Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 09:14 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,714,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
That unemployment rate is useful only for the people living here. It ain't like two years ago where every third post was someone coming from New Jersey, New York, Florida, or wherever looking to move here. People are pretty much just staying put for the moment. Beyond that Charlotte is no different than any city in New Jersey, Illinois, Califnornia, etc., in regards to this economy.

If this is to be a sticky, it should be a factual title such as "Charlotte and Surrounding Areas Unemployment Rates". Injecting an opinion isn't far off from the TOS that states that you can't speak badly about a business because it can't defend itself. There are companies, granted not many, but there are companies that could in turn say, "Yeah, but WE'RE hiring!!" making the initial title somewhat untrue and misleading.
In comparison
Iowa City 2.8
Midland TX 3.3
Salt Lake City 3.5
Charlottesville 3.8

Popular relocation city on city data
Huntsville AL 4.3
Even Ithaca NY 4.3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 09:18 AM

1,367 posts, read 5,758,038 times
I just wish people in Charlotte who complain about others moving here and needing work would take a step back and look at the situation with some respect and understanding. People are genuinely hurting in this country and for many, moving to an area with lower costs of living is the only way to keep their family's heads above water. There seems to be this cynical attitude that people wanting to move here are naive, or dreaming of some utopia or something. Maybe at other times that is true, but right now there are a lot of people who simple can't keep living in their current area, and many of those areas are as bad-off as Charlotte is for jobs. Charlotteans should accept the situation for what it is, make the most of it, and be thankful that we aren't in a stagnant position like Michigan where jobs AND people are leaving.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:22 AM

93 posts, read 202,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNaomi View Post
I just wish people in Charlotte who complain about others moving here and needing work would take a step back and look at the situation with some respect and understanding. People are genuinely hurting in this country and for many, moving to an area with lower costs of living is the only way to keep their family's heads above water. There seems to be this cynical attitude that people wanting to move here are naive, or dreaming of some utopia or something. Maybe at other times that is true, but right now there are a lot of people who simple can't keep living in their current area, and many of those areas are as bad-off as Charlotte is for jobs. Charlotteans should accept the situation for what it is, make the most of it, and be thankful that we aren't in a stagnant position like Michigan where jobs AND people are leaving.
Back in 89, I only made 20k (worked at a bank, of course) a year, however the brand new apartment I lived in off Hwy 51 was only $400 a month, and it was a very nice big apartment.
So even though I didn't make much money I could easily afford a great apartment because the COL was so low.
I think CLT still has a low COL but not as good as it was in the 80's.

Those were the good ol' days.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:29 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,758,045 times
I don't think that people who want to move here are naive but I do think they often have not done their homework, in the sense of finding out what the current situation is w/ jobs. They heard about CLT 2 years ago or read some stuff online about CLT in 2007 . . . and so do not realize how competitive jobs are here right now. In addition, it really does depend what field a person is in - healthcare remains stable, for example (wh/ is pretty much the case all over the USA). Rural hospitals are suffering in areas where population is low and there have been major layoffs . . . but urban/suburban healthcare has remained a good sector for steady employment.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:20 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,929,008 times
According the the aritcle on the first page of the Charlotte Observer on January 9, editoralist Kirsten Valle implied that only blacks are suffering. A black truck driver with 10 years of experience came to Charlotte from Kentucky six months ago and doesn't have a job. Other blacks came to Charlotte for jobs and didn't find them. She quoted the Washington Institute, a "liberal think tank" as saying that it is a result of descrimination. She also stated that the black unemployment rate was almost 12 percent, double that of whites. So, according to her, it isn't so bad for whites that are getting all of the jobs.

I did EMail here and mention that it isn't a matter of race , it is a matter of experience, education, criminal records, drug use, mannerisms, speech articulation, dress, and attitude. A employer is in the position to pick the most qualified person. Many white people have moved to the area and not found jobs. This is a equal opportunity situation.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:24 AM

93 posts, read 202,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandibadji View Post
According the the aritcle on the first page of the Charlotte Observer on January 9, editoralist Kirsten Valle implied that only blacks are suffering. A black truck driver with 10 years of experience came to Charlotte from Kentucky six months ago and doesn't have a job. Other blacks came to Charlotte for jobs and didn't find them. She quoted the Washington Institute, a "liberal think tank" as saying that it is a result of descrimination. She also stated that the black unemployment rate was almost 12 percent, double that of whites. So, according to her, it isn't so bad for whites that are getting all of the jobs.

I did EMail here and mention that it isn't a matter of race , it is a matter of experience, education, criminal records, drug use, mannerisms, speech articulation, dress, and attitude. A employer is in the position to pick the most qualified person. Many white people have moved to the area and not found jobs. This is a equal opportunity situation.
Ok, so you hate blacks. Anything else?

Old 01-11-2009, 10:42 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,069,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Brian, that's a bit harsh.

We are just discussing that it is difficult (and increasingly so) to get/keep a job in this market. The numbers prove it. And, let's face it, there always has been certain things that employers look for in a candidate down here...just in recent times when unemployment has been 2% or so, they have had to settle for what they normally wouldn't.
When was unemployment rate at 2%?

Old 01-11-2009, 10:47 AM

795 posts, read 4,550,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I see it this way. There ARE jobs. However, whether you will have the robust resume PLUS experience PLUS education PLUS personality PLUS adaptability to land that job is a wholly different discussion.

And I want to add something we rarely discuss - AGE. If you are under 50 and have all the above qualifications . . . then you will be one of the people who will interview well, make a good impression, possess the skills and experience . . . and you will have a really good chance of landing not only a job - but perhaps a really GOOD job (good in the sense of top notch company w/ good salary and perhaps even outstanding benefits).

Look at it this way. Think of when we were all in high school sitting for SATs. Then you got your scores, and those scores plus your record (grades, sports/club involvement, community involvement, etc) helped shape what colleges you applied for, depending on your major or area of study concentration.

Let's say there were 20,000 students applying for 2000 spots in the incoming freshman class at Duke for pre-Med. All 20,000 students had averages above 3.75 and all had SATs scores above 1500. Which students will get in? It all depends on what the Admissions screening committee has set up for criteria. Maybe they are looking for kids who also took certain additional classes. Or who showed community involvement. Or who had perfect scores in chemistry. Or who had essays that demonstrated exceptional verbal skills.

It is the same w/ applying for a job.

So should I tell the student who doesn't have all the above qualifications that he/she should not even bother to apply for admission to Duke? Or should I say - HECK YEAH - they have openings!!!! Send in your application! You never know!!!!

And what happens if 5000 of the 20,000 applicants DO have all the "right stuff," but there are only 2000 spots? How does the Admissions team sort through that? THey do personal interviews so then some are weeded out that way . . .

So it is the same w/ jobs in Charlotte. Competition is fierce. Your resume may show all the right stuff. Your personal interview may be the thing that makes it or breaks it. Or vice versa. Your interview may have been stellar but you lack some detail on your resume or background. Or maybe they are looking for someone they can TRAIN at a lower salary and they reject you b/c they would have to pay you more!

The fact remains - thousands will be applying for those limited jobs. So it all depends on what the company wants b/c competition is fierce and subtle small details can be what makes you the perfect candidate or keeps you from landing the job.

So yes, there are jobs . . . but for me to make the blanket statement - COME ON DOWN - the jobs are here to all who are out of work . . . wouldn't that be irresponsible on my part?

For Brian and his wife, I definitely did say - PLEASE COME BACK - you both have skills that are needed here and you WILL find work . . . but as an overall statement . . . I have to qualify that advice.
damn, ani! that may be the best post you've ever written, and i can't rep you! please, somebody, do it for me!

Old 01-11-2009, 04:09 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,929,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGonzo33 View Post
Ok, so you hate blacks. Anything else?
Don't understand why you would same something so lame. I hate editorialists that try to make a living by printing "half" stories. If you think that I hate blacks because I justify a bogas article, you need to get a life. The editorialist said that whites are not having a hard time getting jobs. I am just relaying to prospective white newcomers that information from the Charlotte Observer.

Last edited by vindaloo; 01-11-2009 at 04:27 PM..

Old 01-11-2009, 04:23 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,093,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
When was unemployment rate at 2%?
back in the late 80's, early 90's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte