Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2007, 09:12 AM

3 posts, read 13,416 times

Advertisements

About the only thing that we have decided is that we think E. TN is for us!

After that, we N E E D FACTS, advice, opionins, the 411 on E. TN.

Wanted: hobby farm with about 10 acres, room for the mutts too, short trip (=> 30 - 45 mins) to work and town, good school, college in a few years, and all this for under 200,000. Can it be done???

I have a Masters degree in Mgmt, with no real supervisory experience. My experience is 7 yrs at a Natural Gas Co./utility in the Engineering Dept. Drawings and record keeping.

Hubby is road construction and good at it! "Can do anything anywhere."

**Here in MN we live on 1.5 miles of gravel before getting onto interstate, 15 miles out of town of 15,ooo. We both make "good money." There are lakes about every 1-5 miles and some good horse back riding. Want about the same set up ANYWHERE in TN. We are aiming for the Eastern side because of the mountains, but so far looks pretty touristy, true? Really want more of the "country living" not too far out of town.

Have daughter going into 8th grade this fall, what is the deal with the schools in TN? I was lurking through some old posts, and the school situation sounds pretty scary.........

THANKS FOR YOUR HONEST, U S E FU L input!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 12:11 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,882,669 times
Default Many many Questions.

R: You sure have a FULL Plate, will be very surprized if you do not have to comprimise along the way. North Hamilton co,(Chattanooga) has most of yor farms. City even has a few Road PAVING companies, that are using new GREEN tech materials. You will like our SMOOTH paved roads in East Tenn.
Not sure of 10 acre spread under $200k , but more selection for 5 acres.
Jobs with your North "GOOD MONEY" not very common right up front, Still looking after one year. A four year degree goes a long way though.
SCHOOLs(Public) getting better, more budget with the lottery, new SUPER very agressive. Drop out rate rate about 26% WHICH SEEMS HIGH FOR ME. Many PRIVATE schools in Hamilton co(Lots of Churches) if serious about ed. Check into tuition assistance.
I guess Pigeon Forge really seeks the Motel Tourist summer trade, and the city of Chatt, with various festivals, conventions pays bills with our high sales tax / room tax, but you are looking for rural horse country. Away from the I-75 tractor -trailer route you will love our country. The Tenn river flows for hundreds of miles in and out of wider LAKES with locks, for great boating fishing, kayak, etc.
The secret has been out for the past year or 18 months, so I would suggest a visit and do more homework as to how much salery your NEED for the lifestyle or location you wish. North Hamilton , (Sale Creek) has all the land / lakes you wish...............[/IMG]

Old 07-17-2007, 12:38 PM

3 posts, read 13,416 times
R: You sure have a FULL Plate, will be very surprized if you do not have to comprimise along the way. I KNEW that I would have to, just how much is the question.

North Hamilton co,(Chattanooga) has most of yor farms. City even has a few Road PAVING companies, that are using new GREEN tech materials. You will like our SMOOTH paved roads in East Tenn. Already looking forward to that!

Not sure of 10 acre spread under $200k , but more selection for 5 acres. Can you recommend any realtors? Have gotten a sniff of the realtors jacking the prices on homes etc.., for sale. Any truth to that? Recommend any reputible agents?

*Looked at www.fsob.com for a general idea on prices. Some of the prettiest places are well over 350k. OUT OF OUR RANGE. Especially if the companies actually pay $9-10/hr. HOW DO PEOPLE SURVIVE with those wages?

**Also, keep hearing MANY inferences about the tax situation. Care to go into deatil about this subject? Ex. For our 6.25 acres, house, out bldgs etc.., we pay about $700.00/yr. We have open enrollment here so kid has choice of 3 schools. All buses come right past our driveway.

** On the school subject again, has TN adopted that "in school for 3 mos, off for 2 weeks" around the calendar schedule yet?

Jobs with your North "GOOD MONEY" not very common right up front, Still looking after one year. What do you live on in the meantime? What is reasonable $ to expect (range)? What's the interest rate?

A four year degree goes a long way though. Have noticed most "descent jobs" demanded at least a bachelors, but wages didn't seem to be a motivator for the education. Care to suggest companies I could/should apply to?

SCHOOLs(Public) getting better, more budget with the lottery, new SUPER very agressive. Drop out rate rate about 26% WHICH SEEMS HIGH FOR ME. VERY HIGH!!

Many PRIVATE schools in Hamilton co(Lots of Churches) if serious about ed. Check into tuition assistance. Really??

I guess Pigeon Forge really seeks the Motel Tourist summer trade, and the city of Chatt, with various festivals, conventions pays bills with our high sales tax / room tax, but you are looking for rural horse country. Away from the I-75 tractor -trailer route you will love our country. Since the Job Service(s) in TN ((are nothing like I have ever encountered!!)) can you please give me some of the county/city names, so I can better narrow my search? MUCH APPRECIATED!!

The Tenn river flows for hundreds of miles in and out of wider LAKES with locks, for great boating fishing, kayak, etc. NOW you're talking!
The secret has been out for the past year or 18 months, so I would suggest a visit and do more homework Can you recommend websites etc..? Doing the research from the spare bedroom.... Have plans to fly down to the first (lucky?) interviewer and stay for an extra few days to get a feeling for the place. I KNOW that I (personally) could make some very eroneous judgements and decisions with kind of time constraints. PLEASE HELP!

as to how much salery your NEED for the lifestyle or location you wish. North Hamilton , (Sale Creek) has all the land / lakes you wish I "need" enough to have 3 horses, no less than 5 acres, access to descent school (college) in 4 yrs, and room to ride. Hubby ==> must have <== fireplace and a shop. Maybe not in that order ;-)

Thought: I have heard my parents talk about people "swapping" homes. Sometimes for vacations, sometimes to sell, have you ever heard of such a thing? Might be something else to check into.

Again, THANKS for ANY help!!

Old 07-17-2007, 08:37 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,882,669 times
Default State LINKS info

The WHITE ,City-Data logo ,upper Left of main page will give more search info when you double click on it.
More links were sent to your Private msg mail box, upper RIGHT corner of main page.........................................[/IMG]

Old 07-28-2007, 06:53 AM

31 posts, read 100,768 times
I'm new to this forum and wasn't sure if you've actually come through Chattanooga yet or are still in the planning process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga