Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 08:57 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,895,215 times

Advertisements

Unless we are talking about a totally different bread, roti is a flat Indian bread that can be purchased in one of the Indian grocery stores around town. I often order it in Indian restaurants. I know that Indian dishes are popular in the West Indies. Are we talking about the same thing? If we are talking about the same flat bread (similar to paratha or chapatti but thinner) it is readily available. If not, please inform me so I will know the difference
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 07:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulettet View Post
My name is paulette, I am from Guyana. I have a catering business in Raleigh, NC. Roti is not currently on menu, but I have thought about expanding it to include Roti. I have provided some for a few private parties and I am willing to do small orders.
Hi I would like to try out some rotis. Can place an order with you. I have some local friends here in NC who can also buy from you, if the quality and price is reasonable. You may email me directly at randivevinay on yahoo. Thanks.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:15 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,398,060 times
You won't find any Trini roti's here. Annthony is a waste of time, the menu is too commercial to be considered real carribbean food. Austin's on South Kings Drive have roti on their menu. I have not tried the roti, but could comment on their other food.

Coming from Brooklyn where I ate carribbean food all the time, you find that most places here does not measure up. Yeah, you find some spots, but they are still too commercial for me. Mama's on Central avenue is the best place so far for good food.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:53 AM

210 posts, read 604,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arussell View Post
Mama's on Central avenue is the best place so far for good food.
That place is good? I haven't tried it, but I drive past all the time and I don't think I've *ever* seen anyone eating there. I thought it had to be a money laundering operation or something, seriously. Has anyone else tried it?

Old 02-25-2009, 12:01 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,398,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan R View Post
That place is good? I haven't tried it, but I drive past all the time and I don't think I've *ever* seen anyone eating there. I thought it had to be a money laundering operation or something, seriously. Has anyone else tried it?
I was there two weeks ago and they were remodeling the place and adding a bar. Let's hope they fixed the window--it has been shielded by plywood since I moved her 20 months ago. I didn't let it deter me from entering. Mama's food is good--nothing like food in Brooklyn. I recommend this than all the other spots in Charlotte.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan R View Post
As they say, "One man's trash is another man's treasure". Being empty is a pretty good indicator of the qualityof food. I wonder what is the sanitation grade?

Old 02-26-2009, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arussell View Post
. Mama's food is good--nothing like food in Brooklyn. I recommend this than all the other spots in Charlotte.
Brooklyn food? Hummmm! do they have food in Brooklyn that isn't available in other parts of the world? Is it the water?

Old 02-26-2009, 08:20 AM

35 posts, read 68,287 times
I too am moving to Charlotte and (i am west indian) I saw that there is a a Golden Krust in Charlotte

Old 01-15-2013, 08:26 AM

2 posts, read 2,596 times
Try the Caribbean Hut 9509 N TRYON
Very traditional restaurant
They do not make their own Plain Roti / or dahlpuri
They hav them delivered and often run out
Very dissapointing they were out the day I went there
Try it and let me know

Old 01-15-2013, 08:29 AM

2 posts, read 2,596 times
Golden Krust DO NOT have Roti
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte