Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 05:27 PM

10 posts, read 27,326 times

Advertisements

Hello All:
I am another person on the quest for information in regards to relocating to Charlotte. I am from Jersey but I currently live in Ireland with my husband and son but are moving back state side. We are looking for a great neighborhood with good schools, safety, a loads of family activity. We are not in a huge rush to buy a house until we figure out where we want to be so initially we will be renting a single family home. I am an elementary school teacher with 5 years experience and my husband is a chartered civil engineer with over 10 years experience. (He is irish and eligibilty to work is not an issue as he will soon have his green card.) So a couple of questions...
1. Does anyone know how difficult it may or may not be for my husband to get an engineering position that coincides with his experience? Most jobs posted seem to always ask for a PE (professional engineers) license...is there a way around this??
2. As well any tips on getting a teaching job?
3. Where would be a good place to land initially?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 05:31 PM

257 posts, read 669,226 times
Any chance he is in Nuclear Engineering? I think Charlotte has growth in those jobs. Otherwise, I am not sure. I would check out Duke Energy or Toshiba. I know there are a lot of German companies too but I don't know the names.

I would wait until you get jobs lined up before you decide where to rent/buy.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:36 PM

769 posts, read 2,219,284 times
Most anywhere you go your husband will need to obtain a state license in order to practice. The requirements vary by state since building codes vary as well. Does your husband have any areas of special expertise? Like a previous poster mentioned, this is a big nuclear area. Duke is the biggest power producer/supplier in the area. The Shaw Group has their Power Operations headquartered in Charlotte, and again, they're probably going to go more for someone with electrical, mechanical or nuclear experience.

IF your husband can find someone who will let him work under their license, then he could put off getting a license for a while. Some engineers don't like to do this because it means they are assuming liability for any problems that may arise from the work he does. But I'd strongly recommend getting his own - there will be way more options that way.

This is a link to the site for the American Society of Civil Engineers - there is a lot of information that can help your family in figuring out how to proceed - American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)

Old 07-24-2009, 04:55 AM

Thanks. He does intend on obtaining his license, I was just wondering how it may affect him initially. I will keep doing my research. Thanks

Old 07-24-2009, 06:52 AM

10 posts, read 17,912 times
Welcome,
I'm in the same position, except my job is relocating me and I've been living here since Feb and in Corporate housing. To recommend where to land initially some additional info would be helpful, i.e., do you have kids, are you more into urban or country settings, your budget, what are your interests, etc.

I've been living in Piedmont Row next to South Park mall in corp housing and abolutely love it! Great central area, close to everything, lots to offer, and you don't even have to get in your car to eat or shop as there are 3 nice restaraunts in the square---whoops make that two as Oceanair just closed down. You can also walk to South Park Mall which is an amazing mall! The rent prices are insane for what you get, but this is the perspective of someone coming from Seattle where prices for everything are pretty high.

I've looked at houses in every part of Charlotte and so far I've been most impressed with South Park, Birkdale, Davidson, Ballentyne, and Aero Plantation.

Good luck and have fun in your quest. Take your time as every area has its pluses and minuses.

Old 07-24-2009, 05:18 PM

109 posts, read 229,575 times
I can;t help you regarding your husband's position, but I have some advice for you. I just moved to Charlotte a month ago and I was offered a teaching position soon after arriving. Before I left my former state, I sent my resume packet to as many elementary schools as I could (35 in my first round). I sent the packet to area superintendents and to the principals directly. There's an online application you'll need to fill out (actually 2 -- one for the state of NC and one with CMS if you choose to apply in this district). It's kind of a pain but necessary to do.

When I arrived in Charlotte, I had just gotten my NC teaching license, so I drove to all the schools and hand delivered it to the principals if possible (or secretaries if the principals weren't available). I know someone who did that as well and she interviewed right then and there and got an offer soon after.

I had heard so much about all the teacher layoffs, so I was nervous about moving here without a job. It ended up working out though!

I just wanted to share my experience and wish you good luck.

Old 07-24-2009, 06:58 PM

210 posts, read 507,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeBartlett View Post
Quote:
When I arrived in Charlotte, I had just gotten my NC teaching license, so I drove to all the schools and hand delivered it to the principals if possible (or secretaries if the principals weren't available). I know someone who did that as well and she interviewed right then and there and got an offer soon after.
Well ZoeBartlett, you did your search the best way. Going to hand deliver the certificate put you in a good position, because the person behind the desk saw a real person, not just another paper. You stood out from the crowd, and that is what is needed when it's tough to get jobs. Congratulations. Hope you enjoy your new teaching position!

Old 07-25-2009, 10:27 AM

21 posts, read 59,027 times
Without knowing your budget or where youll be working its difficult to steer you to where to live.

Old 07-26-2009, 04:37 PM

Thanks again for all your responses. I know that there are some major pieces of the puzzle missing but we are just trying to get as much information as possible so that when the time comes we will be able to make the best informed decision we can.
I have heard a few stories such as yours Zoe and have began to look at how i go about transfering my nj license to a nc one. I intend on approaching it all with a very personal touch as that is what I am accustomed to here in Ireland anyway.
My husband is really interested in working for the city/township but we have recently found there is a hiring freeze. Small consultancies is another area of interest; (as he has his own here in Ireland) however unless you are working for such a firm I suppose there is very little help one can offer. So our search continues...
As well we are looking to spend no more than 1500 a month. We would be happy in the country (as long as it was a short distance to the city 45 minutes or under) but we would be ok with living in an urban area as well provided it is a safe area. My son is only 6 months old so we have time before we need to be concerned with school and it will be something we figure out in the future. We are looking for a place where we can get to know the people in the community andbe actively involved in a variety of activites, go to nice dinners, be able to go out for drinks, coffee, parks. (too ideal?? well we are hoping not.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:00 AM

445 posts, read 1,166,240 times
civil engineering jobs are hard to come by right now due to the stalled commercial real estate market. My friends husband has been out of work for 6 months now and his former company has had 3 layoffs since he was cut. He had 10 years experience but had only been with this company for 2, so was one of the first to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte