Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 02:32 PM

2 posts, read 1,659 times

Advertisements

I am a 51 year old divorced woman, living on a disability income, *read pathetic*, about to move from Chicago to... somewhere.

My English Bulldog and I will be traveling with our belongings in a U-Haul and no car. We will need to find a place to settle that has amazing public transportation, is within walking distance of important places, such as a grocery, a bank, maybe a vet, and of course, the ubiquitous coffee shop.

I ask you for your kind consideration, if you have the time, to suggest a safe, maybe quaint, public transportation friendly, PEOPLE friendly, *as an Irish American living in Chicago, I can attest to the lack of kindness of some*, and walkable part of Charlotte, for a single, white, going deaf, woman without a car, to live.... I would be so grateful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 03:42 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,310,785 times
Walkable areas in Charlotte are very few. In fact, I would recommend you look elsewhere. Why are you moving and why Charlotte?
The only neighborhood I can recommend with everything within walking distance is Plaza Midwood.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:59 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,997,295 times
The trendy, walkable neighborhoods in Charlotte are high priced areas. If the OP can be satisfied living in an apartment in the suburbs, and walk to a neaby shopping center, there are more choices.

Charlotte has pretty good bus service for a southern city. You can live several miles from uptown on a major street, and take a bus in if you feel the need to get into town more.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:52 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,105,311 times
As a former Chicagoan (of a similar age group) I would say that you are NOT going to find what you are looking for here. There are few neighbourhoods like what you are familiar with that offer public transportation & walkability in a decent price range. In fact, our public transportation options are very slim in comparison. It is very difficult to live here without a car/driving.

Guessing that you are considering the move due to the weather. Certainly understand that, but be aware that your overall life will be impacted due to a lack of amenities that you will find here.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:52 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,532,907 times
I am agreeing with others. This is a city that would be very difficult to manage without a car. There is a big thread on this somewhere, and it was determined that this is NOT a great area for public transportation.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:47 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,997,295 times
True, not great .... but it can be tolerable if saving money on car maintenance is paramount.

The key to not going stir-crazy is to be near one of the major bus lines that runs regularly, or LYNX, and be within about 3 miles of uptown so that you can quickly connect to other busses. It also helps to not be the personality type who has to jump up and go do something at a moment's notice.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:43 PM

162 posts, read 218,547 times
With those requirements, you'll save money by living in Chicago [not the suburbs] and not having a car. I live in Bucktown by myself and pay 1350 a month. I also have a garage. You will pay much more than that to be in a walkable to downtown area in CLT. The general rule of thumb about living near CLT's downtown is that it has 3 qualties: cheap, fun, safe. You can only pick 2 of those at any given place.

I'm not sure what you mean by lack of kindness in Chicago. I've talked with many East coaster-en-ers that's moved to Chicago. Its a different place.. people are nice in Chicago. They try to be *******s, but its kinda like meh. If you expect to have nice people in CLT, you're going to have a bad time.

Also, something weird.... traffic moves [abet slow] in Chicago, which is amazing when it just stops in CLT.

EDIT: Differences on buses.... The people who ride the CTA buses aren't the same as the ones that ride it in CLT. Its not something I'd want to ride regularly in CLT. In Chicago, its away to avoid going Blue->Red, etc just to go somewhere north.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:41 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,618,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monksy View Post
EDIT: Differences on buses.... The people who ride the CTA buses aren't the same as the ones that ride it in CLT. Its not something I'd want to ride regularly in CLT. In Chicago, its away to avoid going Blue->Red, etc just to go somewhere north.
Umm, what? I just moved to CLT and I've been taking the bus to and from work. I see other professional people taking the bus.

Why are you making such a negative, blanket statement? I'm finding that CLT is full of snobs who are afraid of possibly rubbing shoulders on public transportation with people who they consider less than themselves.

Taking public transportation makes sense when you consider gas cost, wear and tear on your vehicle, traffic, etc.

OP, I think you may be able to find what you want. You'll just have to do some research to find a nice neighborhood that's on a bus line.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:24 AM

162 posts, read 218,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Umm, what? I just moved to CLT and I've been taking the bus to and from work. I see other professional people taking the bus.

Why are you making such a negative, blanket statement? I'm finding that CLT is full of snobs who are afraid of possibly rubbing shoulders on public transportation with people who they consider less than themselves.

Taking public transportation makes sense when you consider gas cost, wear and tear on your vehicle, traffic, etc.

OP, I think you may be able to find what you want. You'll just have to do some research to find a nice neighborhood that's on a bus line.
Which bus line are you on? I've lived along the Monroe and N Tryon Lines. N Tryon wasn't very nice. The Monroe one wasn't so great. Also, it depends on what time you go as well. I never go on any of the express lines either. [Which that is what I suspect you were using]. The CTA has its share of odd people but it wasn't nearly as bad as the ones in CLT.

Old 06-29-2013, 02:25 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,105,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monksy View Post
Which bus line are you on? I've lived along the Monroe and N Tryon Lines. N Tryon wasn't very nice. The Monroe one wasn't so great. Also, it depends on what time you go as well. I never go on any of the express lines either. [Which that is what I suspect you were using]. The CTA has its share of odd people but it wasn't nearly as bad as the ones in CLT.
Agree. In Chicago, it is not an oddity to not have a car. Here, it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte