Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 09:09 AM

11 posts, read 17,571 times

Advertisements

I currently own a business on Long Island. My goal is continue to my title as President while moving the family to the Charlotte area.

My current house is sold. My wife and I have been looking on LI but I continue to cringe at the tax rate for homes in the $500-$565k area. Each home we've liked has taxes between $11,000-$13,000 per year. The house I sold was $10.5k.

I have seen some great listings in the Weddington/Providence locations from a Charlotte based realtor..thank you.

Of course, schools are the greatest concern considering we have two boys 7 & 5.

From all the posts I've read about schools, it seems the CMS system is a complete crap shoot. With your, help I'd like to reduce the risks of moving to the 'bad' CMS schools. People opinions vary and that is fine. Based on my preliminary research it seems the Weddington and or Providence schools are above all others.

My housing price range: $400k-$500k. Amenities: 4 br, 2ba+, property, .5 ac +, community pool, clubhouse, etc. Commute is out of the equation. Will be working from a home office.

Any help, feedback etc. would greatly be appreciated. Let's hear from those who were from Long Island!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 09:29 AM

174 posts, read 478,217 times
CMS schools are defiinitely hit or miss, but there is 1 area that all 3 levels of school are excellent (Elon Park Elem., Community House Middle, Ardrey Kell H.S.)....that is the Ballantyne Area / South Charlotte. In your price range you will have many options to find exactly what you are looking for in a house.

Not sure what part of Long Island you are from....in my opinion if you are from Suffolk County....way out east, than Weddington & Marvin may be ok for you, but for me and dont get me wrong, the taxes are cheaper, and the Union County schools as a whole are better than CMS schools, and probably anywhere you lived within Marvin / Weddington you would not have to worry about the schools and research them on a school by school basis as you would need to do in Charlotte....but for us....it was a little "too country".

A lot of people sacrifice the location (10-20 minutes from Ballantyne) for more house for your dollar, lower taxes, better schools, but I just feel the Ballantyne area as a whole most closely resembles something you would find on Merrick Rd. / Sunrise Highway....tons of stores, shopping, restaurants, banks, etc.....but with a much newer and cleaner look.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:37 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,052,959 times
jay makes excellent points, coming from Nassau county you'd be more inclined to prefer the Ballantyne area over the Waxhaw area... Keep in mind Weddington is Union County schools.

You'll find tons of options and many transplanted NY / LIers all over the areas mentioned here and you should be picky for your price range. You can even build new full brick to meet your requirements.

I would suggest that you stick with the following High Schools and work it out from there - loosely in order moving away from South Charlotte:

Providence (CMS)
Ardrey Kell (CMS)
Weddington (UCPS)
Marvin Ridge (UCPS)
Cuthbertson (UCPS)

It can get as country as you want it to be...

Old 02-21-2011, 10:15 AM

285 posts, read 802,102 times
come on down!

former Holbrook resident, and now in Waxhaw. It was a great move for our family. You can get a great house in your price range. and you'll be able to live a lot better

Feel free to DM me on any questions. We even have a great pizza place!!!

Old 02-21-2011, 10:28 AM

11 posts, read 17,571 times
Thank you for the feedback so far. From Melville, Long Island. Will look up the schools listed and the areas stated.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:57 AM

841 posts, read 1,435,779 times
My wife is from Icelandia and loves South Charlotte.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:20 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,931,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ostreds09 View Post
I currently own a business on Long Island. My goal is continue to my title as President while moving the family to the Charlotte area.

My current house is sold. My wife and I have been looking on LI but I continue to cringe at the tax rate for homes in the $500-$565k area. Each home we've liked has taxes between $11,000-$13,000 per year. The house I sold was $10.5k.

I have seen some great listings in the Weddington/Providence locations from a Charlotte based realtor..thank you.

Of course, schools are the greatest concern considering we have two boys 7 & 5.

From all the posts I've read about schools, it seems the CMS system is a complete crap shoot. With your, help I'd like to reduce the risks of moving to the 'bad' CMS schools. People opinions vary and that is fine. Based on my preliminary research it seems the Weddington and or Providence schools are above all others.

My housing price range: $400k-$500k. Amenities: 4 br, 2ba+, property, .5 ac +, community pool, clubhouse, etc. Commute is out of the equation. Will be working from a home office.

Any help, feedback etc. would greatly be appreciated. Let's hear from those who were from Long Island!

Welcome to Charlotte - you'll find lots of others from your neck of the woods here too!

CMS DOES have some great schools - so don't be afraid to do your research and find them. It's just that now that Charlotte is such a large city you will find all kinds of social ills showing up in some of the more challenged neighborhoods. In your price range you'd be fine with the schools

Old 02-21-2011, 11:41 AM

174 posts, read 478,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ostreds09 View Post
Thank you for the feedback so far. From Melville, Long Island. Will look up the schools listed and the areas stated.
You won't find anything that resembles "110" in Union County. It all depends on what you and your family are looking for. It's good to get info here on these boards, but ultimately you need to come down for a weekend and do some exlporing on your own to fully grasp the different areas and what each one has to offer.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:59 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,830,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaytarheel View Post
You won't find anything that resembles "110" in Union County. It all depends on what you and your family are looking for. It's good to get info here on these boards, but ultimately you need to come down for a weekend and do some exlporing on your own to fully grasp the different areas and what each one has to offer.
This is true. You will not see the "fill" there is in Nassau and Western Suffolk counties unless you are inside certain areas of the I-485 belt. Fill = what you would see driving east from Queens on Sunrise Hwy, Rte 25, 25A, 27A, etc... where you pass from one town into another without knowing because your are constantly passing by strip malls, businesses, housing, etc... Naturally the closer in you are to uptown Charlotte, it is surrounded by more mature neighborhoods, much like Nassau (to me a nicer version in many areas).

You'll also see this as you drive out of Charlotte on certain roads to the 'burbs, but by no means is every plot of land inside 485 built on as you would see in Nassau County.

It would be best to make a few trips and visit different areas each time.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:32 PM

201 posts, read 970,661 times
I grew up on LI and lived in queens for 5 years and I think there are not many "bad" schools here especially in that price range...having been through it, I think that the only way you can figure out where you want to go is to come down for a long weekend and ride around with a realtor to get a quick feel for the place..Ideally then, rent a place until you can really get to know the area...also, you may be able to afford a good private school...I can't give you a comparison to LI since it's newer, cleaner and more open compared to L.I. It's just very different. Unless we are talking the nicest areas of Nassau, Nassau was gross to me...I love eastern LI and parts of western Suffolk and miss the beaches, but like you say- the prices are insane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte