Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 12:22 PM

4 posts, read 8,135 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

My wife and I are in our mid 30's and absolutely love Charlotte! We are so done with living on Long Island and hoped to be able to move to Charlotte at the end of last year for many reasons. I've been an attorney for 10 years, working in Manhattan for some of the biggest law firms in the country.

I've been trying every day to find a job in the Charlotte area. I've sent letters to practically every law firm and insurance company (I work in the insurance field) in the area, applied to open jobs, spoke to headhunters, sought help from all my contacts, etc. I haven't received one good lead. It's been extremely frustrating for us and we are at a loss for what to do next.

If anyone can suggest anything or provide some sort of advice, I'd be eternally grateful.

Thanks so very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 12:39 PM

2,948 posts, read 7,019,456 times
Well, if the traditional means aren't working, what about broadening your search beyond Charlotte. The state's unemployment rate is extremely high, and you're already competing against local competition. Have a plan B?

Old 04-21-2010, 01:00 PM

79 posts, read 233,402 times
For the first time in recent history... all the major law firms in Charlotte has laid off attorneys in the last 18 months... I have several friends in the field and because of the bank melt down all firms have cut back on the number of lawyers they employ. Some of the ones not let go have changed to other specialities to remain employed.

Old 04-21-2010, 03:00 PM

138 posts, read 413,064 times
Hi, I am also an attorney from NY who has already re-located to the Charlotte area. I came down in early 2007, and did not figure on my license taking 18 months to transfer. As a result, I lost out on 3 job opportunities due to the economic downturn. Since then, legal jobs are few and far between. I have started my own practice - out of sheer necessity. Good luck in your search.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:59 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by par4 View Post
Hi, I am also an attorney from NY who has already re-located to the Charlotte area. I came down in early 2007, and did not figure on my license taking 18 months to transfer. As a result, I lost out on 3 job opportunities due to the economic downturn. Since then, legal jobs are few and far between. I have started my own practice - out of sheer necessity. Good luck in your search.
Maybe the two of you should team up

I too know of attorneys and paralegals who have been laid off in the last 12 months - it's just tough here across the board right now.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:03 AM

Thanks to everyone who responded. I guess I'll just have to keep trying. If anyone else has any advice, or comments about moving from Long Island, I'd love to hear it. Thanks so much again.

Old 04-24-2010, 05:59 PM

14 posts, read 42,098 times
Have you looked in Fort Mill, SC or any other nearby area? Or perhaps like mentioned, you could start your own law firm....I know that's easier said than done, good luck to you!

Old 04-30-2010, 09:02 AM

Again my thanks to all who have read this post. I will keep at it.

If anyone ever becomes aware of a Charlotte area firm that needs an attorney, please keep me in mind. I've worked at some of the biggest and most highly regarded law firms in Manhattan, on larage trials such as the World Trade Center trial, and prior to that for a Federal Judge and the General Counsel for the New York Stock Exchange. I'd be most appreciative.

Thank you again.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:52 AM

I'm still trying to find to find work in Charlotte. Can anyone tell me if the legal/insurance market has gotten any better since I last posted or provide any other advice? I still try every day to find a job so we can move, but it seems impossible at times. Thank you again for any assistance or advice.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:15 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,805,531 times
To be perfectly blunt "NOPE"...Sorry LongIslandLawyer. but competition here is fierce even for the part time jobs.... Charlotte suffered really hard during the economic meltdown.....Chances are better elsewhere like Dallas, Denver...those places were hit..but not like Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte