Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2009, 05:38 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,287,860 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Charlotte and need to get some advice on the Callonwood area in Matthews/Stallings. Is this subdivision in a fairly good area and if anyone lives here I would love to hear about your experience there. M/I homes are the builders and being from out of state I'm not sure how good a builder they are.
Cureton I and Cureton II are in Waxhaw and I'd also like some insight into that area. What is the difference between Cureton I and Cureton II? They are both same builders as Callonwood.
Some older area in Matthews I'd like to know are Madison Ridge and Greylock. Thanks to all of you for your help.
Patty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 06:49 AM

339 posts, read 715,492 times
I don't live at any of the ones you mentioned but I live near Callonwood and I know about Cureton. There have been some issues with a sewage station near Cureton and the odors associated with it. I don't know how much of a problem it is where you are looking but I know in the past this was a big deal.

Callonwood is nice and the area is nice. If you have children, check into the school boundaries. There have been some changes in the recent past but being that is an area on the cusp of other school boundaries, I would make sure you'd be ok with any of the other schools should the boundries change.

Another subdivision that is nice is Lake Preserve in Weddington (I think that's what it's called.) There are also several different subdivisions in Weddington. Weddington schools are excellent.

Another subdivision that I really like is Hunter Oaks. I really wanted to move there. Those are not Weddington schools and I think the area is considered Waxhaw but the location is excellent and the community has a lot of great amenities. Good luck with your relocation!

Last edited by megan722; 11-13-2009 at 07:03 AM.. Reason: clarity

Old 11-13-2009, 06:50 AM

One more thing I forgot to include: A friend of mine lives in an M/I home and is very pleased. I've read on some of the threads here similar reports from others.

Old 11-13-2009, 07:34 AM

3,153 posts, read 3,592,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattig View Post
We are relocating to Charlotte and need to get some advice on the Callonwood area in Matthews/Stallings. Is this subdivision in a fairly good area and if anyone lives here I would love to hear about your experience there. M/I homes are the builders and being from out of state I'm not sure how good a builder they are.
Cureton I and Cureton II are in Waxhaw and I'd also like some insight into that area. What is the difference between Cureton I and Cureton II? They are both same builders as Callonwood.
Some older area in Matthews I'd like to know are Madison Ridge and Greylock. Thanks to all of you for your help.
Patty
I live in Cureton (I). Cureton II are more expensive homes and I believe that the developer was foreclosed on, although I am not sure exactly how that works. In my opinion, Cureton I is much more desirable since it is in the main development with swimming pool, clubhouse, etc. Cureton is a great neighborhood with great neighbors. I looked at the M/I homes but ended up buying a Standard Pacific home. M/I built a nice home, but I felt that SP was better built and offered a better product for the money. Definitely worth looking at for sure. If you want a contact there, DM me and I will provide. As far as the odor issue goes, it is not a sewage plant but a water treatment plant and I have not smelled the odor in some time. SP not only builds a nice home but stands behind their product and is highly rated by JD Powers. They also have excellent staff and have helped us a lot even after we closed. They are now offering their own financing with 4.75% 30 year fixed, which is awesome. I wish I could have gotten such a great deal. Good luck to you.

Old 11-13-2009, 07:49 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,287,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdavid002 View Post
I live in Cureton (I). Cureton II are more expensive homes and I believe that the developer was foreclosed on, although I am not sure exactly how that works. In my opinion, Cureton I is much more desirable since it is in the main development with swimming pool, clubhouse, etc. Cureton is a great neighborhood with great neighbors. I looked at the M/I homes but ended up buying a Standard Pacific home. M/I built a nice home, but I felt that SP was better built and offered a better product for the money. Definitely worth looking at for sure. If you want a contact there, DM me and I will provide. As far as the odor issue goes, it is not a sewage plant but a water treatment plant and I have not smelled the odor in some time. SP not only builds a nice home but stands behind their product and is highly rated by JD Powers. They also have excellent staff and have helped us a lot even after we closed. They are now offering their own financing with 4.75% 30 year fixed, which is awesome. I wish I could have gotten such a great deal. Good luck to you.
The idea that there might even be a future odor problem there bothers me. Wastewater treatment facilities can smell horrible as I can attest to where we are now. I did see that Standard Pacific Homes and they looked equally as nice. I just might need to look at another area. After living where I am I don't want to have to deal with another odor problem again. I am really fortunate I sold my house, because the odor can be horrible some days and then non existent other days- all depends on the wind direction. Thanks for your help.

Old 11-13-2009, 09:24 AM

810 posts, read 2,291,791 times
David, I think you may be incorrect by calling it a "water treatment plant". A water treatment plant purfies water for an end use, such as the Catawba River treatment plant. As far as I know, that plant is taking wastewater.

Old 11-13-2009, 09:42 AM

I wasn't trying to say Cureton is not nice, it is. A lot of development is going on near there, too. I just know that in the past there was an odor issue and the county has been trying to implement odor containment infrastructure. I haven't heard complaints about it in awhile. However, when I'm over there to eat at Moe's in that shopping center right next the plant and Cureton, there have been a few times where I literally wanted to vomit the smell was so putrid. And that wasn't long ago.

Old 11-13-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrgm View Post
David, I think you may be incorrect by calling it a "water treatment plant". A water treatment plant purfies water for an end use, such as the Catawba River treatment plant. As far as I know, that plant is taking wastewater.
yes I meant wastewater but not sewage..should not smell like "poop"

Old 11-13-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megan722 View Post
I wasn't trying to say Cureton is not nice, it is. A lot of development is going on near there, too. I just know that in the past there was an odor issue and the county has been trying to implement odor containment infrastructure. I haven't heard complaints about it in awhile. However, when I'm over there to eat at Moe's in that shopping center right next the plant and Cureton, there have been a few times where I literally wanted to vomit the smell was so putrid. And that wasn't long ago.
I have not smelled it in a while..but I am not there all the time either..so you may be right. None of my neighbors have complained about it..so for me it is not an issue....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte