Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2009, 05:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,162 times

Advertisements

Basically im moving from Nc because I can not stay in this city anymore. I have been to nc numerous times and I must move there.

My questions are:

I need to find a job
Great place/college student range to live
Colleges
Nightlife
I basically need as much feedback as possible to get this process moving. I plan on moving Sept of Oct of this year. I have mostly customer service experince with the jobs being as though I am still In college. If you could please help and not be negative. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 07:11 PM

4 posts, read 10,921 times
See my answers in red below, hopefully that will help to get you started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mz_maree View Post
Basically im moving from Nc because I can not stay in this city anymore. I have been to nc numerous times and I must move there.

My questions are:

I need to find a job - not sure how much I can help you there, but it seems lately there have been some announcements about new jobs coming to the area. I'm sure it is tough to find a job anywhere now, but there are still jobs out there!

Great place/college student range to live - Anywhere near UNCC you'll find most of the college students. I live Uptown and there are a good many mid 20s aged people in my building. If you can find a good job that would allow you to afford it, living Uptown is great and convenient.

Colleges - UNCC (University of North Carolina Charlotte), Queens University, Johnson and Wales, Johnson C. Smith University, CPCC (Central Piedmont Community College), and some others. I guess it really all depends on what you're degree is in.

Nightlife - For a college aged person, Uptown generally has plenty going on. The EpiCentre is always fun and has a good selection of different bars/nightlife/restaurants. There are also good bars near UNCC, go figure! Also near UNCC is the Verizon Wireless Amphitheater which is the outdoor concert pavilion.

I basically need as much feedback as possible to get this process moving. I plan on moving Sept of Oct of this year. I have mostly customer service experince with the jobs being as though I am still In college. If you could please help and not be negative. thanks

Old 05-15-2009, 06:26 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,515,554 times
Does the city of Charlotte recruit in OH?

I swear I have met probably 20 people in my complex that moved down from OH within the last 12-18 months.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:37 AM

382 posts, read 1,888,140 times
Do you already know people that live here? I would start out by sending everyone you know here your resume and start the networking process early. You HAVE to get a job first. Or come stay a couple weekends and at least secure a part-time job for when you move here full-time.
As far as cool places for young people to live ... uptown is where all the action is. But it's not cheap. You'd be best off to find a roommate.
I tell all Ohio people this (because I'm from Ohio too) ... contact the your college alumni association and find out if they have a chapter here. OSU, UD, Ohio U, Miami, I'm sure UC has one too ... I know they are all very active w/ alumni networking in Charlotte.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:03 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpocketbooks View Post
Do you already know people that live here? I would start out by sending everyone you know here your resume and start the networking process early. You HAVE to get a job first. Or come stay a couple weekends and at least secure a part-time job for when you move here full-time.
As far as cool places for young people to live ... uptown is where all the action is. But it's not cheap. You'd be best off to find a roommate.
I tell all Ohio people this (because I'm from Ohio too) ... contact the your college alumni association and find out if they have a chapter here. OSU, UD, Ohio U, Miami, I'm sure UC has one too ... I know they are all very active w/ alumni networking in Charlotte.
PINK: that is excellent advise. I don't know that anyone could give better advice to someone who is thinking about moving here right out of college.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:28 AM

415 posts, read 1,150,773 times
By the way, welcome to the REAL Queen City.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:31 PM

186 posts, read 604,372 times
My wife and I moved from Cincy 3 years ago and can say it is the best thing we did.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:15 PM

63 posts, read 230,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
Does the city of Charlotte recruit in OH?

I swear I have met probably 20 people in my complex that moved down from OH within the last 12-18 months.

that's because Ohio has 8 months of winter, 3 months of summer, 2 weeks of spring and 2 weeks of fall! In other words, it's terrible.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:52 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,039,953 times
Sorry to burst your bubble, but, jobs are going to be REAL hard to find. My son has 10 yrs of cust service experience with a major automobile lender and has had one job interview since Jan....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: