Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 09:59 AM

45 posts, read 107,404 times

Advertisements

Happy July 4th!

I am torn between moving to Charlotte or Charleston, SC. I am a high school teacher, 30 years old, single, very active, love meeting new people, very into dogs, reading, good music....Also interested in meeting other strong, independent well-educated women (and my hubby!!). I lived in Lincoln Park in Chicago for years in my mid-twenties and am looking for a neighborhood like that where I can walk to coffee shops, etc.

Do you think Charlotte might be a good fit?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 10:20 AM

18 posts, read 31,619 times
Hello I am a teacher also and teach physics and mathematics at high level. Charlotte South area is beautiful with neat homes, clean surroundings and the famous South Park only of its kind in the country though there are two others in Philly and elsewhere. This is a special kind of mall not the run of the mill. The schools in South side - are good as the neighborhood consists of mostly upper middle class. The average rent is $900 for a two bedrooms. I have been here since 2006 and know the school district very well. One of our children graduated high school this year and going to Princeton University. If I can be of any assistance please write us. Educationist@bellsouth.net or post

Old 07-04-2009, 01:47 PM

257 posts, read 670,003 times
If you want something like Lincoln Park then I would go with Charleston for the fact it has a lot street level retail, restaurants, coffee shops without having to drive and park. This being due to the fact that it is an older city and has a good crop of historic/old buildings. In Charlotte, most places still have adjacent parking lots which breaks up the urban feel.

Charlotte is growing much faster and trying to create this atmosphere but it is hard to do without the existing infrastructure. I do think Charlotte would have more people similar to you for the fact it has been attracting young professionals at a much higher rate.

Honestly, you won't find anything like Lincoln Park in the South except for maybe New Orleans. Atlanta wouldn't even have it. If you do choose Charlotte, look at Plaza Midwood, Elizabeth, NoDa, Dilworth or Southend. That's probably as close as you will get.

Old 07-04-2009, 06:25 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,714,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lablovr View Post
Happy July 4th!

I am looking for a neighborhood like that where I can walk to coffee shops, etc.

Thanks!
The "walking" part is the prob. in Clt. Really doesn't exist except for small pockets that I would not consider walking to the coffee shop, theatre, library etc.

Old 07-05-2009, 01:21 AM

332 posts, read 1,431,493 times
Hi, I'm also a 30 yo single active gal and I'm choosing Charlotte for several reasons.... but I'm not sure if they would help you in any way. I grew up about 3 hours outside of Charlotte, went to undergrad just over 90 minutes outside of Charlotte, and just feel comfortable there because it's familiar. Jobs aren't great... ok, jobs suck compared to most places. Also, it's a bit spread out, in my opinion. Still, I like it better than Raleigh/Durham and my only hesitation is that an uncle I seriously don't like lives there... and I'm afraid of weird family interactions. Ha.

As for comparisons...I don't know about living in Charls as a single chick on a teacher's salary. Most of my friends in SC are teachers (I went to undergrad in SC and was an elem edu major) and their schools are making cuts and salary isn't great. I'd think it would definitely be less than what you are pulling in Chicago. I would also imagine you'd need a roommate to live in Charls proper on that salary if that's your only income.

I have a few friends down there now who love it and many more who travel there several times a year. The ones who live there are either coupled, married, or have roommates to offset housing costs. It will have more of the walking feeling you mentioned.

If you are willing to expand your search, Wilmington, NC might fit your needs. Only the downtown area... but it's nice... smaller, on the water, lots of events popping up over the last few years and much more affordable than Charls. I know SEVERAL people who only moved to Wilm because they could not yet afford to live in Charls. Including one whose entire family has been down there since his childhood... he's just chilling in Wilm for a bit until his cash allows for a home purchase further down the coast.

The county is having similar budget issues with hiring, however, so I'm not sure about jobs. Living downtown, however, you'd easily be able to commute to the next county over if they were to have openings available in your area.

Good luck!

Old 07-05-2009, 07:36 AM

45 posts, read 107,404 times
Thank you to everyone!!

Old 07-05-2009, 07:42 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,048,794 times
also, nobody mentioned that our states (both NC & SC) are having serious budget troubles and teachers are being laid off at a rapid rate...so, few job openings. You really might want to check out where you could get a job before seriously considering where to move.

But, the other posters are right. There really is not anywhere that would compare to Lincoln Park. You have to have a car here and you will drive long distances to get anywhere. Kind of a fact of living here.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:02 AM

171 posts, read 357,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lablovr View Post
Happy July 4th!

I am torn between moving to Charlotte or Charleston, SC. I am a high school teacher, 30 years old, single, very active, love meeting new people, very into dogs, reading, good music....Also interested in meeting other strong, independent well-educated women (and my hubby!!). I lived in Lincoln Park in Chicago for years in my mid-twenties and am looking for a neighborhood like that where I can walk to coffee shops, etc.

Thanks!
Need more information.

Could you post some pictures?

- Diggums

Old 07-05-2009, 10:19 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,903,517 times
Obviously, there are those on this message board that know nothing about the city in which they live. Charlotte has some great walking areas, ie., Myers Park, Southpark, Elizabeth, Dilworth, Freedom Park, 4th Ward/uptown, practically all surrounding towns, and numerous state parks. Despite those that say they have to drive great distances for ammenities, I do not live out. I am able to walk to retail shops, doctors offices, at least a dozen bars and restaurants, grocery stores, and anything else I need. If Lincoln Park is the decisive factor, you might want tostay where you are? I am a walker. I have no problem finding places to walk even when I am tired of my neighborhood. Those on this thread that don't walk, don't know.

P.S. I am sure your are smart enough to realize that the U.S. is having economic problems without having to be told. Good luck on your selection. You will find that Charleston is a wonderful city, but Charlotte is much bigger and offers much more opportunity.

Old 07-05-2009, 02:22 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,784,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
The "walking" part is the prob. in Clt. Really doesn't exist except for small pockets that I would not consider walking to the coffee shop, theatre, library etc.
John, you know I love ya, but I gotta disagree with you here. There are MANY walkable neighborhoods in Charlotte. Heck, from my house I walk to Walmart, Caribou Coffee, the movie theater, the drug store, grocery stores (2), restaurants, my bank - everything but the library - which is just a 2 mile bike ride for me There are lots of nice neighborhoods like mine all over Charlotte!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte