Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 03:23 PM

10 posts, read 14,968 times

Advertisements

If you have moved from Long Island to Charlotte, what are your opinions/advice . I grew up on the Island in the 70's. Now it's way too crowded, expensive and arrogant for me. If you know what I mean , please respond with your thoughts/advice. I love the outdoors, biking hiking, kayaking, but also fine dining and cultural events. Also, I'm in my forties, what is the social-straight -dating scene like ? Would appreciate honest feedback. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 03:31 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack kennedy View Post
If you have moved from Long Island to Charlotte, what are your opinions/advice . I grew up on the Island in the 70's. Now it's way too crowded, expensive and arrogant for me. If you know what I mean , please respond with your thoughts/advice. I love the outdoors, biking hiking, kayaking, but also fine dining and cultural events. Also, I'm in my forties, what is the social-straight -dating scene like ? Would appreciate honest feedback. Thank you.
This could be biased...but I live on LI, however I have spent A LOT of time in Charlotte. It's just ok, but coming from LI, I think you will be very disappointed as I was. NYC has everything a person could ever want, as does LI. Charlotte is 2 hours maybe more from any kind of beach. Maybe you are not a beach person, but that is a big big big turn off for me. There is a lot of undeveloped land and what IS developed isn't as nice, IMO, as Long Island. Yeah houses are bigger and newer, but so what, it doesn't mean they are better.

Everything is slower paced down there. Less traffic yes, but things take freakin' forever! I am not a patient person and I want things when I want them. The south isn't for impatient people.

Moreover, I am a firm believer in "you get what you pay for." NYC/LI are expensive for a reason.

Old 10-13-2009, 04:59 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
I have two friends from LI who love it here. Granted, they are married and have kids and that may be at least in part why they like it here - as Charlotte is very family oriented.

I do think the whole beach thing could be a problem, as many people from LI have mentioned this - a big adjustment. But again - that is all very individual. It may be this is not an issue for you.

Your lifestyle and discretionary income will probably determine a lot about where you would live and what kind of dating scene you would find here. I have a few unmarried friends in their 40s and they seem to meet a lot of people they have dated at gyms as well as with outdoor activities - and there is always work. One belongs to a club and has gotten to know folks that way. I am not single and have never spent time in the bar scene here, so really can't comment on that as far as meeting folks. Another of my friends is active in his church and has made many friends that way.

We have a super selection of golf courses and golf clubs here so if you are into golf, you will enjoy being here (and that is a great way to make new friends).

You didn't mention your line of work . . . so the big thing would be finding a job if you don't have a transfer opportunity. If you have that aspect taken care of, then it would be good if you made a trip here to see what the region "feels" like to you - and check out where you would like to live.

If you like the mountains, we are actually closer to the mountains than to the beach. Lots of outdoor opportunities there, too.

You really need to visit and see what you think about the area. It may be exactly what you are looking for.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:19 PM

14 posts, read 25,492 times
Hi! I moved to Charlotte from Westchester, NY in May. I just moved back to Ny even my husband is still in Charlotte. I couldn't feel it home, the people drive like maniacs, they all think they Nascar racers, just because the track is closed by. They take forever to do things.Food and clothing is the same price than NY. The only advantage I found there, is that the rentals are cheaper. I rented an apartment in a gated community I saw caps every single day, The neighbors across my garage used to sit outside to smoke pot.Like I said every door in the complex had double luck, here in westchester nobody luck the door. i WILL NEVER GO BACK THERE. Good luck, if you decide to go.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:43 PM

539 posts, read 1,497,802 times
I moved here 3 1/2 yrs ago from LI and love it. I for one was never much of a beach person, so no issue there. But you are only 3 hrs from the beach to the east and 3 hrs to the mountains in the west. It is not as slow paced as the other poster suggested, slower yes at places but not like the stereo type you here about. I don't know what the other poster means by things taking forever, I have not seen that. There are great neighborhoods with nice homes. There is lots of open space and on the outskirts of Charlotte towns are working hard to make sure what gets developed fits in with the picture the town has for itself. I spent my first 40 yrs on LI and have visited a number of times. Every time I go I can't wait to get back home.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:56 PM

841 posts, read 1,431,454 times
My wife moved from LI and her biggest issue is that she wants her family to move here too.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:32 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,983,711 times
The ONLY negative is if your a beach person, Charlotte won't be for you. I lived a block from the ocean for 32 years. Living near the ocean is fantastic however, it was time for a change for me and my family.

We love Charlotte. Of coarse it's not NYC. If I wanted the excitement of NYC, I would have stayed in NY. When I moved here, I was not expecting Charlotte to be like NYC, THAT was my whole point of moving here.

From what you described in what you wanted, you'd be very happy here. But, come down here for a few visits and look around.

I think it is extremely poor planning and decision making, if you move here and love the beach or you moved here for a fast-paced life.

There is plenty of hiking, kayaking and other outdoor things to do.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:12 PM

123 posts, read 328,508 times
I moved here from LI with my wife and three kids and we love it here, no regrets. We moved for many of the same reasons you mentioned and have found it quite refreshing here. Charlotte is no different than any other place in that some will like it and others won't. You certainly will not find a shortage of LI'ers here as well as people from all over the map. As for the "slow pace" others mention, I have not found it so. I think some are just used to being stressed out and uptight, and its not like that here. Coming from LI you will find driving and traffic a breeze. Manhattan is a great city, no doubt, but most people in the world find a way to survive not living there, and yes there is fine dining and cultural events here also. The weather alone can put you in a good mood and there is plenty of outdoor activities to do. You can make a great weekend trip to the shore or the mountains, or even make it a day trip. As far as the singles scene and dating, my wife won't let me , so I cant say much about it, but I work in Ballantyne and it is a great place to live if you are single. You will here it from others, and rightly so, dont move without a career path in mind as it will take a while to find a job, even as a nascar driver. Good luck !

Old 10-14-2009, 05:46 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,493,390 times
I think your mindset and your reasons for leaving LI are going to have an impact about what you think about Charlotte if you decide to move here. On this board, I see a lot of posts from people from all over who are thinking of relocating here and want things exactly like they have them "back home", only less expensive. Clearly, this is going to set you up for a negative experience if you find things "don't measure up."

I highly recommend that you come down for a visit and see Charlotte for yourself! Do try to spend more than a weekend here if possible. Try driving around during rush hour and see what traffic patterns are like. Stay Uptown and see what the after-work and the weekend nightlife scene is like. On the weekend, head out to the US National Whitewater Center and try your hand at kayaking "on a course." Or, head on out to the mountains and spend the day hiking.

FWIW, DH and I grew up in NJ. We lived in the DC area for 10 years prior to moving to Charlotte. Even with his layoff, we're still very happy in Charlotte. There's plenty for us to do to keep busy.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:25 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,825,036 times
Here's the website for the White Water Center.

US National Whitewater Center
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte