) however CHATTANOOGA!! (just my opinion) is pretty rad & not that it doesn't have it's own identity but it seems to get more like Asheville everyday(the good parts of asheville)
There are some really nifty festivals & many art events going on regularly: (here are just a few links)
MAINx24 2008 - A 24 Hour Celebration of Main Street Chattanooga Tennessee
http://www.4bridgesartsfestival.org/
Riverbend Festival 2008
Nature & mountain/river hiking & sports abound:
(here's a 2008 article in outside magazine about that may be helpful & lists the largest employers of the area) Best Towns 2008: Chattanooga, TN | Outside Online (http://outside.away.com/outside/destinations/200808/best-towns-chattanooga-tennessee.html - broken link)
I've only been here for a 2 months & new restaurants & locally owned shops open frequently. The weather is great here if you love sunshine: Chattanooga climate normals and records
It's really affordable(for now) & if you get bored there's always Atlanta, Nashville, Birmingham, & knoxville all only a 2 hour drive! Of course you should visit all the places you are considering! Even though your screenname is ashevillebound consider that many other southern cities are becoming really nice destinations & after years of Asheville I'm really lovin Chattanooga! Much more space, less competitive, less traffic, nicer people, in my opinion.

Old 11-14-2008, 08:42 AM

2,071 posts, read 7,680,009 times
the key is "nicer people"

if everyone moving here is nice, then things won't change all that much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga