Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 09:50 AM

5 posts, read 7,488 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

As the title says, I'm a 35 year old woman who currently lives in Boston. I've wanted to move to Charlotte for the last 6, 7 years but it never quite panned out. Now I'm finding myself in desperate need of a change and want to revisit this.

Any suggestions on the best resources to find a job, places to live, etc? My work background is in HR. I'm not a clubber or anything, but do like to occasionally hang out a bar/lounge. Also, I'm not totally opposed to getting a car, somewhere public transportation friendly would be nice (I don't drive in Boston).

Please let me know if there's any other info I can provide that would be helpful. T.I.A!

Last edited by mzlady78; 02-19-2013 at 10:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 10:06 AM

1,329 posts, read 1,106,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzlady78 View Post
Hello all,
... I'm not totally opposed to getting a car, somewhere public transportation friendly would be nice (I don't drive in Boston).

Please let me know if there's any other info I can provide that would be helpful. T.I.A!
I like both:
+ Your reluctance to get a car (based on the way you put it), and
+ Your flexibility

My own stringer reluctance, is based on the notion that if I can find the right place to live, then I will get the real estate right too.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geologic View Post
I like both:
+ Your reluctance to get a car (based on the way you put it), and
+ Your flexibility

My own stringer reluctance, is based on the notion that if I can find the right place to live, then I will get the real estate right too.
Yes, I actually read your thread asking about the car thing, but I wanted to feedback based on my particular situation.

I know that it's not going to be the same as Boston (even Boston public transportation leaves a lot to be desired) but a car is an expense I'd like to do without if possible. Or at the very least, keep the amount of time I spend driving to a minimum.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:20 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,028,940 times
Are you looking at buying or renting?

With either what is your budget?

Also depending on where you get a job could greatly effect where you live.

When I first moved to Charlotte I rented an apartment close to a bus route.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
Are you looking at buying or renting?

With either what is your budget?

Also depending on where you get a job could greatly effect where you live.

When I first moved to Charlotte I rented an apartment close to a bus route.
I think I'll start off renting, in the event that I'm not totally in love with where I end up when I first get there.

I would say $900 or less. I know it's kind of hard to say where to live because I don't have a job as a starting point, but really any input would be great. Even if someone knows a good place to begin my job search, that would be helpful.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:40 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,028,940 times
Curious if you were looking for a job in Boston where would you look?

Found that places too look for jobs seem to be fairly consistent all over.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:00 AM

328 posts, read 616,720 times
I made the opposite move for school (CLT to Boston) and have missed CLT pretty hard ever since. I really would get a car - you will be severely limited without access to your own transportation, although you can manage for a while using the blue line and bus if you live in very specific parts of uptown. Charlotte, for better or worse, is sprawling, so you have to be prepared to drive out to get to certain areas. Plus, there's a ton to explore in this region of NC and you'll want that option.

All of this is dependent on income, but the most typically "desirable" places to live are often cited as Dilworth, Elizabeth, parts of uptown, South End, Fourth Ward - those are the closest to uptown. There's great places to live in both south (and far south) and north (far north) CLT, but sometime you can feel a little removed from the action there. I've lived in Concord (a suburb), Mallard Creek (a northern part of CLT near the university) and SW CLT (a lot of people think this area is dicier, but I found it a nice place to live and very convenient, too).

Also, you'll find it easy to land a place for less than 900. My apartment in Mallard Creek was in the 600-700 range, and that was high to me. I have friends who lived in Elizabeth (really nice and convinent) for around 600. You won't have a problem with that price range.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:40 PM

373 posts, read 779,232 times
Moving + without job + without car = Bad Idea.
Good results do not come from bad ideas.
I do wish you luck.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesecracker View Post
Moving + without job + without car = Bad Idea.
Good results do not come from bad ideas.
I do wish you luck.
Umm, I don't recall saying I would move without a job, and I'm pretty sure I said I wasn't completely opposed to a car.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoast127 View Post
I made the opposite move for school (CLT to Boston) and have missed CLT pretty hard ever since. I really would get a car - you will be severely limited without access to your own transportation, although you can manage for a while using the blue line and bus if you live in very specific parts of uptown. Charlotte, for better or worse, is sprawling, so you have to be prepared to drive out to get to certain areas. Plus, there's a ton to explore in this region of NC and you'll want that option.

All of this is dependent on income, but the most typically "desirable" places to live are often cited as Dilworth, Elizabeth, parts of uptown, South End, Fourth Ward - those are the closest to uptown. There's great places to live in both south (and far south) and north (far north) CLT, but sometime you can feel a little removed from the action there. I've lived in Concord (a suburb), Mallard Creek (a northern part of CLT near the university) and SW CLT (a lot of people think this area is dicier, but I found it a nice place to live and very convenient, too).

Also, you'll find it easy to land a place for less than 900. My apartment in Mallard Creek was in the 600-700 range, and that was high to me. I have friends who lived in Elizabeth (really nice and convinent) for around 600. You won't have a problem with that price range.
Thank you for your input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte