Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 09:22 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,905,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunroven55 View Post
Yes I heard about Downer. You must have graduated with my sister she was at the BBQ King also.

PM me and let me know more about you. I'd bet we've known each other for
some time wouldnt you>

Dunroven
I am now wasting time at work. I will PM you when I get home. Probably going to surprise each other
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 09:30 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,558,234 times
I love this! LOL! City Data is great!!!! I wonder how many friendships have either reconnected or been formed b/c of CD??? This is community at its finest!!!!

Old 05-15-2008, 03:58 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,565,732 times
Birthplace of: Billy Graham - (born 1918), evangelist,
Susan Helms - astronaut,
Jeff McInnis - NBA player (New Jersey Nets, born: Oct 22, 1974),
Jeff Reed - 2005 NFL player (Pittsburgh Steelers, born: Apr 9, 1979),
Chad Tracy - 2005 Major League Baseball player (Arizona Diamondbacks, born: May 22, 1980),
Ray Durham - 2005 Major League Baseball player (San Francisco Giants, born: Nov 30, 1971),
Je'Rod Cherry - 2005 NFL player (New England Patriots, born: May 30, 1973),
Keith Belton - 2005 NFL player (Chicago Bears, born: Jun 1, 1981),
DeShaun Foster - 2005 NFL player (Carolina Panthers, born: Jan 10, 1980),
Ryan Vogelsong - 2005 Major League Baseball player (Pittsburgh Pirates, born: Jul 22, 1977).

Old 05-15-2008, 05:58 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,978,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Great trivia, CW!!! I can't remember that WBTV song . . . but was it WBTV that ended its broadcast w/ the statement about being owned by the Jefferson Pilot broadcasting company? Anyone remember this - wasn't that WBT???

You are right ani ... Jeff Pilot owned WBTV radio and television ... a few years ago they merged with Lincoln National. I have a friend that retired from WBT and the employee profit sharing plan was all in Jefferson Pilot stock.

Long long ago ... a season pass for Carowinds was $29.00. The only water ride was the log flume and yes Sunny the monorail was one of the original rides when the park opened. I don't do rides except things like sitting quietly in a monorail ... but ... the monorail broke down with us on it ... just stopped and there we sat ... and sat and sat.

Last edited by CarolinaWoman; 05-15-2008 at 06:11 PM..

Old 05-15-2008, 06:23 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,018,398 times
Movie & TV series using Charlotte as a location:

Titles with locations including<br>Charlotte, North Carolina, USA

Old 05-16-2008, 12:50 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,905,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I love this! LOL! City Data is great!!!! I wonder how many friendships have either reconnected or been formed b/c of CD??? This is community at its finest!!!!
You're right Ani. It so happens that she is closely related to my best friend in Charlotte. Quite a shocker.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
You are right ani ... Jeff Pilot owned WBTV radio and television ... a few years ago they merged with Lincoln National. I have a friend that retired from WBT and the employee profit sharing plan was all in Jefferson Pilot stock.

Long long ago ... a season pass for Carowinds was $29.00. The only water ride was the log flume and yes Sunny the monorail was one of the original rides when the park opened. I don't do rides except things like sitting quietly in a monorail ... but ... the monorail broke down with us on it ... just stopped and there we sat ... and sat and sat.
Oh, my! Yes, a season pass wa $29!!!!

Thanx for the info on Jefferson Pilot - I thought I remembered that!!!

I can see you on the monorail - sitting.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
You're right Ani. It so happens that she is closely related to my best friend in Charlotte. Quite a shocker.
Vin, that is WILD!!!! hee hee - small world . . .

Ya'll remember when we used to go to Eastland and skate? And how wonderful that mall seemed when it was new?

Old 05-16-2008, 04:37 PM

444 posts, read 1,650,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
Tis amazing!! His brother was my bus driver in high school and he also
happens to be my nephews best friend.

Even though Charlotte has grown lots we still are small enough to run into
people we went to high school with years ago. I guess we haven't grown to BIG yet!!????

Dunroven

Old 06-13-2008, 06:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunroven55 View Post
When I grew up in the Western section of Charlotte the most wonderful thing to do was to go down town to Five and Dime and eat pie and ice cream. They had a soda fountain and you sat around it.

Belks Department store and Eckerds used to be where the Blumenthal Center is now. All shopping was done in the downtown section as there was no malls at that time.

In 1966 while dining at the Gondola Restaurant off of Wilkinson Boulevard the floor of the restaurant started moving. We actually had a tremor.

The Dairy Queen on Wilkinson Boulevard is one of the oldest if not the oldest in Charlotte. On Sunday afternoons we went and stood in line for ice cream.

I graduated from West Mecklenburg High School in 1964. Ms. Jo Foster was our asst.
principal later to be in the House of Representatives for North Carolina.

Good Post, brought back great memories!!

Dunroven
wonderful memories, graduated 1960/First class Garinger (old Central Transplant).. remember the good days...Jimmies, Shoneys, Honeys, Babe Maloys, Gondola and more! movie theatres downtown... five and dimes (I worked at Woolworths part time in High School) -- good stuff. wonder what the young folks today will remember as the "good old days"....now?? Karen in central Florida (retired from Duke Power in 97-early - now we live fulltime/travel in 43 foot diesel motor home with Harley on back, and towing Dakota 4x4! -- sitting still a lot lately with price of fuel)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte