Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 11:05 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times

Advertisements

Filming location for 1994 movie, "Nell"
Filming location for 2001's "Shallow Hal"

Well-known residents have included:

Rev. Billy Graham, religious leader
Michael J. Fox, Actor
Donald Schollander, swimmer, Olympic medallist
Andrew Jackson, 7th U.S. President
James Knox Polk, 11th U.S. President
Randy Travis, musician

As of 2008 Charlotte is 20th largest city in the nation, fifth largest city on the east coat and the largest city between Philedelphia and Jacksonville

Charlotte Uptown sits upon two old creek beds that was used during the gold mining age. I know one is by the TWC arena, Transit Center following along college but I am not sure where the other would have been located.

The African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church is headquarted in Charlotte
Charlotte, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 12:54 AM

10,113 posts, read 10,967,774 times
Goodness this thread does bring back lots of good memories ... Arthur Smith and his Crackerjacks ... Tommy Faile is a cousin of mine ... I had an aunt and uncle that lived off of Tuckaseegee Rd and another relative on 10th off of Tryon St. I remember Joey The Clown ... the Singing Cowboy Fred Kirby, Kilgo's Canteen with Jimmy Kilgo ... and Jim Crockett's Saturday night rassling with Johnny Weaver and the Great Bolo ... the only real true sport!!

As a child the best part of Christmas shopping was going to Santa Land in Sears basement on Tryon Street ... they had a Lionel Model train set up around the perimeter. My parents got most of their Christmas shopping done while I was entertained with riding the escalators!

No such thing as malls just Tryon Street with Ivey's, Belk Brothers, Efirds ... Honey's Restaurant on S. Tryon was a treat too ... as was Tanner's ... the Open Kitchen, Ranch House on Wilkinson, South 21 Drive-In, the Riverview Inn had Captain Windy with the peg leg and down the road was a Park & Shop ... also there use to be this amusement park out that way somewhere ... ferris wheel ... carousel ... I think it was on Wilkinson and owned by a Mr. Partlow.

Remember the Masonic Temple with those huge columns out front on Tryon. The columns now stand beside the Civitas on Dave Lyle Blvd in Rock Hill. They were a gift to the city from First Union Corporation and are regarded as one of the area’s most treasured historical artifacts.

Bass weejuns was the absolutely coolest shoes (penny loafers) when I was in high school ... the only place my mom could find them was ... Montaldo's ... now that was pure ritz to walk into Montaldo's!!

Old 05-07-2008, 10:47 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,898,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunroven55 View Post
You must be from Thomasboro!! T. C. Wright, the big guy!! and at our age back then he really was the big guy!! Definitely remember. I loved Jo Graham Foster she really gave me the ambition to go out and make something of myself even though we couldn't afford college!

You probably go to the Barbecue King or the Town and Country! West had something at Barbecue King just a few weeks ago.

Dunroven
I was there (BBQ King). I was visiting from Florida. My old great friend Downer is very ill and I wanted to see him for possibly the last time. And yes, I'm from the mean streets of thomasboro. Have you heard of the Westside reunion that goes on every October at OD? Last year around 700 people went. We partied for 4 nights. Jo Foster was great. Last time I saw here, she was traveling with some city/state bigwigs (Fontaine Odom for one) in Panama (the country). I met them and had dinner, etc. Was great to see her. That was around 1985.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunroven55 View Post
Yes, Suttle's. Used to swim there every week, loved it!!!!!! How about the Riverview Inn. Back then we hit that place at least 1 friday a month. Ate at the long tables with all the other kids. It's not as good as it was back then, on the other hand, it might be the same - you know how kids are about food!

Memorial Stadium many times. Joey the Clown and Betty Feezor - 12:00 noon everyday. How about Arthur Smith Show?

Ate many hotdogs at the Eckerd's counter too and loved to make the home made ice cream.

There are soooo many wonderful memories, keep them coming!
The place was lovingly known as "Suttle's mud puddle" as well. I went to riverview Inn many times. Do you remember Kilgo's Canteen, Magic Forest starring Chauncy Caterpillar, Chatty Hatty (WGIV), Park Center when it was segregated and one week the mezanine would be reserved for "Negro dancers and spectators" and the next week it would be reserved for whites. I also remember that there was never a problem.

Old 05-10-2008, 01:47 PM

My final input on this thread: Charlotte has more annual arrivals and take-offs than the following well known airports in 2006:

Charlotte- 29,694,000

Dubai International- 28,789,000

Seoul, Korea- 28,361,000

Boston (Logan)- 27,725,000

New York (Laguardia)- 26,571,000

Paris (Orly)- 25.622.000

Old 05-10-2008, 02:34 PM

18 posts, read 52,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eman1200 View Post
Charlotte has the greatest tasting mustard in the world. And that is a fact.
Ooooh......my parents are German immigrants and ground their own....not sure about this one, but I look forward to testing it when I move down there in August

Old 05-10-2008, 02:36 PM

18 posts, read 52,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docbest74 View Post
Uggg....well...I tried
Isn't there a Charlotte, TN?

Old 05-10-2008, 02:55 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
Goodness this thread does bring back lots of good memories ... Arthur Smith and his Crackerjacks ... Tommy Faile is a cousin of mine ... I had an aunt and uncle that lived off of Tuckaseegee Rd and another relative on 10th off of Tryon St. I remember Joey The Clown ... the Singing Cowboy Fred Kirby, Kilgo's Canteen with Jimmy Kilgo ... and Jim Crockett's Saturday night rassling with Johnny Weaver and the Great Bolo ... the only real true sport!!

As a child the best part of Christmas shopping was going to Santa Land in Sears basement on Tryon Street ... they had a Lionel Model train set up around the perimeter. My parents got most of their Christmas shopping done while I was entertained with riding the escalators!

No such thing as malls just Tryon Street with Ivey's, Belk Brothers, Efirds ... Honey's Restaurant on S. Tryon was a treat too ... as was Tanner's ... the Open Kitchen, Ranch House on Wilkinson, South 21 Drive-In, the Riverview Inn had Captain Windy with the peg leg and down the road was a Park & Shop ... also there use to be this amusement park out that way somewhere ... ferris wheel ... carousel ... I think it was on Wilkinson and owned by a Mr. Partlow.

Remember the Masonic Temple with those huge columns out front on Tryon. The columns now stand beside the Civitas on Dave Lyle Blvd in Rock Hill. They were a gift to the city from First Union Corporation and are regarded as one of the area’s most treasured historical artifacts.

Bass weejuns was the absolutely coolest shoes (penny loafers) when I was in high school ... the only place my mom could find them was ... Montaldo's ... now that was pure ritz to walk into Montaldo's!!
Yeah, singing along to Joey's rendition of "George Washington's Bridge". I believe he died about 5 years ago. R.I.P. Joey.

Do you remember who was the major sponsor of Arthur Smith's TV show?

Old 05-10-2008, 03:06 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderBooger View Post
Isn't there a Charlotte, TN?
Charlotte, Tennessee (TN) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

Old 05-10-2008, 04:16 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
Yeah, singing along to Joey's rendition of "George Washington's Bridge". I believe he died about 5 years ago. R.I.P. Joey.

Do you remember who was the major sponsor of Arthur Smith's TV show?
No, I don't but it should have been Neese's Livermush! Yummy!!!!

Come on, MM. Don't leave us hanging . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte