Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 06:16 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,897,063 times

Advertisements

-Randolph Scott is buried in the Elmwood Cemetary downtown and he and his family lived close to Dilworth.

- Stonewall Jackson's wife was a big deal in Charlotte. She was highly involved in the social aspects of the city.

- Last Confederate cabinet meeting was held in Charlotte downtown.

- Confederate Naval headquarters were in Charlotte.

- Most combatants (thousands) of WWI went through training at Camp Greene off of Wilkerson Blvd.

I am just sitting here having coffee and preparing to do some work so I jotted down just a couple of tidbits that I could think of. Of course this is just the tip of the iceburg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 06:16 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyRoss View Post
Dunroven, did you ever swim in Suttle's Puddles off Wilkinson? I guess you know they filled the pool in years ago.

Growing up, it was always NCNB building taller than First Union. One bank would build taller, then the other seemed to compete and build higher. I remember going downtown to shop at Sears. If we behaved, my mom would buy us some of the bridge mix candy. Yes, Sears had a candy counter.... Some times we would eat lunch at the Eckerd's counter or just get a milkshake. Eckerds used to deliver medicine to your home in person. There was an ice house near downtown. We used to buy a big bag of ice from there to make a churn of ice cream in our White Mountain wooden churn. You took turns cranking it and/or sitting on the churn to keep it still while someone cranked.

Anyone remember the Joey the Clown show or Betty Feezor (hope I spelled her name correctly)?

Remember Charlotte Storm, our old football team? I think they had an undefeated record and played in Memorial Stadium. Games were packed. We had Charlotte Lightning too...soccer!
OMG - I do remember Joey the Clown. And I have an ancient Beety Feezor (I think that is how you spell it) cookbook packed somewhere! I will never forget her. I started cooking at about 11 - and I got a lot of my ideas from Betty Feezor, who would go step by step and always had simple recipes to follow.

And Doug McLean - weatherman - who we affectionately labeled "Cloudy McLean" . . . and Mike McKay, weatherman . . . and OMGosh, just remembered: Barbara Stutz then took over the "recipe" a day - a segment sponsored by Harris-Teeter, and HT had these recipe cards weekly that had Barbara's recipes on them. Then, Barbara ended up marrying Mike McKay and now Charlotte knows her are Barbara McKay. Of course, that brings to mind . . . that Mike McKay's name is actually a "stage name." His name is Mike McLean, but w/the last name being the same as as Doug McLean's, Mike changed his name to McKay, ROFL!

Oh, the trivia!

Old 05-06-2008, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
-Randolph Scott is buried in the Elmwood Cemetary downtown and he and his family lived close to Dilworth.

- Stonewall Jackson's wife was a big deal in Charlotte. She was highly involved in the social aspects of the city.

- Last Confederate cabinet meeting was held in Charlotte downtown.

- Confederate Naval headquarters were in Charlotte.

- Most combatants (thousands) of WWI went through training at Camp Greene off of Wilkerson Blvd.

I am just sitting here having coffee and preparing to do some work so I jotted down just a couple of tidbits that I could think of. Of course this is just the tip of the iceburg.
Great tibits, Vin! Thank you so much for sharing the info!

And enjoy your coffee . . .

Old 05-06-2008, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docbest74 View Post
Charlotte is the only town in the U.S. that is spelled C-h-a-r-l-o-t-t-e
Charlotte, Texas and Charlotte, Vermont can also be added. Also, Charlotte Amelia, Island.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Dunroven - thank you so much for a wonderful post!!! Brought back memories to me, too!

The big trip for us at Christmas was to go to Belk to shop, LOL. I felt like I had gone to Bergdorf's!! I can remember being about six and thinking - wow - this is the greatest place on earth. That was b/f I had gone into NYC and Philadelphia for the first time. Even after that, Belk still seemed like the Harrod's of the South to me!!!

And help me remember, Dunroven . . . was there a little tea shop or sandwich shop or something at Belk, too? I can't quite place that . . . but remember in high school - eating somewhere in Belk or nearby . . . ????

Remember how everyone headed to Charlotte to go to the Open Kitchen after Prom? LOL!!!!

I remember the tremor. It shook our house and rattled stuff on bookshelves. I had forgotten about that, too. . .

Thank you again for a great post!
I am sure you fondly remember Tanner's and the Plantation Grill (near the Open Kitchen) serving the best fried chicken in town?

Old 05-06-2008, 06:39 AM

Quote:
I am sure you fondly remember Tanner's and the Plantation Grill (near the Open Kitchen) serving the best fried chicken in town?
Hee Hee - Sadly, Vin, I have to admit - I do not remember eating at either one as a teen or in my 20s, either. When we headed to the Open Kitchen, it was a sole destination. Besides the Prom Nite association, when I was in college, I worked part time in the show room of a local furniture manufacturer, and on Friday nites, we would literally load up cars and do a caravan to the Open Kitchen!! So for us, the Open Kitchen was a destination all to itself.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunroven55 View Post
When I grew up in the Western section of Charlotte the most wonderful thing to do was to go down town to Five and Dime and eat pie and ice cream. They had a soda fountain and you sat around it.

Belks Department store and Eckerds used to be where the Blumenthal Center is now. All shopping was done in the downtown section as there was no malls at that time.

In 1966 while dining at the Gondola Restaurant off of Wilkinson Boulevard the floor of the restaurant started moving. We actually had a tremor.

The Dairy Queen on Wilkinson Boulevard is one of the oldest if not the oldest in Charlotte. On Sunday afternoons we went and stood in line for ice cream.

I graduated from West Mecklenburg High School in 1964. Ms. Jo Foster was our asst.
principal later to be in the House of Representatives for North Carolina.

Good Post, brought back great memories!!

Dunroven
Do you remember the thomasboro Community House and big T.C. Wright? I am a westsider as well, although I left for many, many, years and am in the process of returning.

Old 05-06-2008, 04:07 PM

444 posts, read 1,649,068 times
Quote:
Tanner's punch and hot dogs, my, my, my what I wouldn't do for another day at Tanner's!

dunroven

Old 05-06-2008, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Do you remember the thomasboro Community House and big T.C. Wright? I am a westsider as well, although I left for many, many, years and am in the process of returning.
You must be from Thomasboro!! T. C. Wright, the big guy!! and at our age back then he really was the big guy!! Definitely remember. I loved Jo Graham Foster she really gave me the ambition to go out and make something of myself even though we couldn't afford college!

You probably go to the Barbecue King or the Town and Country! West had something at Barbecue King just a few weeks ago.

Dunroven

Old 05-06-2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyRoss View Post
Dunroven, did you ever swim in Suttle's Puddles off Wilkinson? I guess you know they filled the pool in years ago.

Growing up, it was always NCNB building taller than First Union. One bank would build taller, then the other seemed to compete and build higher. I remember going downtown to shop at Sears. If we behaved, my mom would buy us some of the bridge mix candy. Yes, Sears had a candy counter.... Some times we would eat lunch at the Eckerd's counter or just get a milkshake. Eckerds used to deliver medicine to your home in person. There was an ice house near downtown. We used to buy a big bag of ice from there to make a churn of ice cream in our White Mountain wooden churn. You took turns cranking it and/or sitting on the churn to keep it still while someone cranked.

Anyone remember the Joey the Clown show or Betty Feezor (hope I spelled her name correctly)?

Remember Charlotte Storm, our old football team? I think they had an undefeated record and played in Memorial Stadium. Games were packed. We had Charlotte Lightning too...soccer!

Yes, Suttle's. Used to swim there every week, loved it!!!!!! How about the Riverview Inn. Back then we hit that place at least 1 friday a month. Ate at the long tables with all the other kids. It's not as good as it was back then, on the other hand, it might be the same - you know how kids are about food!

Memorial Stadium many times. Joey the Clown and Betty Feezor - 12:00 noon everyday. How about Arthur Smith Show?

Ate many hotdogs at the Eckerd's counter too and loved to make the home made ice cream.

There are soooo many wonderful memories, keep them coming!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte