Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 07:25 PM

7 posts, read 37,768 times

Advertisements

As the title states... I'm moving from Rochester, NY to live it up in a larger city with some nicer weather. I don't think I can take another Rochester winter. I'd like to keep driving to a minimum and commute using my bike for most of the year. I'll most likely be attending CPCC and my financial situation is stable enough where I will not need a job while attending school. I have a few questions:

Is Charlotte a good choice for myself as far as the social/dating and night life scene is concerned?

How's the crowd at CPCC? Younger, older?

What are some good, non-ghetto, neighborhoods that would be in the city and close to CPCC and maybe the NoDa? Looking for 2BR under $850 (total w/util)

If Charlotte isn't the best fit, where else should I look? Again, I'm looking for much warmer weather than where I am now (Rochester, NY).

Thanks a lot!
Nick

Last edited by dotsync; 07-11-2009 at 07:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 07:56 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,371,755 times
You're going to relocate several hundred miles just to attend a Community College?

There are several CPCC campuses in the area, ranging from Southwest Charlotte to up near the UNCC campus.

I think you'll be hard pressed to find 2 bedroom apartments near uptown for less than $850 all in.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:33 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
You're going to relocate several hundred miles just to attend a Community College?

There are several CPCC campuses in the area, ranging from Southwest Charlotte to up near the UNCC campus.

I think you'll be hard pressed to find 2 bedroom apartments near uptown for less than $850 all in.
CP has consistently rated as one of the best community colleges in the nation. Haven't looked at ratings in the last couple of years but from what I have read, the college does draw people from outside the state.

Students who attend CP cover a wide demographic, but the majority are gonna be in their 20s. That may vary from campus to campus.

As Hooligan said - $850 for rent may be difficult . . . hopefully, some of our posters who have family attending CP or who are knowledgeable about apartments close to campus will weigh in w/ more info.

You may have to do more driving than you are thinking about right now. I don't feel CLT is very bike friendly but of course - it all depends what time of day, weather, what your route would be, etc.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:35 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotsync View Post
As the title states... I'm moving from Rochester, NY to live it up in a larger city with some nicer weather. I don't think I can take another Rochester winter. I'd like to keep driving to a minimum and commute using my bike for most of the year. I'll most likely be attending CPCC and my financial situation is stable enough where I will not need a job while attending school. I have a few questions:

Is Charlotte a good choice for myself as far as the social/dating and night life scene is concerned?

How's the crowd at CPCC? Younger, older?

What are some good, non-ghetto, neighborhoods that would be in the city and close to CPCC and maybe the NoDa? Looking for 2BR under $850 (total w/util)

If Charlotte isn't the best fit, where else should I look? Again, I'm looking for much warmer weather than where I am now (Rochester, NY).

Thanks a lot!
Nick
Nick, I believe you'd like it here. They don't call 'em Carolina Blue Skies for nothing - the weather here is really nice. CPCC serves a wide variety of people though - so it's not all teens and 20 somethings. But I think you'd still meet lots of people. Look to rent a place in Elizabeth or Plaza Midwood. Finding a two bedroom under $1000 can be tough but not completely impossible if you'll live in a bit more of a dive. If you have to stay under $850 you'll need to consider a one bedroom place - those can be had in the $550 to $800 range. Chantilly, which is the neighborhood between Elizabeth and Plaza Midwood doesn't have any apartments, but you could check there for renting one side of a duplex. If you live in any one of these 3 neighborhoods you could bike easily to CPCC and anything else you would need. Personally, I'd pass on NoDa - in your price range you'd be in more questionable sections of it and unsafe riding your bike after dark alone.

Hope this helps

Old 07-11-2009, 11:04 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,136,328 times
What is NoDa? Never heard of that place....???????????

Old 07-11-2009, 11:12 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Guess you aren't a Nativechief of Charlotte

North Davidson, the trendy little arts district being regentrified and revitalized in North Charlotte.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:56 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,032,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
roughly 36th st to Plaza Rd.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:21 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,371,755 times
I would say the boundary roads are N. Tryon, Matheson, The Plaza and E. Sugar Creek Rd. The "center" of the neighborhood is 36th St/North Davidson intersection.

http://www.noda.org/

Old 07-12-2009, 10:52 AM

7 posts, read 37,768 times
Quote:

It's more-so a move to change everything, not just for the college. Weather, people, nightlife.

I was looking on craigslist in the area for places to live and found a few examples:

Apt in Desirable Neighborhood (http://charlotte.craigslist.org/apa/1263197597.html - broken link)
Duplex Unit - 2 miles from Uptown (http://charlotte.craigslist.org/apa/1259605801.html - broken link)
Two Bed Charlotte Apartment Home in a Nice Setting (http://charlotte.craigslist.org/apa/1261132474.html - broken link)

It looks like 2br places start around $600, and they look decent... but without seeing them and not being from the area, I could be wrong. I don't have to live in nicest and safest area, but not getting shot is always a plus, hah. Having mixed neighborhood including people around my age would be fine. Being able to walk to a few bars would also be a plus.

Quote:
You may have to do more driving than you are thinking about right now. I don't feel CLT is very bike friendly but of course - it all depends what time of day, weather, what your route would be, etc.
I currently road bike and don't mind hitting up the sidewalk now and then. Rochester has NO bike lanes but I have no problem mixing in with the cars most of the time. I'm assuming the traffic is much more dense in CLT due to it being about 3x the size. Do they have bike lanes at all?

Quote:
Nick, I believe you'd like it here.
Glad to hear it . How's the scene for young people though? Any hip festivals that go down throughout the year?

Last edited by dotsync; 07-12-2009 at 11:25 AM..

Old 07-12-2009, 10:53 AM

154 posts, read 328,459 times
can i ask how bad is Noda? when we were down we drove through and it look a little iffy.I dont know if i would want to set up shop there let alone get out of the car and walk around. We have areas likethat here in PHilly one in particular Northern Liberties similar thing and I would never walk around or just visit on a whim...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte