Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 07:09 AM

62 posts, read 219,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
Tips are not required. They are for excellent service. Also, when did 15% become the minimum? I am in my late 30's. 10% has always been a baseline and ou can move up from there.

I tend to over tip... but it peeves me that there is an expectation about tipping. My tip is an extra - not an entitlement.
Obviously you never worked as a waiter or had any close family member work as a waiter. My daughters worked their way through college waiting. As a result I tip 20% or more. If service was not up to par, then 10-15%. Remember they make less than minimum wage as a base pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 07:51 AM

1,852 posts, read 5,231,309 times
Poor Baybook is getting destroyed for posting a response to the question. It did used to be 10% and there is nothing wrong with 10%. He said 10% to start. Don't give me this, you have to work as a server to understand. They chose that profression because if they do their jobs well, they make pretty decent money. The reason they make less than minimum wage in many cases (note this is not true in all cases, the resteraunt can pay them whatever they want). Its because on an average night, (this is just an example) they could be working 4-6 tables an hour, thus if things go right and even on 10% tips on a $100 worth of bills, they just made $10 an hour more. Yes it's taxed, what wage isn't and yes they sometimes give a percentage to hostess or bartender, but it's better than retail and fast food in most cases. And in many places, that is a low end figure. Note, $11 an hour isn't super, but then again... neither are comparable jobs.

And each person has their own mindset, but going after a person if they leave 10% is crap, because next time you will get 0%. I personally start at 15% and go up from there and in a few cases down. I also tip on the full bill before coupons and such. I also tip more when I just get water. When I go to bars, and I order water after a drink or two, I tip $1 per water on average, because it is still an effort. So in no way am I am being cheap. I also have worked, retail, fast food, serving, construction, office, etc...

I have had some **** poor service lately and this expectation that they still get a tip cracks me up. I am not talking about bad food, cold food, etc. I was at the fine Applebees establishment the other day, ordered $15 worth of food and the lady next te me and I, basically had to get up afetr 10 minutes to get help, the server seem to be too busy working the drive up. First time in a long time, I left a $1 tip. But even if the food was the problem, it is the server who owns the problem. Thats why you come back after 2minutes and make sure everything is ok, if it is not, you go fix the problem, the customer should not have to find a manager. Do you have ketchup, drinks, is everything cooked right, more bread, how's the AC, music too loud, etc. I want one person owning my dining experience and that is my server.

I hate small tippers that do it for no reason, and people that leave $.93 on $67 either don't get what a tip is (as others have said the US is one of the few places that tip for average service), or are just clueless in life. I have often left a few dollars more as well to compensate for others.

Rant off...

Old 03-04-2008, 08:09 AM

889 posts, read 3,123,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytewulf View Post
Poor Baybook is getting destroyed for posting a response to the question. It did used to be 10% and there is nothing wrong with 10%. He said 10% to start. Don't give me this, you have to work as a server to understand. They chose that profression because if they do their jobs well, they make pretty decent money. The reason they make less than minimum wage in many cases (note this is not true in all cases, the resteraunt can pay them whatever they want). Its because on an average night, (this is just an example) they could be working 4-6 tables an hour, thus if things go right and even on 10% tips on a $100 worth of bills, they just made $10 an hour more. Yes it's taxed, what wage isn't and yes they sometimes give a percentage to hostess or bartender, but it's better than retail and fast food in most cases. And in many places, that is a low end figure. Note, $11 an hour isn't super, but then again... neither are comparable jobs.

And each person has their own mindset, but going after a person if they leave 10% is crap, because next time you will get 0%. I personally start at 15% and go up from there and in a few cases down. I also tip on the full bill before coupons and such. I also tip more when I just get water. When I go to bars, and I order water after a drink or two, I tip $1 per water on average, because it is still an effort. So in no way am I am being cheap. I also have worked, retail, fast food, serving, construction, office, etc...

I have had some **** poor service lately and this expectation that they still get a tip cracks me up. I am not talking about bad food, cold food, etc. I was at the fine Applebees establishment the other day, ordered $15 worth of food and the lady next te me and I, basically had to get up afetr 10 minutes to get help, the server seem to be too busy working the drive up. First time in a long time, I left a $1 tip. But even if the food was the problem, it is the server who owns the problem. Thats why you come back after 2minutes and make sure everything is ok, if it is not, you go fix the problem, the customer should not have to find a manager. Do you have ketchup, drinks, is everything cooked right, more bread, how's the AC, music too loud, etc. I want one person owning my dining experience and that is my server.

I hate small tippers that do it for no reason, and people that leave $.93 on $67 either don't get what a tip is (as others have said the US is one of the few places that tip for average service), or are just clueless in life. I have often left a few dollars more as well to compensate for others.

Rant off...
Dont you just suppose just maybe, if they were paid min. wage to begin with in addition to the tips that are earned, (if they are earned!!) may just atrack servers who choose this for a career,have a better attitude about it and dont have such young, inexperienced hate to be there type of attitude( which i notice a lot!!) to begin with?? The restaurants are the only ones benefiting from such an absurd wage to begin with.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:03 AM

1,852 posts, read 5,231,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvn2nc View Post
Dont you just suppose just maybe, if they were paid min. wage to begin with in addition to the tips that are earned, (if they are earned!!) may just atrack servers who choose this for a career,have a better attitude about it and dont have such young, inexperienced hate to be there type of attitude( which i notice a lot!!) to begin with?? The restaurants are the only ones benefiting from such an absurd wage to begin with.
If you want to pay more for you food, sure. The higher end resteraunts do pay more up front. I doubt IHOP will be doing it any time soon. I think that works in most industries. You get different employee base when you pay higher, because it becomes more competative.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:18 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,727,925 times
On the few occasions where we thought a tip was not warranted (due to extremely horrible service - the number of such situations I have ever run across I can count on one hand) we also made it a point to speak with the manager and explain what the problem was, rather than just decide to leave a poor tip (or none) with no explanation.

Like alot of the posters in this thread...we generally tip well..and even more when it is warranted, but if the service is so bad you cannot bring yourself to justify a tip...let the manager know exactly what the situation is and why you feel that way about the tip. That probably does more good in the long run vs just leaving a small tip...that just makes the server irritable and more likely to provide even worse service to other patrons.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:34 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,688,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
On the few occasions where we thought a tip was not warranted (due to extremely horrible service - the number of such situations I have ever run across I can count on one hand) we also made it a point to speak with the manager and explain what the problem was, rather than just decide to leave a poor tip (or none) with no explanation.

Like alot of the posters in this thread...we generally tip well..and even more when it is warranted, but if the service is so bad you cannot bring yourself to justify a tip...let the manager know exactly what the situation is and why you feel that way about the tip. That probably does more good in the long run vs just leaving a small tip...that just makes the server irritable and more likely to provide even worse service to other patrons.
Agreed. The last time we left no tip was the last time our meal was free in Washington D.C. Long story short, no one at that restaurant (Uno's) had it together, including the manager. We never really did have a server if I remember correctly. I don't think I've ever done that before. I've left less than 15% on only a couple of occasions for similar situations and those meals were probably free too.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:30 PM

87 posts, read 286,394 times
What I hate are the people who, when food is bad (not the waiter's fault), complain and get the food taken off the bill (and often get a new meal...also comp)...and then tip 20% off the new lower total instead of what you expected to pay when you walked in.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:30 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,412,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Agreed. The last time we left no tip was the last time our meal was free in Washington D.C. Long story short, no one at that restaurant (Uno's) had it together, including the manager. We never really did have a server if I remember correctly. I don't think I've ever done that before. I've left less than 15% on only a couple of occasions for similar situations and those meals were probably free too.
I agreed in an earlier post that we all had horror stories. Nevertheless, I will post my worst story. We were in a Brooklyn neighborhood diner and I ordered a BLT. The waitress brings the food, my daughter food was fine, but my bacon was burnt unedible. When the waitress came back to refill coffee, I told her that I wanted fresh bacon. She did not take plate, nor did she bring me another BLT sandwich. I allowed my daughter to eat her food. I turned over the placemat to the all white side and spelled "TIP" with the burned bacon pieces. Of course, it was rude, but her service was deplorable and I just wanted to get out. I paid the bill and left because the manager was not in. Since I frequent reguarly, I told him on my next visit and he gave me free dinner for two.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:01 AM

403 posts, read 1,196,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlottean View Post
20% all the time, even at the nice places.

I'm with Anifani, if the service is bad I let them know right up front.
Agreed. Never less than 20%..

Old 03-06-2008, 06:58 AM

569 posts, read 1,414,387 times
I always tip based on the service. If it's good almost always 20%. If it''s poor service the tip will reflect that. I have always worked on commision so I understand what it's like to depend on income other than your base salary. I however do believe that a tip is just that (a tip). It should not be expected when poor service is given.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte