Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 02:00 PM

536 posts, read 1,692,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybourne View Post
I think Shea Hollister have power lines too and their garages are front loading in the price range we're looking at. Weddington Trace Phase II are away from the high "T"s and most have .5 acre plus lots. I agree resale value is a big concern. Orleans seem to be plus $600k if you want a decent lot.
Ahh, you just made the equation tougher by saying "front loading". I was not thinking about hollister (to far out) but was thinking Barrington, but the lots are smaller and front loads.

Also was thinking "The Lake at Forest Preserve" for Orleans, no homes backing you, just preserve.

What is your top price? You want side load and close to an acre, all brick? Where are you working, that you need to be close to 485? Schools matter? Does it have to have that new car smell?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 02:27 PM

158 posts, read 411,365 times
I checked great schools.com and the weddington school trio has a wonderfully high score history, so I definitely want to be districted close to them. Lake Forest is great, but you don't get as much house for the money as Weddington Trace. Also they seem to maybe not be ready before school starts in August, where Ryan can still promise that. I am just intrigued about your opinion on WT, maybe you haven't driven around the new phase yet.

Old 03-05-2008, 02:53 PM

810 posts, read 2,291,475 times
Are you also looking at resale?

Old 03-05-2008, 05:38 PM

have looked at resales, but didn't see anything definitive, also we are 5 hours away so not easy to see homes new to the market

Old 03-05-2008, 06:29 PM

Its sounds as if you are going though what we and many others have gone through, the overwhelming task of the perfect community. The perfect home for us would have four sided brick, 3 car side load, half acre, community ammenities and close to school to avoid re-districting. So the easiest thing to do is look at the new homes. Our top choices (after weeks of evaluation) for new were The Chim. of Marvin, Weddington Trace, Lake Forest Preserve and Hollister. The spec homes were the way to go as far as keeping the price down, just couldn't find the right one. The resales became so much more of an attraction due to price and options. There are so many homes less than 3 years old without all the head aches of dealing with a builder. Plus many have landscape or patios in place and of course all inclusive in price. You will find your dollar going further with resale. Our top choices that met our wishlist were Blackstone, The Estates at Wesley Oaks, Marvin Creek, Canterfield Creek and our now home Champion Forest. My wife and I would pick out a handfull of our favorite homes to go see per visit, until we just commited to spend a week and finally pick one. Go to carolinahome.com you can search homes by communities. If you give us your wishlist of what you would like in a home I would be glad to give some recommendations. Best of luck

Old 03-05-2008, 07:09 PM

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate the detail and experienced advice. We are right in there with your neighborhoods listed and were close to a deicision on Blackstone, but didn't commit. Canterfield looked great and close to 485 and Marvin Creek was out of our price range. We will probably go with Weddington Trace as the new build deals are so appealing. It's a big decision but we're not the only ones relocating - that's comforting, there seems to be 1,000's of us :-)

Old 03-05-2008, 09:34 PM

189 posts, read 580,107 times
I dont know how/why peope consider homes near powerlines? They are such an eyesore for the entire community. I remember when I was looking for a home. As soon as I saw the power lines running through the community it was an easy decision to remove that particular community from my short list.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:28 AM

That's interesting, I would not want to have them visible from my home, but I believe there are power lines at Providence Country Club, which is a very desirable neighborhood in Charlotte

Old 03-06-2008, 06:50 AM

Just be sure your being honest with yourself. Everyday you will see those lines and towers when you drive to and from your house, make sure you can live with that. We liked the layouts and curb appeal, just couldn't see spending that kind of cash and having those towers as part of the landscape of the community. A potential buyer down the road may think the same thing. It does look great once your past the lines.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:58 AM

I am just having a hard time with neighborhoods in that area, they all have a negative in one way or another, maybe you pick the one that bothers you the least. I was very interested in Providence Country Club but the house prices were too high. Only learned last week that they have big power lines there too. That seem to tell me that 5 years down the road, Weddington Tace could be a great place to move to, once all the building is complete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte