Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 04:25 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,105,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by barndog View Post
damn, ani! that may be the best post you've ever written, and i can't rep you! please, somebody, do it for me!
I agree completely!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 04:41 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,813,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
I agree completely!!!
Well, dang . . . I just hacked it out w/o too much thought. (Thanks, CHI and Barndog!)

I really do hope people realize why we say DO NOT COME HERE WITHOUT A JOB. It is not some sort of dislike for newcomers . . . and it really is an individual matter. A person should know if he/she has some really viable talent/skills that will be in demand . . . plus - big difference in a new grad coming here w/o a job as opposed to a family arriving w/ both parents needing jobs.

Each situation really is different . . . including a consideration for where a person is living now. I can see why an engineer, for example, who has been laid off from a job in Detroit (auto industry) would feel there is no future in Detroit - and want to head someplace else to start over.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:39 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,798,628 times
Ani, I know what you're saying and I totally agree....

The mindset for years is that you could get a job no problem if you came from somewhere else....let me tell ya, that is not the case.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:57 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,813,317 times
Unfortunately, so many of the people who live here are having to go to great lengths to replace jobs that are simply lost.

Some have gone back to school for re-training (or to finish a BS) . . . others are getting new certifications . . . some are having to relocate . . . others are trying to start a home based business.

Various industry sectors are taking a hit that were NOT expected to falter. I honestly believe we will see hiring start back in many industries later on in 09. But until then, it is a tough situation for so many here who are not able to find that elusive right match on a position.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:10 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,733,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnaomi View Post
honestly, i don't think people should "count" on a job anywhere during these times. Sure, there are jobs out there but it's going to take more credentials, luck, and networking than ever before.

interactive timeline: Unemployment rate - economy in turmoil - msnbc.com
this.

+10
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte