Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2010, 02:47 PM

2 posts, read 11,731 times

Advertisements

We are a young couple thinking of moving to Chattanooga. I grew up in the south and my GF grew up in the southwest. We are both professionals in our early 30s. While we both love Chicago and everything it offers we think its time for a change. I will have a job and she thinks she will have something.

With all that being said, do you think we will have a good time? We like good food, going out to bars (not nightclubs) and drinking great wine, trying new beers and anything fun ...and if its free even better.

We enjoy being able to walk to restaurants in chicago...any place that offers that in Chattanooga? Any young people out there care to share what keeps them busy in their free time?

What housing areas do you suggest a young couple with no kids look into first? Any help is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 04:59 AM

849 posts, read 2,955,329 times
Regarding housing, looking to rent or own? The common consensus here is to rent before you buy, but that is a decision each will make. What are you looking for as far as housing - apartment, townhome/condo, single family residence?

I consider myself immature and younger than the gray hair on my head, but I'll let the young'uns on here address the bar scene and such. I will say that the area that is the most walkable with a lot of restaurants and bars would start near the Tennessee Aquarium and work your way out from there. Much has been written on this forum regarding the restaurants and hotels. Restaurants that are must do for me would be Big River Grille, Lupis, Taco Mamacita, the Blue Plate, and the Boathouse - you'll need a car for the last one. Hotels would be Hilton Garden Inn and Sheraton Read House, but those are the only two we've stayed at, there are several nice looking ones near the Aquarium that I am sure would be fine. Look to the right of this page and there is a search function to research more on this subject.

A few years ago on a vacation here (since then have relocated) I snapped some pics that will make you feel at home, away from the Magnificent Mile.

Chicago...

Chattanooga...

There is no shopping like the Mile, but the appearance of tree lined downtown streets will definitely remind you of Chicago.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:05 AM

1,398 posts, read 2,509,390 times
Apparently, Priuses are popular in both places. LOL

I live in Chattanooga now with my family (I'm a little older than you). We live in East Brainerd, but I recommend couples with no kids live closer in, toward downtown. Specifically, check out the North Shore all the way up to Altamont Rd., neighborhoods around the University (Highland Park, Fort Wood). You might also look at parts of Missionary Ridge (also look at Ridgeside), Brainerd (Glendon Place, Tuxedo Circle), and even St. Elmo, at the foot of Lookout Mountain.

Old 03-06-2010, 05:41 PM

849 posts, read 2,955,329 times
Wow, how did you pick out that detail? (priuses). My family will be living in East Brainerd/Oooltewah in June. Also saw a home on Missionary Ridge that would fit the bill... Good suggestions

Old 03-06-2010, 10:27 PM

31 posts, read 90,376 times
I just moved here from Lincoln Park (DePaul) to attend UTC for graduate school. To be honest Chattanooga is a big change but has been much easier than expected. The bar scene can not really compare with Chicago. It is laid back, not as hectic, and overall it does remind me of Chicago nightlife on slow days. When the weathers nice you can not beat the outdoor activities (hiking, fishing, free concerts, and what not). I live on the northshore in a loft right next to coolidge park, so being able to walk to downtown area has helped with the adjustment. Overall I enjoy Chattanooga, and the people down here are super friendly and helpful.
I found my Apartment with the place below and you will notice the rent is very affordable compared to Chicago.
http://www.sceniccityrentals.com/properties.html

Last edited by jjs7one; 03-06-2010 at 10:36 PM..

Old 03-07-2010, 06:05 PM

2 posts, read 11,731 times
Thanks for all the help. We r flying in this Thursday and staying until Monday. I hope to get a better feel for chattanooga. Overall it sounds great: big enough to keep us entertained bur small enough that we don't have the chaos of Chicago. Also from what I Can tell housing is very affordable (friends here in Chicago just dropped 420k for 3 bdr condo) We r going to rent first and would like condo / townhouse that is close to the fun and modern. Thanks for the advice and if you think of anything else feel free to share! Also love the tree lined streets...and we don't shop on the mile, it's outta our price range but it's fun to look! What's the best steakhouse in Chattanooga?

Old 03-07-2010, 07:43 PM

340 posts, read 1,512,306 times
If you think you can't drop $400k on a 3 bedroom condo in the Noog, you're in for a shock . . .

Crye-Leike, REALTORS®:: Property Search Results

The developers down here seem to have a bit of an odd skew on demographics imo.

Best steakhouse is Hennen's, hands down.

The shopping and dining is definitely more middle / working class than Chicago, just the difference in economies. Don't expect a lot of mid-high to high-end stuff. There are plenty of places to shop and dine, but don't be surprised when you find "The biggest mall in TN" doesn't have places like Pottery Barn, Williams-Sonoma, Anthropologie, North Face, or other popular stores. A lot of the independent restaurants are delis, although there are a handful of standouts (like Hennen's). Most non-independents cater to the middle - Chili's, Logan's, etc.

But it's really nice here, good weather, hilly / mountainous terrain, lots of nature close by. We enjoy living here, but get a little stir crazy from time to time and miss the big city.

Last edited by dasmarian; 03-07-2010 at 07:57 PM..

Old 03-25-2010, 10:50 AM

1 posts, read 5,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backdownsouth View Post
Thanks for all the help. We r flying in this Thursday and staying until Monday. I hope to get a better feel for chattanooga. Overall it sounds great: big enough to keep us entertained bur small enough that we don't have the chaos of Chicago. Also from what I Can tell housing is very affordable (friends here in Chicago just dropped 420k for 3 bdr condo) We r going to rent first and would like condo / townhouse that is close to the fun and modern. Thanks for the advice and if you think of anything else feel free to share! Also love the tree lined streets...and we don't shop on the mile, it's outta our price range but it's fun to look! What's the best steakhouse in Chattanooga?
Hi Backdownsouth.I am wondering if you made your trip to Chattanooga. I live in Chicago and am thinking of moving there as well! Would love to hear what you thought about it. I am in my late 30's and no kids either so looking for the same kind of activities/interests. Thanks so much!

Old 03-26-2010, 03:10 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,683,240 times
If I were young and tragically hip...the Southside or the Northshore is what I'd be checking out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga