Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2012, 09:13 AM

29 posts, read 76,337 times

Advertisements

My partner and I are planning on moving from Murfreesboro down to the Chattanooga area in the next couple of years. Ideally we are wanting a place with maybe 10 +/- acres to have a small hobby farm. I prefer with either mountains near by or a creek, but those are just ideals not necessities. We are looking to stay within an hour of the city for work. Any suggestions on areas to look in to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 10:38 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,881,475 times
Cool Rt # 127 , 28 , 27 Powell X-rds.

Tall.: WELCOME. You might start on the North West direction from Chatt...Towards Powell Cross - roads.
..Could have all three of your wishes.. Prior posts can be SEARCH above.. It is possible a 15 acre or more tract would save you more taxes than a 10 acre lot.. Due to the green-belt farming incentive. ?

Old 09-01-2012, 06:55 AM

29 posts, read 76,337 times
That sounds like a very good candidate. Is it in the same time zone as Chatt? Are there any good areas to the east of town? I've never been over that way.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:00 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,881,475 times
T,: It seems Powell X-roads is into the Central time zone or SLOW time , one hr later than Chatt , as some people call it.
2) Your search for 10 acres of land may be difficult going east as stuff along I-75 is now heavy populated with VW mfg plant & Amazon expansion, & newer schools.. Also more mountain & gorge terrain, not level for farming.
3) You may get a good low price just to the SOUTH , into Georgia....As the carpet industry had so many closures & homes, etc.. It was a feature story on the 5pm TV news the other night.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:44 PM

70 posts, read 213,755 times
If you want to investigate some areas East of Chattanooga (Hamilton Co.), I'd recommend looking at western Polk Co. and southern McMinn Co. (along the US 411 Highway). Land prices are more reasonable, waterways (creeks, rivers) are abundant, as is mountain areas just to the East. Traveling time to Chattanooga is within your 1 hr. requirement (from most locations) and still provides the rural setting you seek. Bradley Co. (just east of Hamilton Co.) is also a possibility, but land prices tend to mirror Hamilton Co. in most places. Try looking on Craigslist-Chattanooga and searching for land/farms for sale in Bradley, Polk and McMinn Co.'s. BTW, I live in Bradley Co.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:44 AM

3 posts, read 4,711 times
I would also recommend you check out Sale Creek. I know there are plenty of mountain views and creeks in that area, it is under an hour drive to Chattanooga, and you would still be in Hamilton County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga