Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2009, 11:50 AM

90 posts, read 177,369 times

Advertisements

My Mom has gone through a nightmare in the past 3 months. Long story short-she has had back pain for years but did not want to do surgery. She tried many things and her last shot was this implant that sends nerve impulses to block pain(a TENS implant) Well they put in a test device to see how she would handle it and ended up introducing staph to the epidural space in her back. She was admitted to the hospital and had spinal surgery to remove the infection and was on 8 weeks of antibiotics at home.

She went off the antibiotics and started to feel bad, had weakness in her legs, etc. She called me in a panic(she currently lives in GA I live in Raleigh) and told me I had to come there. I called her an ambulance and they took her to the hospital. 3 days later she finally got an MRI and they found a massive infection spaning six vertebrae and that she was septic. They did emergency surgery and she seemed to be getting better. She had an MRI yesterday and found a small spot of infection and is getting hopefully her final surgery today.

I need to find her a long term(around 3 mos) rehab in the Charlotte area. I want one where she will be taken good care of and hopefully has a specialty in spinal injury/recovery. Sorry for the long story
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 12:02 PM

22,343 posts, read 29,445,455 times
I don't have info for you but have you contacted an attorney??

Old 08-03-2009, 12:20 PM

Ohhh thats a whole nother story. We will be pursuing legal action against the first hospital she was at along with the pain mgmt Dr who did the implant, ignored her complaints of pain and that "something was wrong." Then prescribed her oral antibiotics

Old 08-03-2009, 12:36 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,556,049 times
I don't have a recommendation, but wanted to say how sorry I am your mother, and you, has had to go thru this. How terrible!

Old 08-03-2009, 12:39 PM

22,343 posts, read 29,445,455 times
I hope you do and you get justice. Good luck

Old 08-03-2009, 01:16 PM

45 posts, read 170,797 times
My father-in-law and my Mom both had serious illnesses that requried them to stay in a long-term rehab facility. Both times the insurance companies dictated where they could go based on agreements with the facilities and space at the facility. Will you be able to decide where she can do her rehab or are you having to pay for it out-of-pocket?

Old 08-03-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnmuhl View Post
My father-in-law and my Mom both had serious illnesses that requried them to stay in a long-term rehab facility. Both times the insurance companies dictated where they could go based on agreements with the facilities and space at the facility. Will you be able to decide where she can do her rehab or are you having to pay for it out-of-pocket?

Luckily we can decide. She is on Medicare with supplemental insurance. The space is a whole other issue-One of the places I called has a 4 year waiting list for long term(Sardis) Thank you everyone else fo ryour kind words

Old 08-03-2009, 01:20 PM

5,458 posts, read 6,055,843 times
She's already near the best Spinal rehab on the east coast, and possibly the country.

Shepherd Center: Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation and Brain Injury

They will allow accommodations for you to stay with her while she's there. We have a relative that spent 6 months there.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
She's already near the best Spinal rehab on the east coast, and possibly the country.

Shepherd Center: Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation and Brain Injury

They will allow accommodations for you to stay with her while she's there. We have a relative that spent 6 months there.
Thank you-she will probably spend a few weeks there but for insurance reasons she has to be in NC after 8-31. Also my sister and i both live in NC-she works full time, has a 2 yr old and is 34 weeks pregnant and I also work FT and have 8 month old twins. She has a house she bought in NC anyway besides for all that-in Concord

Old 08-05-2009, 04:18 PM

98 posts, read 619,147 times
I honestly can highly reccomend any of the facilities in charlotte that are owned and operated by Kindred Healthcare. I worked for them for seven years in their rehab division as a physical therapist assistant and a rehab manager. Their rehab teams are really great. I also suggest you go to the medicare.gov website to inquire about the quality of care of any nursing home you are considering placing her in. Each home has an annual visit from the state to ensure they are operating well with regards to paitent care. The results from the state visits are public record. Feel free to pm if you wish. I hope she gets better soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: