Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 12:56 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,019,579 times

Advertisements

I have seen the model in 3 different places, it seems to have stayed where it currently is for the last month or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 01:18 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,628,579 times
I guess I don't understand why they would need to sponsor someone from Australia for an analyst postition with all the folks here that are applying for jobs.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:45 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,462,346 times
Maybe the person in Australia is better qualified? Maybe enough to outweigh the inconvenience of having to green card them in?

I could say the same thing about the bus loads of Indian folks they have working there too (BofA as well).

Old 08-28-2008, 02:43 PM

58 posts, read 126,189 times
Thanks you so much guys. Much appreciated and if anyone else wants to add in / help out that would be much appreciated.

Totally understand the areas that I would want to avoid. Read heaps in the papers etc to know Mortgage is the hardest hit and then Securities and Investment Banking.

Someone raised a point re sponsorship, why they would do that. Well can't answer that but I have 7 years multinational banking experience spread over Balance Sheet lending, Risk and Finance management. Bachelor and Masters degrees + Chartered final stages.

Regarding sponsorship - well that may stand between the job and me coz of the sponsorship expense but Australians can access E-3 visa which is not the same as H1 (all those indians and chinese have to work on) which require substantial company cost - E-3 on the other hand just needs a job offer and has a cap of 10,500 per year but never get filled. It takes 10 days to get that visa so its straight forward. No petition from employer so basically it's far easy to get it.

I am glad you guys mentioned all that you did. Just adds to the comfort. I guess they are expanding even in the crisis and looking fwd basically.

I will come in (if that happens that is) in a Snr Financial or Financial Analyst role so definitely not entry level. I just wanted to get an idea how it will go and if its rec.

I will keep you guys posted but please keep the suggestions coming..
Thanks !!!!

Old 08-28-2008, 06:25 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,028,509 times
Neilk, sounds like you would be in the corporate & investment bank: (CIB) which also took a hit earlier this year. But, expanding internationally would probably be a good goal for them; they also have offices in London that might actually fit your experience better. But, again, if they are willing to sponsor you (no matter how minor) and pay your relo expenses, well, it would be worth it just for the experience! Good Luck!

Old 08-28-2008, 06:31 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
CIB is my dh's client proceed with caution, as they all are walking on eggshells..

Old 08-28-2008, 06:42 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,628,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
Maybe the person in Australia is better qualified? Maybe enough to outweigh the inconvenience of having to green card them in?

I could say the same thing about the bus loads of Indian folks they have working there too (BofA as well).
I would agree with your statement also.

This was a serious question for me. Nothing against the poster, but what's up with all the folks that get sponsored vs hiring a citizen. I'm curious as to the thought process from the company side. I work in IT so I have a different perspective on contracting firms that recruit heavily from specific populations.

Old 08-29-2008, 05:23 AM

Baybook,
I totally understand where you are coming from. I think it's more to do with the fact that everyone wants to work in America. For me, it's defintely next step in my financial career. I know that there are certain races that would do anything to get there.

As to why they don't want to recruit citizens - may be it's not so much that they don't but may be my interview went well or may be they saw something in it that they are doing it ?

Totally understand your view though. But how is it any different from any ambitious person wanting to work in US ?

Old 09-09-2008, 06:26 AM

23 posts, read 47,531 times
neilk, did you get any further with the hiring process?

And it's not a lick different from any other person wanting to work in the US. I have a sister working in New Zealand, a brother working in Hong Kong (yes, we're all Americans), and I'm sure there are locals there saying the same thing about them. If you didn't have the goods Wachovia wouldn't be giving you the time of day and the fact that they are says something!

Old 09-21-2008, 05:08 PM

Maxxme,
Sorry have been away.
Yes - from the last time I posted, I had one more interview and they
asked me if I were interested in either Charlotte or St Louis. The problem for
me was (well this is 3 weeks old news) they want me to start immediately
and did not disclose anything further re : salary (I have a range) and
other things like relocation etc (which they said they wud 'consider' and
btw I was ok to pay)
From the beginning for the hiring process, I had informed there is no
way I can start in say 2 days - In Australia there is 4 weeks notice
period (call is crazy) and I had told them this from the start of the
process.
Anyway, I have a couple of people who work there and one of them is at
decent post. Through negotiations they said (final) if I can not start
now then they may consider me for the new year as they are expecting
recruitment to pick up then.
Got no idea how that would work out. So it's gone slow now.....
I had a few people send me PM's with additional info so thanks to them.
Got no idea how St Louis is but I was keen on Charlotte.
Regards,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte