Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 11:25 AM

769 posts, read 2,221,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by verrocchio View Post
can i ask how bad is Noda? when we were down we drove through and it look a little iffy.I dont know if i would want to set up shop there let alone get out of the car and walk around. We have areas likethat here in PHilly one in particular Northern Liberties similar thing and I would never walk around or just visit on a whim...
We were just up in NoDa last weekend to hear a friends band play. As two women, we did not feel unsafe at all in the main part of NoDa. Getting there, we went through a couple of neighborhoods that I wouldn't want to get out of my car in, though. There are probably other threads that cover this in more detail, but all of NoDa was sketchy just a few years ago. There has been, and continues to be a concerted effort to regentrify the area, which is slowly spreading. We saw some brand new condos that I would live in were I a city person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 11:26 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,764,332 times
[quote=dotsync;9725377]It's more-so a move to change everything, not just for the college. Weather, people, nightlife.

I was looking on craigslist in the area for places to live and found a few examples:

Apt in Desirable Neighborhood (http://charlotte.craigslist.org/apa/1263197597.html - broken link)
Duplex Unit - 2 miles from Uptown (http://charlotte.craigslist.org/apa/1259605801.html - broken link)
Two Bed Charlotte Apartment Home in a Nice Setting (http://charlotte.craigslist.org/apa/1261132474.html - broken link)

It looks like 2br places start around $600, and they look decent... but without seeing them and not being from the area, I could be wrong.

Nick, looks can be deceiving. That affordable duplex is in the Belmont neighborhood - the 'hood - one of the highest crime rated spots in the city.

Like I said, you can sometimes find 2 bedrooms in your range they'll just be a bit more rundown, some are even dives. But hey, a dive in Plaza Midwood or Chantilly would at least be more desirable than something that looks great but is in the 'hood

You want to choose a place based on location, not looks.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:33 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,764,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemaew View Post
We were just up in NoDa last weekend to hear a friends band play. As two women, we did not feel unsafe at all in the main part of NoDa. Getting there, we went through a couple of neighborhoods that I wouldn't want to get out of my car in, though. There are probably other threads that cover this in more detail, but all of NoDa was sketchy just a few years ago. There has been, and continues to be a concerted effort to regentrify the area, which is slowly spreading. We saw some brand new condos that I would live in were I a city person.
Neighborhood Theater draws the crowds for concerts for sure. And yes, when attending a show or going to a gallary crawl right on the main drag you are relatively safe. But, the whole neighborhood is only about 30% regentrified and there are many parts of it you wouldn't want to be walking in by yourself at night. I only recommend it as a place to live for the most committed of "urban pioneers".

Once the light rail goes thru in the next decade it'll be a much safer place than it is now. If I were a long term investor I'd buy there for sure. But as a renter right now, I'd pass. I do however highly recommend the shows at the Neighborhood Theater.

Neighborhood Theatre
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte