Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2011, 09:28 AM

1 posts, read 1,438 times

Advertisements

I feel stuck here on Long Island and am looking to make some moves! 23 years old, graduated college last May. Currently an executive assistant but looking to find a job in marketing/advertising. I don't want to struggle in New York, really need a fresh start somewhere else. Looking to plan a trip to charlotte in the near future to see if this is the right place for me Any tips on relocating from Long Island (Suffolk) to the Charlotte area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 09:48 AM

958 posts, read 1,735,415 times
Uptown, South End, Myers Park, Dilworth and South Park areas.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:55 AM

23,816 posts, read 34,920,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin8 View Post
I feel stuck here on Long Island and am looking to make some moves! 23 years old, graduated college last May. Currently an executive assistant but looking to find a job in marketing/advertising. I don't want to struggle in New York, really need a fresh start somewhere else. Looking to plan a trip to charlotte in the near future to see if this is the right place for me Any tips on relocating from Long Island (Suffolk) to the Charlotte area?
There are concentrations of businesses for marketing & advertising in NYC, Philadelphia, Chicago, & LA. Whether you are looking in Charlotte of any other city with less of a concentration of those businesses, I'd suggest that you have a job offer before deciding that that's where you want to move, unless you're willing to take any job.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:59 AM

10,738 posts, read 22,947,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
There are concentrations of businesses for marketing & advertising in NYC, Philadelphia, Chicago, & LA. Whether you are looking in Charlotte of any other city with less of a concentration of those businesses, I'd suggest that you have a job offer before deciding that that's where you want to move, unless you're willing to take any job.
Yup--you definitely don't want to be moving to NC without a job lined up, right now.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:26 PM

106 posts, read 264,914 times
i have no tips but did you like long island, and how do people in NY view Hofstra? im thinking about going there for business..

Old 01-25-2011, 01:35 PM

2,947 posts, read 7,048,796 times
Sorry to say, but I think 90% or higher of college grads are struggling no matter where they are or what degree they have, especially if you're young and have limited professional experience. Just a fact of life - if your young and trying to break into the job market, you are struggling.

That said, if you want to pursue a job in your degree, you need to focus on the cities that generally have these type of jobs. Once you can find a pool of jobs to apply for, start going after them. Whatever sticks is where you need to focus your relocation efforts.

I don't want to sound condescending or rude, but this is a big part of the picture I am noticing recent younger grads are not seeing. (My younger brother is a recent grad with a MA and absolutely no professional experience aside from internships). Your first several years out of college will be a struggle. There is virtually no way to avoid this unless you land the "unicorn" (see: mythical) job offer. You will not be getting ahead for several years, and a lot of times you will feel like you are just spinning your tires. But, this is apart of making your way and getting a foothold in the professional world - and, paying your dues. We've all been there, done that. Every job application you submit will be competing against many others who have very limited professional experience similar to yourself along with experienced applicants that have several years of work and a portfolio to back it up. The quicker you accept that you will be struggling to survive for a few more years, the quicker you will realize that find the perfect state isn't going to help your cause. Chase the jobs and go for the job offer. Once you have time under your belt and a portfolio that can prove your skills, then it will be time to start looking for the perfect place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte