Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 11:14 PM

6 posts, read 19,596 times

Advertisements

hey all,

i am looking to buy in the following areas and am trying to think ahead to resale within 3-5 years (i want an area that will appreciate nicely, has good schools, etc) and have narrowed it down to the following homes on these streets - (1) being in highland creek, (2-4) being off prosperity church, and (5) being on sam furr.

1. Bentgrass Run - highland creek
2. Panthersville Drive - "devonshire" subdivision off prosperity church
3. Old Timber Road - "rolling oaks" subdivision off p/c
4. Fairlea Drive - "brynmoor" subdivision off p/c
5. "Cabarrus Crossing" subdivision

i would love to have some input on buying in HC vs Prosp Church vs Cabarrus Crossing ~ especially if anyone lives in these locations!!)...

location wise, all will work for me. i do not have a family yet but i want my house to be resellable to families in 3-5 years which is why i am keeping an eye out for schools. all of these locations are also within my price range of under 160k. and - this is my 1st home.

whew, that was a mouthful, but i hope to get some responses back

thanks in advance

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 01:21 AM

ps - also "stoney creek" subdivision too...anyone?

Old 07-21-2009, 09:56 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axia002 View Post
ps - also "stoney creek" subdivision too...anyone?
I'd go with Highland Creek. That neighborhood has historically been very stable and continued to see appreciation when many others in that price range haven't.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:19 PM

Thanks Loves - but would you still say Highland creek even when considering Cabarrus Crossing's location (Huntersville), taxes (Cabarrus), and schools (Cabarrus)?

Or maybe I'm kind of confusing general appreciation vs resale - i.e., when ppl are looking for homes they tend to want those kinds of things...

Thanks for the input!

ANyone else? c'mon I know there are more Huntersvillians and Highland Creekers who want to weigh in on this...lol

Old 07-21-2009, 05:20 PM

PS - this info is especially helpful since I'm planning to put in an offer a.s.a.p....

Old 07-21-2009, 06:32 PM

518 posts, read 2,060,526 times
I live in Rolling Oaks, we moved in here Oct 98. PC was only 2 lanes then. The growth and amount of increase in traffic is unbelievable. Well....believeable I guess. The sidewalks are used 100%, everyday I drive on PC there are people walking. Whether it's the grocery store, drug store, doctors, movie store, church, drive a few balls, they are walking to it and of course more driving and fast. CMPD does patrol PC for speeders, so they are out, but man the cars fly on this road. Making a Uturn can be difficult, and I've probably pissed off a few drivers....oh well, slow down.

Anyway, we really like the area, we wanted a yard (we have the largest lot in RO), private backyard backs to woods (we have). We really didn't care about an HOA (Rolling Oaks has a somewhat "active" HOA, there are positions that have been established and filled). It's been a great 11 years here, most of the neighborhoods along PC are older, there are positive and negatives to that, one of the positives we have enjoyed are the large trees and shrubs. There are very few rentals in RO and we love the conveniences within 2 miles, and easy access to the malls, highways. The schools assigned are good (except the middle school~Alexander). Happy hunting!!!

Old 07-21-2009, 06:55 PM

Thanks aqua!! I actually *just* looked at 2 homes in Rolling oaks today - one short sale and one small rancher. I agree the neighborhood is beautiful and the lots are huge. And YES people fly by. PS i am wondering what you mean by "active" hoa? I would PM you but I'm new and not sure how to do that lol. Anyways thanks so much for ur input.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:40 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Thanks Loves - but would you still say Highland creek even when considering Cabarrus Crossing's location (Huntersville), taxes (Cabarrus), and schools (Cabarrus)?

Or maybe I'm kind of confusing general appreciation vs resale - i.e., when ppl are looking for homes they tend to want those kinds of things...

Thanks for the input!

ANyone else? c'mon I know there are more Huntersvillians and Highland Creekers who want to weigh in on this...lol
You do realize half of Highland Creek is in Cabarrus County? But even on the Mecklenburg side the schools are good. If I had a high schooler I'd actually want Mallard Creek High School (where the Mecklenburg side of HC goes) than the other high schools up in Huntersville.

All that being said, it's really a toss up because these areas are all nice - go with the one that feels like "home" to you

Old 07-22-2009, 07:28 AM

Loves ~ good advice ~ but I think that's the problem, I tend to "overanalyze" things, and hard to get a feeling of "home" yet. That said, I think I have a few good options. One factor I'm trying to sort of decide on is being closer to work vs being closer to my cousins. And I think I want to be closer to my family

Also, the HOA fees of HC kind of turn me off...the houses in Meadowmont (within my price range) cost $100 per month I'm not really a swimmer, I do love walking around and meeting people though, but I don't have a family, and I never see young single ppl in HC - mainly families.

Also, since I am single, I also am thinking between buying a house that is *clearly* a family house vs a smaller starter home. I would offer the same amount on both but when resale time comes probably more value out of the bigger family-ish house.

Thanks for ur input

Old 07-24-2009, 07:57 AM

518 posts, read 2,060,526 times
Quote:
Thanks aqua!! I actually *just* looked at 2 homes in Rolling oaks today - one short sale and one small rancher. I agree the neighborhood is beautiful and the lots are huge. And YES people fly by. PS i am wondering what you mean by "active" hoa? I would PM you but I'm new and not sure how to do that lol. Anyways thanks so much for ur input.
The HOA is there, but not. If you want to paint your shutters, you don't need to go have it approved by the HOA. Although there are bylaws that you have to go by. You can't paint your shutters a bright orange, but if they are black and you want them to be green (not bright green..., no problem, you don't have to schedule a meeting, then review your plan with the HOA, you can just paint them. We don't have people driving around "measuring" your grass to make sure it's not too long. 99% of the people in this neighborhood take really good care of the homes. There has not been much involvement in trying to form an HOA, the meetings are not well attended, they have trouble collecting any "dues", which are not mandatory, but voluntary at this point, the center island when you come in, is done by volunteers who donate time and plants to clean it up. It is an older neighborhood, so some have done upgrades, others have not. There are 3 homes in my block for sale, two (w/Allen Tate) have been taken care of, the other not so much, but if you are handy it would be a great investment, it's a good price for the amount of space. The other two, I think have been kept up, with some upgrades, one is the one level ranch, the other a two story larger home.

I 485 will be coming through near the Bi-Lo shopping center/DeArmon Rd intersection. Being inside of a beltway will always raise your home value (we came from Northern Virginia) even just outside of it will also. Good Luck in your search!!
~PS. Mallard Creek HS is our home school, I had one that just graduated (first graduating class) and another that will start his junior year there. There will be a new principal this year, as Ms. Rea took a job with the Northeast Learning Center...or something like that). We have been pleased with the school especially administration, staff, teachers have all been great. The Elementary school for RO is the new Croft Community (not Mallard Creek Elem), not idea on that school. As I said wasnt' too pleased with Alexander, but it may be better now that it won't be as crowded since the new Ridge Rd MS will be opening this fall.

Last edited by aquastone; 07-24-2009 at 08:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte