Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 09:10 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianTrailer View Post
What I hate are the people who, when food is bad (not the waiter's fault), complain and get the food taken off the bill (and often get a new meal...also comp)...and then tip 20% off the new lower total instead of what you expected to pay when you walked in.
I disagree.

The Cook/Kitchen is to blame because if the meal was done right, the waiter would've gotten his proper tip. I got served a lousy meal but you want me to throw a "tip" for that rotten meal? What sense does that make?

Again, the waiter is getting screwed by their cooks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 09:29 AM

1,852 posts, read 5,218,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arussell View Post
I agreed in an earlier post that we all had horror stories. Nevertheless, I will post my worst story. We were in a Brooklyn neighborhood diner and I ordered a BLT. The waitress brings the food, my daughter food was fine, but my bacon was burnt unedible. When the waitress came back to refill coffee, I told her that I wanted fresh bacon. She did not take plate, nor did she bring me another BLT sandwich. I allowed my daughter to eat her food. I turned over the placemat to the all white side and spelled "TIP" with the burned bacon pieces. Of course, it was rude, but her service was deplorable and I just wanted to get out. I paid the bill and left because the manager was not in. Since I frequent reguarly, I told him on my next visit and he gave me free dinner for two.
Classic.. thanks for sharing.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
I disagree.

The Cook/Kitchen is to blame because if the meal was done right, the waiter would've gotten his proper tip. I got served a lousy meal but you want me to throw a "tip" for that rotten meal? What sense does that make?

Again, the waiter is getting screwed by their cooks.
But the question is, did the server do their job? Did they ask if the meal was right and correct it for you. If they did, I would tip for thier efforts even on the free meal. If it was more my effort, than I would not.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:54 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytewulf View Post
But the question is, did the server do their job? Did they ask if the meal was right and correct it for you. If they did, I would tip for thier efforts even on the free meal. If it was more my effort, than I would not.
I guess your right. I'd probably still throw a little more than 20% if I got the entree taken off....

Old 03-07-2008, 06:15 AM

241 posts, read 891,486 times
To the person who said that tips aren't required, do you realize how much servers in NC make? They make $2.13/hour. It may have gone up since I was a server, but give me a break...they aren't required. If you don't want to tip, go to a fastfood place where people don't have to wait on you hand and foot and you can pick up your own food, etc.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:00 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,628,579 times
I really don't care what anyone's wage is. If you read my comment I said they are not required and they are not. They are fof good service. If you can't do they job, then get another job. If you have a job that depends on tips, then do the job well!! Period.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:07 AM

241 posts, read 891,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
I really don't care what anyone's wage is. If you read my comment I said they are not required and they are not. They are fof good service. If you can't do they job, then get another job. If you have a job that depends on tips, then do the job well!! Period.

Actually, your quote said the following: Originally Posted by baybook
Tips are not required. They are for excellent service. Also, when did 15% become the minimum? I am in my late 30's. 10% has always been a baseline and ou can move up from there. I tend to over tip... but it peeves me that there is an expectation about tipping. My tip is an extra - not an entitlement.

Tips are not for excellent service. It's a standard and just like I said before, if you expect to be served, you should pay for that service. Now, I can understand not tipping if they were flat out horrible, rude, unfriendly, something of that nature, but there are all types of instances where the kitchen messes up on an order - does that make the server not deserve not being tipped? Most people do waiting because they have to - not because they enjoy it - although there are a select few who choose to be career servers. If you are going to go to a restaurant, don't be one of these lousy, and yes, I said lousy, customers that feels like everybody on this earth is there to serve you because they're not - they are workers too. Be considerate. These people make a living on those wages. 15% isn't really even the minimum anymore - it's generally 18%. Tipping in a restaurant where you are served is not entitlement. If they do their job relatively decently, then they deserve to be tipped.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:47 AM

6 posts, read 16,372 times
This is a great forum and very relevant. I have a question that has always baffled me...sometimes my husband and I go out to dinner and share a couple of appetizers with a good bottle of wine. The bill is over $100, but should we really tip 20% of that? It's no more work for the wait staff than if we'd ordered a Coke. Are there different rules that apply for alcohol? We always do tip the standard 20%, but I'm just curious about the protocol. Are we total chumps?

Old 03-07-2008, 09:54 AM

3,662 posts, read 9,663,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2turtles View Post
This is a great forum and very relevant. I have a question that has always baffled me...sometimes my husband and I go out to dinner and share a couple of appetizers with a good bottle of wine. The bill is over $100, but should we really tip 20% of that? It's no more work for the wait staff than if we'd ordered a Coke. Are there different rules that apply for alcohol? We always do tip the standard 20%, but I'm just curious about the protocol. Are we total chumps?
Depends. I think if they stay on top of that bottle and your glass is never dry, then they should be tipped on the bottle. If all they do is open it for you, but you find yourself refilling your own glass, then I would probably only tip 5-10% of the bottle.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damaranicole View Post
Tips are not for excellent service. It's a standard and just like I said before, if you expect to be served, you should pay for that service. Now, I can understand not tipping if they were flat out horrible, rude, unfriendly, something of that nature, but there are all types of instances where the kitchen messes up on an order - does that make the server not deserve not being tipped? Most people do waiting because they have to - not because they enjoy it - although there are a select few who choose to be career servers. If you are going to go to a restaurant, don't be one of these lousy, and yes, I said lousy, customers that feels like everybody on this earth is there to serve you because they're not - they are workers too. Be considerate. These people make a living on those wages. 15% isn't really even the minimum anymore - it's generally 18%. Tipping in a restaurant where you are served is not entitlement. If they do their job relatively decently, then they deserve to be tipped.
I understand what you are trying to say, however, Tips are for excellent service. Things have morphed over the years, where they get expected and such, but they were originally for above standard performace. That has happened in many cases, from cabbies, cruise ships, car wash, etc. But you can walk away with no tip, though people may not be happy. Also I believe it is Federal Law that if a server doesn't make at least minimum wage that the company must bump it up. Kind of like scheduling someone for the worst slow hours. Minimum wage is not good, but it is what it is. Again, most people, even Baybrook, have stated they tip and generally "overtip", but now its become what is standard 15, 20, 25... I again still start at 15, tip for the full bill and hold the server accountable. If the food is bad, they should ask me and help get it fixed.. If they put that effort out, they get the full tip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte