Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2008, 06:16 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,519,093 times

Advertisements

Charlituna - what a great post! Thanks so much for sharing some memories. . . and hope you have a great summer in the motor home . . . sounds like fun to me!!!

Last edited by brokensky; 06-13-2008 at 06:16 PM.. Reason: typo
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 06:19 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,007,669 times
The Charlottetown Mall on East Independence Blvd. was one of the first enclosed shopping malls in the southeast, if not the first. Opened in 1959. Demolished in 2006.

Last edited by mm34b; 06-13-2008 at 06:35 PM..

Old 06-13-2008, 06:27 PM

85 posts, read 193,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkjaws View Post
Interesting facts:
Largest City: Charlotte with 550,000 residents and over 1.4 million in the metro area.
Charlotte history:
Around the middle of the 1700's, Scotch-Irish settlers came along the Great Wagon Road from Philadelphia. Near the Catawba River, they stopped and built a settlement which continued to grow as new neighbors moved in. The name for this new settlement was Charlotte in honor of the wife of King George III, who was the king of England(as sunny stated).. In 1768, Charlotte became an incorporated city. Charlotte was located in the new county of Mecklenburg, which was also named in honor of Queen Charlotte's homeland of Germany.
1799 brought a new experience for Charlotte with the discovery of a 17 pound gold nugget, bringing more prospectors and the opening of new mines. It didn't last, though, as the call from California's gold fields took away the miners. Cotton was also a staple crop for Charlotte. The railroad came to town and helped the economy stabilize even more.
that must be an old stat. the city has about 650,000 people and about 2.2 metro.

Old 06-13-2008, 06:44 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,007,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninerfan55 View Post
that must be an old stat. the city has about 650,000 people and about 2.2 metro.
Probably based on the last official census (2000).

Old 06-13-2008, 08:27 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,846,929 times
I love this thread! Thanks, Ani, for starting it. It gave me a feel for what the city used to be like and it made me remember similar things from the city of my youth. I appreciate all y'all for this!

Old 06-14-2008, 09:25 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,901,243 times
1. The old coluseum on Independence Blvd. was the largest dome roof in the world when it was built.

2. Wilburt Harrison, singer of the 50s hit "Going to Kansas City", was from Charlotte.

3. Alicia Bridges, singer of the disco hit, "I love the bright lights", was from Charlotte.

4. Maurice Williams and the Zodiacs who made the hit records, "Stay Just a Little Bit Longer", were from Charlotte.

5. George Hamilton IV, singer in the 50s and early 60s was from Charlotte.

6. The Swinging Madalians, singers of "Double Shot of my Baby's Love" were from Charlotte.

All I can think of for now.

Old 06-14-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
1. The old coluseum on Independence Blvd. was the largest dome roof in the world when it was built.

2. Wilburt Harrison, singer of the 50s hit "Going to Kansas City", was from Charlotte.

3. Alicia Bridges, singer of the disco hit, "I love the bright lights", was from Charlotte.

4. Maurice Williams and the Zodiacs who made the hit records, "Stay Just a Little Bit Longer", were from Charlotte.

5. George Hamilton IV, singer in the 50s and early 60s was from Charlotte.

6. The Swinging Madalians, singers of "Double Shot of my Baby's Love" were from Charlotte.

All I can think of for now.
What a great list! Thank you, Vin. You always add nice stuff to my threads, LOL. I really appreciate it.

Now - seems to me- Leslie Gore was from Gastonia . . . wasn't she?

Old 08-15-2008, 11:04 AM

125 posts, read 469,474 times
Hello, I just found this group. I found the link when I did a Google search on Captain Windy of Riverview Inn. My wife found an old autographed picture of him while going through boxes of old family photos. I remember eating there when I was a kid growing up in West Chester. After my folks discovered Lineburgers in Belmont we never went back to Riverview...
Lots of great memories reading the posts in this thread, Diary Queen on Wilkinson Blvd, the Open Kitchen, still on of my favorite places to eat out, we go back at least a couple of times a year.
I went to West Meck, my wife went to Harding, she grew up in Enderly Park.
It really makes to sad to see what's happened to the west side in the last 20 years.
After we got married in 1974 we lived in Westerly Hills, in 1988 we moved to Union County, Wesley Chapel area.

I look forward to reading more form the group.

Ron w4ron
http://radioheaven.homestead.com/menu.html

Old 08-15-2008, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Ron View Post
Hello, I just found this group. I found the link when I did a Google search on Captain Windy of Riverview Inn. My wife found an old autographed picture of him while going through boxes of old family photos. I remember eating there when I was a kid growing up in West Chester. After my folks discovered Lineburgers in Belmont we never went back to Riverview...
Lots of great memories reading the posts in this thread, Diary Queen on Wilkinson Blvd, the Open Kitchen, still on of my favorite places to eat out, we go back at least a couple of times a year.
I went to West Meck, my wife went to Harding, she grew up in Enderly Park.
It really makes to sad to see what's happened to the west side in the last 20 years.
After we got married in 1974 we lived in Westerly Hills, in 1988 we moved to Union County, Wesley Chapel area.

I look forward to reading more form the group.

Ron w4ron
http://radioheaven.homestead.com/menu.html
Hi, Ron! Welcome to City Data = hope you will keep reading and posting!

Yes, Linebergers!!! An institution we all knew!

You need to scan your pic of Capt. Windy and share it, LOL!!!!

Old 08-15-2008, 12:42 PM

125 posts, read 469,474 times
[quote=anifani821;4870290 You need to scan your pic of Capt. Windy and share it, LOL!!!![/quote]

OK, I scanned it, using my new Epson do everything printer/scanner/copier/fax, this thing will do everything but rub my back and talk dirty to me....

I'll try sending it as an attachment and see if it works.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Things newcomers might not know about Charlotte-captwindy.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte